iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How far will you go?

Started by swampfox66, November 01, 2018, 11:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampfox66

Good evening all. I was curious how far you loggers/timber harvesters will travel on average to harvest a tract. I understand that there are several factors including the timber itself, mill proximity, the economy, etc., but if you could please share what you think is average and what was the furthest you've gone that would help me better understand. Thank you and God bless. 

BargeMonkey

I normally try and stay within 1hr from home, anymore than that your bringing a shop trailer and staying up there. The next 3yrs with the exception of this solar farm I doubt I go 10mins from home. 

barbender

I routinely drive 1 to 1 1/2 hours one way, sometimes even 2 hours- but someone else is paying me to do it.
Too many irons in the fire

Skeans1

We go as far as 2.5 hrs on the pavement plus whatever the main lines will take. Right now it's 45 minutes on pavement and 1/2 hr on main line closest to home we've been in a year.

timberking

We will go 100 miles for the right tract i.e. bullit proof winter ground.  Have trucked hdwd logs 250.

Autocar

When I was a young man I would stay in a motel all week or till the job was finished. Up to 150  miles was pretty common. Later in years we would drag a camper with use which was a lot of fun camp fire at night, cooking on a open fire. But now I like to work within thirty miles of home.
Bill

mike_belben

Ya know, that does sound like fun.  When my boy is driving age i think ill aim to do that for a while with him just to put it in the memory bank. 
Praise The Lord

bill m

Almost all of my jobs are within 10 miles of home. Never been more than 20.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Nemologger

I go wherever. If the timber is good . In the last 5 years I been 5 min from home.
Clean and Sober

swampfox66

Thanks everyone. That helps a lot. I figured there were some that wouldn't travel very far regardless, but I wasn't sure if there were many that would travel farther. Thanks again. 

Thank You Sponsors!