iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

20 acres of timber

Started by Crossroads, May 23, 2018, 10:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

The misses and I made a big step last night in the direction of the next chapter...... We made an offer on 20 acres of timbered land in the Idaho panhandle. If all the contingency are met and the offer is accepted, we'll start planning to build our own house which is something I've wanted to do for a long time. Who knows maybe I can even win one of those Wood Mizer contest??
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

I wish you the best.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

KirkD

Good job Kevin that is pretty country up there.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Sixacresand

Twenty acres of trees will keep and you all and a mill busy for a while.  I hope it works out for your wife and you.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

mike_belben

Congrats and best of luck.  Having your own forest is immensely fulfilling.  Its where i go to hide from my kids!
Praise The Lord

Treehack

That is awesome!  How did you go about locating the property?  I would love to do what you are as soon as the last of the kids heads off.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

WV Sawmiller

Good luck - Old Idaho USMC counterpart used to cite trivia "What is only US State bordered by 6 other states and a foreign country."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

After Sheila and I made it through building our house on nights and weekends.
Living in the basement for 6 months.
That's when you know you and the wife will make it  :D
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

I love traveling in Idaho, just don't do enough of it.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

reelman65

way to go! best of luck.
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

Crossroads

Quote from: Treehack on May 23, 2018, 01:54:15 PM
That is awesome!  How did you go about locating the property?  I would love to do what you are as soon as the last of the kids heads off.
It's been brewing for a couple years, but last summer we took a vacation and did sort of a tour of Idaho and found the area we liked. We've been watching Zillow and had found a place we were interested in, but it sold before we could get back to look at it. So, when we found this place, we decided to make the offer with the first contingency being an in person inspection by 7/4..

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Crossroads

Thank you for all of the well wishes, we're pretty excited about the possibility of this working out. 

Bruno, I can only imagine how trying that was. Our plan right now is that my job for the first year will be building the house. If I tried to do it while working it would never get finished, seems someone has a touch of A.D.D. Lol

thecfarm

That all sounds good. Might have to get a bigger tractor. ;)  Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Its okay to tell the wife some cute little timelines for now that she needs to hear in order to make the leap out of her comfort zone, but dont be surprised if the schedule goes out the window when you touch down. 

If you are both happy with your journey together, the time it takes to get a house up wont matter much.  Make it an adventure and remember to be flexible.
Praise The Lord

Crossroads

Lol, plan on selling the current tractor with the farm and upgrading to a skid steer and a dump trailer to be used while building the house. Plans are still pretty fluid though......

Crossroads

Thank you Mike, that seems like some good advice. 

Southside

I told my wife the house would be done by August, I just never said what year.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

Quote from: Southside logger on May 24, 2018, 09:36:05 AM
I told my wife the house would be done by August, I just never said what year.
Lol, my wife knows me well enough that'd ask what year. She always brings up the cedar strip built boat that I started 8 years ago, but to be fair, I haven't had a shop to work on it since we bought the farm 5 years ago. 

SawyerTed

Congratulations on the new property!  I know it's exciting.

My wife and I survived building our house.  I was the general contractor at age 26, we had just moved, I started a new job and we had a baby on the way.  

We dug the basement the day after our first daughter was born.  I learned not to get snared into the details that really didn't matter to me.  My wife dealt with those.  Things like light fixtures, wall paper, paint colors, carpet colors, countertops etc. I trusted her to handle.  I just installed them or had them installed.  She would pick 4 or 5 samples she liked then we would pick from those.  As long as she stayed in budget and kept us on schedule, it all worked out.  Much like being a contractor for anyone else. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

BradMarks

All right!  Near where? Hayden, Sandpoint, Bonner's Ferry?  Let's hope it works out for you. If they are willing to wait for you to make an inspection that's pretty awesome, considering land with trees gets gobbled up in a hurry.  I just took possession last week (I have the recorded deed :)) of 10 acres of timberland near Chiloquin. It was listed on line. Only view I had was Google Earth!  Sent in non-refundable document fee sight unseen, went over a few days later, and definitely got lucky (IMO). 100' tall fir and pine. No home opportunity but hunting and camping for generations to come.  So get on over there!, snow is melting off.  And good luck. 

DDW_OR

Idaho gets a LOT more snow than Oregon. I grew up in Montana by Glacier Park
plan on having a covered deck.
Basement? if so then daylight basement 8)

post some floor plans.
Laundry shoot, and a dumb waiter to haul stuff between floors, instead of carrying it up/down the stairs.

I suggest putting up a pole barn first. at least 30x50 with 16 foot walls. can park an RV inside while you work on the house.
"let the machines do the work"

mike_belben

Campers/RVs have an awful short lifespan if they arent under a canopy unfortunately.  No matter how expensive they are, the roof sealant still eventually cracks and leaks. 
Praise The Lord

Crossroads

Wow, I don't think I could do this with a baby on the way, that definitely an accomplishment! 
The property is south of post falls, we were looking in the st Marie's area, but it just didn't seem like the employment opportunities were there for my wife and commuting to anywhere from there was a no go. 

A pole building is part of the plan for a place to put the RV and have room to stretch. 

We don't have any house plans yet, I drew out a rough sketch a few weeks ago, but it only had 1 bathroom and I was told to go back to the drawing board lol   

I've lived in Alaska for a few years, so the snow isn't scaring me, yet. I've pointed the snow out to the wife and she says she's ready to trade snow for all the rain. 

DDW_OR

for trail cameras i can recommend the Cuddeback Scouting Cameras - CuddeLink

up to 15 cameras transmits photos back to the HOME camera
CuddeLink automatically daisy-chains cameras to extend range to over 4 miles, making CuddeLink deployable on properties of hundreds or thousands of acres.

In June 2018 they will release the CuddeLink Home Plus that has USB connection for your computer.
"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!