iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Modded Saw Mania!!!

Started by rahtreelimbs, April 26, 2005, 09:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rahtreelimbs

Besides Russ, Gypo, Wolfer and myself who has a modded saw? What is it and who built it???

Non-instagators only!!! ::)
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

stihltech

Still have Frankenstein. gonna run it one more year.

logger

I don't have a modded saw yet, but maybe want one!!!!!  How would be a Stihl 440/460/660 or husky 570, 575 or 385 be?  Who is the best modifier?  How much do they cost?  Which one would be best modded?
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

rahtreelimbs

Quote from: logger on April 26, 2005, 10:39:42 PM
I don't have a modded saw yet, but maybe want one!!!!!  How would be a Stihl 440/460/660 or husky 570, 575 or 385 be?  Who is the best modifier?  How much do they cost?  Which one would be best modded?

I have saws modded by several builders. For my money Ed Heard (EHP) gets the thumbs up!!!
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

Rob

Hey Rich ,

385XP Husky , by Dan Henry still kickin ass after 3 years of use

jokers

Quote from: logger on April 26, 2005, 10:39:42 PM

Asking "Who is the best modifier?" is like pulling the pin on a grenade and then not throwing it. I can tell you who I`ve had good results from and who I would consider and then leave the rest to others to share their good experiences.

The most successful I`ve been with any builder is with Ed Heard. I have a boatload of saws done by him and several of them I consider exceptionally improved over stock. The 460 Mag, 385xp, 346xp, and 359 come to mind.

Second to Ed only because I only have one saw from him, is Ken Dunn, but his reputation is well known. I`d have more KD saws if my timing had been better, but since it seems that Ken is working on an extremely limited basis, I don`t know if I`ll be able to get another.

My next most satisfying saw builder experience is with Walker`s Saw Shop. They don`t claim to get all that other builders get from a saw but they are also significantly cheaper and exceptionally fast in getting the saws out. If a warmed up stock saw delivered quickly is what you need, the Walker`s probably can`t be beat. The Walkers are also very nice people to deal with.

Next is Dennis Greffard. Dennis gets more from a saw in my experience than a shop like Walker`s and he always treated me well, but several others have had issues with him. Caveat emptor?

I`ve also heard that Dave Neiger from Michigan is getting good gains from certain saws like the Efco 962 and the Husky 357xp. I`ve never seen any of his saws that I know of so I can`t comment about the gains, but two guys that I know, Tony Marks and Eric Copsey both like Dave and his product. Dean Hylton is another builder who frequents this forum although I know nothing of his product either.

The bottom line is to ask as many people as you can, off-line, what their experiences are with all of the different builders and what models they do best at, then talk first hand with the builders you are considering and determine exactly what they propose to do for you before sending a saw or money.

Russ

jokers

Quote from: Rob on April 27, 2005, 08:25:31 AM
Hey Rich ,

385XP Husky , by Dan Henry still kickin *Dunk-ey after 3 years of use

I dunno Rob, I think that saw is evil! ;D Isn`t that the one that you nearly bucked your foot off with?

Good to see you around, how`s business?

Russ

redpowerd

dozer dan made me a woods DCS 7300 this winter. goes like stink.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

twoodward15

Do you guys use these for cutting wood or for sport???  How much better than a stock saw do they run???  This is the first I've heard of a mod saw for daily use.  Are we talking about a half horse difference or more?  Any websites so I can look them up?
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

saw_nut

Ed Heard is doing three saws for me now; 346 Husky, 361 and 088 Stihl. The saws will see daily use logging. Every new saw I get in the future will be going his way also.

Rob

Hey Russ ,

Ya your right that is the Evil saw that took my toe just bout clear off .. but hey it's still kickin..lol..both me and the saw .. bout time to get a new saw though it's been a while .. As for biz well lets just say  I gave it up for the time being sold all my equipment except for my saws of course...Well keep intouch Russ..u got my email ..shoot me one when u get a chance

rahtreelimbs

Good to hear from you Rob. I stopped participating over at the "other place." Stay intouch!!! ;D

Minnesota_boy

I modified my Stihl MS180.  It would hardly run so I removed the muffler and took out the screen and cleaned it.  Some day I may put it back in the muffler. ::)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

OLD_ JD

Minnesota_boy,long time ago i hade a homelite who was mod like ure's too... :D :D :D..glad the husky came in canada after that ;)   That saw i belive his stil in the 'bush" somewhere  ::)
canadien forest ranger

Rob

Hey Rich I hear you there trust me .. I think it's bout time for me to get a new 7900 or something in that range..wont be for a lil while yet but lookin at them :)

tony_marks

add me to the list. yep i think modded work saws are much better. mine are modded by dan an dave. i suspect theres posters here that have little said about them . that also can make u saw a lot better.jmo

redpowerd

if you enjoy spending time cutting wood, dont get one.

i hardly ever spend time running the saw anymore, now its just picking up wood or picking a tree
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

leweee

Jon.....those modded saws sure make alot of short firewood.
COOKIES
Here's Rick" loven every minute of it"
8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

redpowerd

that will strech your saw time.

hedgerows also work

keep the stumps high for the dozer
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Captain

Fully Walkerized MS460, Walker muffler on a 066 MAG, the MS360 is next.  I use the MS460 for EVERYTHING but the smallest work.  The 066 comes out for the big bucking and felling.

Probably going to go with a Dozer Dan mod on a Dolmar 7900 soon...I'm soon to be a Dolmar Dealer it looks.

Captain

YUKON 659

Unfortunately I do not own a saw that was built by a saw builder. I just recently made an attepmt to do some modifications to a Husky 288 that I have. I machined the cylinder base, opened up and polished the exhaust port and matched it to the muffler. I also opened up the muffler a little. Saw seems to run stronger than stock but until I run it against a bone stock saw I won't know for sure.
Hey Russ and Rich Wazzup????? I gotta come over here to talk to you guys!!!!

Jeff

jokers

Hi Jeff, Welcome to The Forestry Forum!

I`ll see you at Hancock won`t I?

Russ

YUKON 659

Yeah Russ, I'm still planning on it. I'd like to see how my 288 stacks up to the "real" saws LOL

Jeff

rahtreelimbs

Quote from: YUKON 659 on April 29, 2005, 01:48:18 PM
Hey Russ and Rich Wazzup????? I gotta come over here to talk to you guys!!!!

Jeff

Pretty much!!!

I am not posting over at the place we met anymore!!!

They don't deserve the posts!!!

Thank You Sponsors!