iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Remote Wilderness Cabin at an Old Mine

Started by fred in montana, December 28, 2014, 08:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

bigred1951

Just wondering if there has been updates on this at all if it's finished now. I know it's been over a year old but I always kept an eye on it just waiting.

flyingparks

Quote from: bigred1951 on November 01, 2017, 09:11:58 PM
Just wondering if there has been updates on this at all if it's finished now. I know it's been over a year old but I always kept an eye on it just waiting.

X2

Weekend_Sawyer

Unfortunately Fred hasn't been on since July of 2016.

Maybe he's living off the grid at his cabin.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

fred in montana

Hello. It's been a long time since my last post. A lot has happened since then. I moved and began building a new house which has taken almost all of my free time. I have been in to the cabin a few times but not as much as I would like. Hopefully this year will be different since I am getting closer to finishing the house.

I made a little progress on the cabin:

Some interior chinking and I installed a window sash..

Framed up an outhouse:

And even did a little detecting. Not sure what it is but maybe a collar that went on a shaft between a nut and a wheel?

The cabin still has no permanent roof on it. It is covered with 1x6 t&g boards and a tarp. I should be able to get a roof on it this summer.

As far as the tools I used: Chainsaw, drawknife, wood chisel, hammer, tape measure and log dog.
woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

scsmith42

Hi Fred, thanks for the update.

My disk harrow has some collars that look just like that, but in your area it's more likely from a wagon wheel.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

barbender

Good to hear from you, Fred! I think of you all the time, because pictures of that one cabin you built are all over the internet!👍🏼
Too many irons in the fire

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

PA_Walnut

Looks like a FINE place to set up a still!  :D ;D

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

fishfighter

He would need a running stream for that. ;D

ESFted

Sure am glad to see you back, Fred.  I was afraid the fires got your cabin.  Looking forward to more updates.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Grizzly

2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

reride82

Glad to hear from you Fred! I too, was starting to wonder about you.

Quote from: ESFted on February 06, 2018, 12:19:34 PM
Sure am glad to see you back, Fred.  I was afraid the fires got your cabin.  Looking forward to more updates.

I think Fred's cabin was in relative safety from last year's fires. Most of the big ones were quite a ways west of the Helena area, concentrated more around Missoula-Seeley Lake area, although I'm sure he got his fair share of the smoke and poor air quality like the rest of us in Montana.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

firefighter ontheside

This is amazing.  Thanks for letting me share in the adventure.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

catalina

Thanks for the update! Your adventures at the cabin have hit a soft spot for a lot of us!!

Autocar

That collar you showed in the picture looked to me like a out side collar of a circle sawmill. But all I can say is what a great adventure what memories you must have .
Bill

doug blotz

Thanks for sharing Fred. I live in Butte, and see similar places in the back country nearby and daydream about what it would be like to build a little getaway cabin there. You are living the dream. Enjoy.  

fred in montana

Well it has been a while! Sorry my friends for the long delay!

All is well at the mine cabin. It is done now except for some small improvements.  8) I get up there quite often now. I made a youtube video of a recent trip. You can find it if you search for "remote mine cabin 6-2020"

woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

getting ready for work this eve.  after watching that, I just want to retire, and go camping!  nice.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Hilltop366

Wonderful!

I pressed "Like" but I would press it twice if I could.

How did you get those big roof logs up there?

barbender

What a beautiful spot, and nice looking work to match, Fred!👍👍
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

As always, thank you for sharing your adventures Fred.  smiley_thumbsup Don't stay gone so long. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

As if I wasn't jealous before and now this.  I'm with Doc.  I'm gonna retire and buy me a mine in MT.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!