iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forwarding Trailer

Started by Rick-Wi, October 06, 2002, 08:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick-Wi

I am looking into building a Forwarding trailer that can be towed behind a 3/4 ton PU with tow package. I am thinking a side load ramps, with rolling the loggs up on the trailer with a elecric winch would be the best way. I need a eazy way to pick up loggs with out having to bring other support equipment along. Would be hauling nothing over 16', and 3-4 30" loggs max.

Anyone have comments or pic's of anything they have in opperation?

Thank you,
Rick-Wi

DanG

Rick,  Fla-Deadheader has a rig that might interest you.  He posted some pics a few weeks ago, and I think they are on the Sawmills Forum.  I'm thinking of adding this contraption to my trailer.  If I can find it, I'll post a link.
DanG
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Rick, here(I hope) is the pic of the trailer.

It's a pretty simple rig, really.  When you flop the arch rearward, it overhangs the rear of the trailer. When you pull it forward, with the log attached, it lifts the log, and drags it forward, to rest on the rear of the trailer. Then you hook the winch directly to the log, and drag it onto the trailer.

Thanks for locating this for me, Tom.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Rick-Wi

Dan,

Thanks for the Pic.

I am still leaning twards a side load trough. I guess not many people use this type though. I will keep at it and if anything comes up, or we make one I will post picks here.

Rick-Wi

Kevin

Rick,
Payeur has what you`re looking for, it`s called the Wheeler.

It looks like the Forester below but it`s a fifth wheel for a truck.

Rick-Wi

Keven, You are right that is what I need. But Now if I could just find a buyer for all those Chicken lips I been saving.. HeeeHee. Also what I am looking for is something that is eazy to load, low impact and menuverable in tight urban areas. I have one now I have to get out, a 100' to the crown, Black Cherry, 40' to the first branch. 30" chest height. Residential in a 2 mil property. I can have the logs but do as little damage as possable.. Otherwise they will cut it to be land fill.

Rick-Wi

Kevin

DanG

Rick, I've been envisioning this same scenario...big, beautiful log, trapped on a big, beautiful, lawn. You don't want to put the truck/trailer on the grass, but you don't want to waste the log, either.
What I've been thinking of, is a twin-arch setup.  Build 2 arches, with some structure above them, for leverage. Place the arches at either end of the log, with the upper structure angled outward, toward the ends of the log.  Secure the arches to the log with chokers, then place a winch, of some sort between them, secured to the tops of the upper structures. Use a heavy-duty "come-a-long" for this. When you tighten the winch, it will bring the tops of the arches together, lifting the log free of the ground, so you can roll it to a place where you can load it, without damage to the turf.

Maybe one of you "arteests" can comprehend what I'm trying to say, and render it into a drawing that "normal" folks can understand.  ;D

SawBilly

Kevin,
I like the look of the picture, (course I always like pictures  ;D)
with a bit of inginuity(sp?) one could add a couple of hydraulic cylinders and an electric 12 volt pump and have about the same thing as loading arms on the sawmill. I even though about mounting the arms about 18" higher than the bed so I could get a couple layers of logs on the trailer.

Anybody mess much with hydraulics? northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company has a bunch of stuff, just haven't seen it put together before.

of course the winch can help move the logs back and forth on the trailer too!

C_Miller

Anybody ever built a log trailer starting with a boat trailer?
CJM

Tom

I haven't but I've seen boat trailers smushed to the ground when someone put a log on them. :D

Thank You Sponsors!