iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shoulda seen us hauling wood

Started by Robert R, November 10, 2006, 10:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert R

Unfortunately, no pics but Molly, Ginger and I hauled a full, measured cord 4.5 miles.  It took us an hour and a half but didn't burn a drop of gas doing it.  Only excitement came when one of those crotch-rocket backs blew by at about 80 miles and hour (we had about a mile of state highway to cover).  I thought a second we might just pass him back but they quickly calmed down.  Plan on splitting it this weekend and then back on the wagon to head to the auction and sell it.  It is 8.5 miles away.  But I'm not missing my truck yet.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

leweee

Hang in there Robert ;D  ....slow & steady wins the race.
Glad to hear true horse power is Gitten R Done. 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Dan_Shade

Sounds fun, Robert.  Did you break and train your horses?

I never really figured out how much went into animals for utility until a few years ago.  It's crazy, we live in a country where most people can't control their dogs, and yet people have horses, mules (do they listen?), oxen, etc... doing farm work and the likes.  Us humans can be pretty smart when we apply ourself! 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

Uncle's first team of his own where Bud and Sailor. Used to walk up to 10 miles to work with them. Yarded some, cut stovewood and such, few logs. Never really worked hard enough to make a living, but had a good time. Used to take the neighbors kids for sleigh rides around Christmas. Now the road is so busy with traffic you'de hardly dare walk it let alone ride a horse near it.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

That's  8)  We saw a six horse hitch pulling a plow last weekend.  First time I've seen that many hooked together on anything but the Budweiser Wagon ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Coon

That is awesome to hear that you got er done without a drop of gas.  We need alot more of that done.  What happened to those old work bee's?  People used to simply get together around these parts and cut one households firewood then they would move on to the next guys.  I remember my grandfather telling me that he rememberd there being about 15 people all working together with a few horses, a few saws and a few chains along with some mighty old hand labour.  The term strong backs and weak minds comes together when I think of this particular kind of situation.

Keep up the good work.  It'll make you stand proud in the end and may possibly bring back some old memories for someone when the pass you along the road.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Paschale

That is very, very cool!   8)

This reminds me of a story I heard on the radio a week or so back about horse logging.  Here's the link.  You can listen to the broadcast, as well as flip some photos of a horse logger and his horses.  There are some really interesting links as well.

I think I'll post this in the logging forum too...it's too cool to get buried.   ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Robert R

I bought these already trained.  I have trained some cow horses and will probably train my next set.  Six horses is a lot of thinking to stay ahead of them.  I've driven four but not well--luckily they knew their jobs well enough to ignore my stupidity and just go along and do it right. 

We hauled our bulk water tank today with 350 gallons of water.  They did fine with it but a few of the downhills really made me worried.  Even with their studded shoes, they were skiing and cutting grooves in the road.  Hopefully, the county won't follow the poop trail back to my place.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

SwampDonkey

No wheel brakes on the wagon?  ???

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I really enjoy your stories, Robert R 8) Keep them coming.No pictures of your water tank in your gallery.No pictures of you hauling wood.How can you tell a story without pictures?  ;D Why was you hauling 350 gallons of water?What is a cow horse?We use to have horses and oxens on the farm a long time ago.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Robert R

I use the water tank to fill stock troughs.  My water pressure here at home is so bad that it literally can fill a 40 gallon bucket when left running overnight.  I had a guy out yesterday to look at it and he says he can make it better and will come back early in the week.  In the meantime, that 350 gallons will last 4 days (only 2 in the summer).

