iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peach Wine

Started by highpockets, July 07, 2006, 06:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highpockets

I got into making wine about three years ago.  I am not too much of a drinker but I enjoy seeing what I can do with it.  My friends pretty well take care of anything I can get finished that taste like drinking.  I was wondering if anyone had ever made wine from peaches.  I've done blackberries, pears, plums, muscadines, but not peaches.

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

WH_Conley

Yep, works the same, just a little harder to strain.
Bill

jrokusek

I did strawberry wine and watermelon wine a few years ago.  YUCK!  You'd think it would be good but I could hardly drink it. 

Rhubarb wine is good and I recommend trying that if you can get some.  I'd be curious to see how your peach wine turns out.

Jim

Coon

You could probably not handle hooch very well then if you couldn't handle watermelon and strawberry wine.  That is unless it turned to vinegar before you syphoned it off.

I have made many many gallons of wine and have had my turn at the ol' still on da hill thing. 

Peach wine is very good and often people put too much sugar in it, making it too sweet to drink.  Personally I don't use any more than I have too.  Peaches don't often last long enough around here to make it into wine.  they usually get canned or made into jam or peach crisp before they get thrown into the wine barrel.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

ohsoloco

jr, mix those strawberries and rhubarb together to make a really tasty wine  :)

Ed_K

Try blueberry, low bush as they are sweeter  ;D.
Ed K

gary

The most unusual homemade wine i ever had was corn cob wine.  It surprized me cause it was so good

Woodcarver

I've never made peach wine, but I sampled a batch that one of my wife's brothers  made several years ago.  It was excellent, one of the better home-made wines I've tasted.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Daren

My aunt made some a few years back. I am not a big homemade wine fan, but it was pretty tasty. In fact it was good enough it I decided to try making some wine myself...I did not have the same success. That was the only time I tried to make my own. She makes it off and on for a hobby, she doesn't even drink she just likes tinkering. She has had us try some of her experiments that weren't so good. The peach was her best.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

highpockets

Thanks guys, pear has been the best I have made.  I don't drink it but my friends like me to keep them stocked.  One guy brought me 75 lbs of sugar and 9 gallons of plums.  I did get 10 gallons of peaches yesterday. They were almost ruined. I seeded them, pealed and froze for future attempts.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Don_Papenburg

My wife is going to attemt mulberry wine today .  We have an abundant supply of mulberries.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Tom

Unlike blackberry or Raspberry, mulberry is a mild flavor.   You really have to work to keep the taste when it's cooked.   I like them.

highpockets

You might try this guy. He is from Leesville, La but now lives in Texaswinemaking.jackkeller.net

Louisiana Country boy

jrokusek

Quote from: Coon on July 07, 2006, 12:26:35 PM
You could probably not handle hooch very well then if you couldn't handle watermelon and strawberry wine.  That is unless it turned to vinegar before you syphoned it off.

It wasn't that it was strong, it's just that the flavor of the yeast was as strong as the fruit flavor.  Both had a real strange, almost artificial flavor about them.  I did buy the fruit in a regular grocery store though.....

I have some mulberry wine on hand here.  It has a very light flavor.  Mine is very dry....almost too dry for my taste.  Not bad.  I still prefer my mulberries in a bowl with a touch of sugar and lots of cream!

Jim

Jim

Sprucegum

The secret to a really good wine is to use really good berries.

Overripe or underripe or bruised fruit will make wine allright but if you want a wine that will make your friends say "DANG THAT'S GOOD" you gotta use fruit that tastes that good before you turn it into wine.

Peach is a good strong fruit flavor and will be a hit with people who usually don't drink much wine.

Good Luck and enjoy.

highpockets

I've got five gallons of peach wine brewing now. Just finished three gallons of Mayhaw.  Also 8 gallons of plum. 
Louisiana Country boy

tlooney

I tried to make wine at one time but could never get it just right so went to making beer and according to all who have tried it I guess I got it just right. ;D
Lucasmill 827
Kubota tractor with forks
current project: finished solar kiln now trying to sell lumber

Sprucegum

I tried to make beer one time but it went flat on me so I used it to marinade a pig we were going to roast. It was one of those suckiling pigs with the head and feet still on it ( about a 45 pounder). The only container big enough to soak it in was the bathtub.
When the wife came home from work I forgot to mention the pig in the tub havin a beer bath.
She let out a scream that scared the neighbors  ;D  ;D

tlooney

I made a batch of really dark beer awhile back, and I thought the first ferment was done so I put the airlock on and since it was chilly I also wrapped a heating pad around the five gallon bottle of beer.

Well around six in the morning there was a loud pop and splush and I got up to find about two gallons of beer all over the dining room :o (Did I mention that I was making it in the house?)

Well needless to say I don't make it in the house no more. ;D
Lucasmill 827
Kubota tractor with forks
current project: finished solar kiln now trying to sell lumber

jrokusek

What brand of yeast do you guys use for wine?   The stuff I have makes everything taste about the same.

Sprucegum

I use LALVIN champagne or sherry yeast, depending on what I 'm making. Its made in Canada - Montreal area I believe. Each little packet is good for a 5 gallon batch.

johncinquo

I just dumped out 10 gallons of peach "wine".   It turned to vinegar.  Tasted like carp from the begining so I am not sure why I kept it around as long as I did.  Just didnt want to admit failure I guess.   I was my 14th batch of home made stuff, first to go bad. 

I have done mixed berry wine, strawberry wine, cherry wine, several batches of beer including a raspberry hefeweisen (MMMMmmmmm) newcaste dark ale, and a holiday spiced ale. 

I was talking with a farmer the other day and he has done 100s of batches, and will never try peach again.  He said it was always hard to get to come out right and just not worth the effort. I dont feel so bad now.   I gave him a bottle of my mixed berry to try.   There was a bushel basket of fresh tart cherries on my doorstep when I got home the next day.   Its nice living in Mayberry!
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

highpockets

I put on 3 gallons of peach just to see how it does.  A friend called yesterday and had three trees loaded with figs. Guess what.  5 gallons of fig.  Each Wednesday a bunch of famers, etc have lunch at the camp.  Many love my peer wine. Now they are sending sugar and juices for me to make wine.  One guy brought 75 lbs of sugar and two cases of half gallon bottles.  I don't even drink they stuff.   
Louisiana Country boy

highpockets

We are experimenting with fig wine and also some canalope wine.  Why not ? 
Louisiana Country boy

jrokusek

Quote from: jrokusek on July 20, 2006, 11:20:17 PM
What brand of yeast do you guys use for wine?   The stuff I have makes everything taste about the same.

I used Montrachet and haven't been real happy with it, except for rhubarb....real nice flavor for rhubarb wine.

johncinquo - sorry to hear that you had to dump your peach wine.   Been there, done that, hated to do it.

Jim

Thank You Sponsors!