iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Learning how to carve with a chainsaw

Started by dirthawger, November 15, 2017, 10:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirthawger

Im wanting to try to learn how to carve with chainsaw, I think i got a good light chainsaw which is the ms250. Wasnt sure on the bar i need but it looks like the same bar that's on a pole saw but wasnt sure.  Is this a skill you can learn well on your own? Im guessing youtube videos will be my best bet on learning material.  Any other content y'all think would be good for learning?

sawguy21

Oregon has carving bars with the mount to fit your saw for the fine work. They offer two types, quarter tip which is the diameter of the tip and uses .325 chain. No mods needed to your saw. The other is the dime tip which requires 1/4" pitch chain and corresponding drive sprocket.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Stihl sells carver bars, the highest quality 1/4" boat tail carver chain and accessories.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

I used to carve years ago in competition and for different exhibitions.
I started out originally with Oregon and Carlton 1/4"pitch chain but when I discovered Stihl 13RMS chain that's what I stuck with. Beautiful made chain already modified at the factory with a boat tailed cutter for more efficient carving.
A carver needs a large, medium and small saws to adequately carve . My smallest saw with a dime tip guide bar I preferred the 020/MS200T. Yes that's a T as in top handle which most carvers don't like.
They prefer to use a MS200 rear handle or equivalent for ease of holding. But I like the accuracy of my right hand (as I'm right handed) being the dominate hand on the top handle saw which makes it more accurate while carving.
As the pic shows of my dime tip bar I also have a handle attached to the bar for even more accurate detail in my carvings.
Look close at the Stihl 13RMS chain on my bar. With the Granberg break o mend also in the pic I made a full house loop of chain out of 2 loops. Even more fine detail in my work. I did this during many coffee and lunch breaks when I used to grade lumber at our local sawmill.

I was a "chainsaw only " carver. From my competitors days I didn't believe Dremils and chisel should be allowed in a true chainsaw craft. Just give me a chunk of wood and 3 chainsaws.

HolmenTree

To add to my last post.
Here is a 1980s "chainsaw only" carver from South Dakota who I looked up to. I even modified a few of my chains like his.
I never carved the entire alphabet on a 8 inch pencil though.:D

dirthawger

Thats some good information on saws i need.  I have a a ms391 and 250 but i reckon ill need a smaller saw too. As far as learning the craft, youtube gonna be the best route?

HolmenTree

The 391 and 250 are perfect to start with that's all you need . Just get the 250 setup with a Stihl carver bar  and a loop of their 13RMS chain.
Yeah YouTube can offer some good advice...luck of the draw on Google.
Just practice practice.

snowstorm

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 16, 2017, 01:39:38 PM
To add to my last post.
Here is a 1980s "chainsaw only" carver from South Dakota who I looked up to. I even modified a few of my chains like his.

ray is still at it. i had him make a totem pole for my wife. this was 5 or 6 yrs ago. he is on rt 1 in hancock maine. he told me a few stories about dropping wood on the left coast

gspren

I'd love to be able to do some carving but I lack artistic abilities, I'm guessing if you can't draw your carvings won't be too impressive.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

HolmenTree

Quote from: snowstorm on November 17, 2017, 06:24:09 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on November 16, 2017, 01:39:38 PM
To add to my last post.

ray is still at it. i had him make a totem pole for my wife. this was 5 or 6 yrs ago. he is on rt 1 in hancock maine. he told me a few stories about dropping wood on the left coast
That's awesome to hear snowstorm. He's been at it for a long long time . That article I showed about him was from well over 30 years ago.
There's a couple of young brothers doing a roadside carving  business in Rapid City North Dakota for a few years now . They got an endless supply of beetle killed Ponderosa pine in that region. Also famous for Mount Rushmore. Beautiful country I was there about 5 years ago.

HolmenTree

Quote from: gspren on November 17, 2017, 11:10:31 AM
  I'd love to be able to do some carving but I lack artistic abilities, I'm guessing if you can't draw your carvings won't be too impressive.
I know one carver who can't write, only print his name and he is one of the best carvers I met.
Tricks are sharp saws with a constant touch up and a little imagination and endurance.
We have a carving group here in Manitoba who teach carving every summer.
www.chainsawcarve.ca

snowstorm

I don't know if Ray is still doing his carving show or not. I went by there this summer and it looked like his gift sh0pwas open

Thank You Sponsors!