A cow horse is basically a broke to ride horse that has also been taught how to work cows for moving herds, cutting out an individual cow, etc.  Just cowboy stuff.  There are classes for that type of thing in horse shows like cutting and penning, etc.  There also a very difficult to compete in class call Working Cow Horse.  I've never got one good enough to compete in that class.  The cow horses I work with wind up as trail horses that are not spooked by large animals and for places that actually still utilize horses for handling their ranching. 
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

thecfarm

Ws have events called team penning around here.It's really starting to catch on.Some clubs will put it on in the summer months and the Fairs are starting to let them come in and do it.Last all day and into the night.It's fun to watch.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raphael

I saw a video this past week presented at the Timber Framers Guild Eastern Conference by a horse logging outfit in VA.  They had an arch with a seat for the driver, very convienant once the log was out on a level ground, they are using a four horse team.
  Oxen are also making a comeback in the timber framing industry where low impact extremely selective logging is desired, they are smart enough to haul a load down to the yard unsupervised leaving the framer free to reduce tops, scout out and drop the next tree etc.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Patty

I think working animals are way cool. Drafts, oxen, even dogs that work are awesome. Becky says she could do all that if she wanted to.....she just doesn't want to.  ::) ::)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

They have some teams of oxen here at the historical sites for show. For some reason they don't winter them here, but I don't remember where they are taken.

Norm

leweee

:D :D :D :D :D    :o ::)   :D :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SwampDonkey

Gulp!  :o ::) :P

Hmm, maybe in their sausages. I don't dare eat their burgers, although one is just as bad as the other.  :'(

Coon

I'd rather eat a steady diet of Grits...... Yes, I said GRITS before I'd eat at Rotten Ronnies any day. :D :D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

beenthere

Why refer to it as "Rotten"  ???  Don't think they serve rotten food. I don't eat there out of choice, but other people apparently like it.   Now, you are not just a bit jealous of their success, are you?   :)

McD's has good competition now, and I think have to work hard to keep their customers. Back in the day when I walked up to buy the 19ยข hamburgers at the golden arch, the concept of fast food and many duplicated restaurants was new and very successful. A local restaurant (Culver's) is carving out a niche of their own, patterned after the McD's plan. They now are spread all over the MidWest at least.  They too are fast, but I think just as expensive. I like the idea that they(fast food places) usually have a clean restroom when travelling.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

Hey I like McD's we eat there for a special treat every so often. Much better than most places short of mom and pop shops, and some of them will get you on occasion. I like wally world too, not sure why some folks give these big chains a hard time. Don't have much opinion on grits, if they're made right pretty good.

Paul_H

We call it "the Scottish restaurant" :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

Well, it's like this around here, pay $10 for a plane breakfast at a fancy, pricey chain, or pay less than $6 for medium coffee, muffin, toast, egg, sausage/bacon and hash brown. Yup, I like the 'Golden Arches' on occasion to. I always go with chicken for the other meals, and no one beats their Fries made from Carleton County Potatoes processed by the 'French Fry Capitol of the world' at McCain Foods. And my father grew all kinds of them. Ok, I'm done crowing. ;D

I don't think Coon is jealous, he just has higher standards than the rest of us.  ;) 

I can think of one enterprise lots of people are jealous of or want to put out of business because of various health concerns. It ain't too legal (in most countries), but it's mighty successful.  :-X :-\

DanG

Hey Robert, lets get this back on track. ;D ::)

Have ya noticed that some horses seem to be born knowing how to work cows, and some will never learn?  I've got this big ol' mare that just loves it.  Nobody has been able to figure out her breeding, though.  She has a head like a Thoroughbred, a rump like a Quarterhorse, but has some natural gaits that make you think Standardbred.  I got her as a green-broke youngster, so I know she doesn't have any cow training, but she took to it like a fish to water.  On the other hand, I also have an Apaloosa gelding that couldn't hem one up if it was already in the chute! >:(  He's a good ol' trail horse, but is so slow footed the cow will be gone before he can move.  I guess some of'em have got it, and some don't, eh?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

hiya

When I was 16 I bought this smooth mouth mare that was brough in from Oklahoma (sp?). All you had to do was hang on. She knew how to work cattle. She could keep up with a car going 45 mph. I always won the barrow races.She was hard mouth though. You had to keep ahold of her or you went for a ride. Then the only sure brakes was to swing your leg across her back, Like you were getting off, she would come to a sliding stop. If I would have a small child with me I didn't have to hold the rines at all , she would only walk. Same if I had a calf on with me. I was 30 when I sold her.
Richard
RichardinMd.

Thank You Sponsors!