iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To the portable sawyers......

Started by hunz, December 11, 2014, 05:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunz

Do you leave your mill on site for a multiple day saw job, or haul it back with you at the end of every night? I sort of have inkerings towards both, just wanted to take a poll to see what everyone does.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

markkelly

Most of the time I will leave it on site, but if I have any concerns I will bring it home.
LT 10 Woodmizer, Stihl, Husquvana,wood carving tools, Ford 3000 Tractor, Trailer.

Chuck White

I usually leave my mill on site, sometimes up to a week, but there are a few places where I saw that I just don't feel comfortable leaving the mill, so it follows me home at the end of the day!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Leave it, if I'm not sure, I don't go for an extended stay.  Never had much thought, but one never really knows, thief's are thief's 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I have always left it on the job.  Weekends or whatever with no problem or concern.  I leave the head lowered and on the hitch end.  I never leave a blade on the sawmill overnight, but the water and fuel tanks stay.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hunz

Well I don't feel like a lone soul anymore. The reason I asked, is before I bought my Mizer, I paid a guy with an Lt-50 to saw at my place for 2 days. He insisted on taking his mill home with him, and hitting me for the set up fee twice......At the time I figured maybe it was standard practice; I now know different. The last job I did, I left my mill on site for a week, instead of an hour haul home every day. I half questioned leaving it due to the one sawyer I had dealings with. Thanks for the input fellas!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Tom the Sawyer

The great majority of my jobs are done in one day.  I have only left it on-site once and that was only because it took over 2 hours to get it into position and would have taken over an hour to get it out.  As it was, it poured rain and I couldn't get back in for 3 days due to soft ground.  By the time I could get my mill out of that location I had postponed two other jobs.  Never say never but it is very unlikely that I would put myself in that position again.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Peter Drouin

I use to take the hitch off the mill.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

dboyt

I leave it on site, if it looks secure, but always take off the blade, pull the key and remove the hitch.  Even it I take the mill home overnight, I only charge one set-up fee.  I'm more worried about vandalism than theft.  Might see what insurance would cover and act accordingly.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

slider

Magicman  does not worry because his mill is real PANK.Maybe someone will send him a couple of cans of hugger orange for christmas.
al glenn

Delawhere Jack

I'll leave it if it is a safe area. Leave the loading arms down and head towards the hitch. Unless someone is familiar with packing up an LT40 for travel, they won't be able to move it. Same would apply to other brand mills I'm sure.

reswire

If you have insurance, better check with your agent.   Be a shame to think it was insured, only to find out the darn thing was written for your yard only! ::)
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Chuck White

I left mine in a questionable place one evening, and didn't really sleep well that night.

My theft deterent was to leave a log that had one flat side on it, on the mill
and another large log on the loading arms.

I raised the log and put blocking under the arms and let the loader down to rest on the blocking!

Another theft/vandalism deterent would be a sign that says there is a camera watching the mill.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

I leave my mill on the job.  Gotta have faith in people.  Then again it is covered with a 20x40 tarp so most folks proberly dont even know what it is.  I left it on one job on mischief night, and then halloween night, didn't have any problems.  I didn't sleep so good the first night.  I lock the hitch too.  If I can I park a machine in front of the hitch.  Often times, if the job is not too far, I will haul the mill and set it up the afternoon of the day before I'm to be sawing, just so that I can get a full day in of sawing without having to setup the mill.
Boy, back in my day..

FarmingSawyer

I usually saw in remote places, but when I'm close to town I still leave the mill as it is usually set up in someone's driveway. I do pull the hitch, take the key, leave a log on the bed, etc. Anything which would deter someone from stealing the mill. I made sure when I got my insurance for the mill it covered everything--vandalism at my place or a jobsite, theft, acts of nature, etc. Just gotta hope them DanG terrorists don't target my mill......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Larry

Nothing is safe on my mill when I have a hacksaw in hand.

As a bonus it makes blade changes a lot easier.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

4x4American

Quote from: FarmingSawyer on December 13, 2014, 06:36:55 PM
I usually saw in remote places, but when I'm close to town I still leave the mill as it is usually set up in someone's driveway. I do pull the hitch, take the key, leave a log on the bed, etc. Anything which would deter someone from stealing the mill. I made sure when I got my insurance for the mill it covered everything--vandalism at my place or a jobsite, theft, acts of nature, etc. Just gotta hope them DanG terrorists don't target my mill......

Whaat you didn't opt for the terrorist insurance? 

lol me neither.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: Larry on December 13, 2014, 07:45:01 PM
Nothing is safe on my mill when I have a hacksaw in hand.

As a bonus it makes blade changes a lot easier.

What'd you cut that with a beaver or a butter knife??

lol just kidding!  nice mod, I might have to do the same.
Boy, back in my day..

Chuck White

backwoods sawyer

tracking unit and trail cams

But I am also 2 1/2 yr into a divorce and have an ex that has her sites set on the mill :snowball: smiley_thumbsdown
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

4x4American

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on December 14, 2014, 01:09:18 PM
tracking unit and trail cams

But I am also 2 1/2 yr into a divorce and have an ex that has her sites set on the mill :snowball: smiley_thumbsdown

uh oh!
Boy, back in my day..

JustinW_NZ

Around here I always leave mill onsite, but like others have said, head down to cover battery box, and once I took diesel tank off... Log on the deck is always good haha

Most jobs im at the mill would be there for a few days easily, a lot of very much out of the way however.

But I do kind of think you have to trust people a little bit..

Cheers
Justin

Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Thank You Sponsors!