iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ever see a plastic tunnel that you grow trees in?

Started by Modat22, March 17, 2006, 07:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

Hello everyone, I had a mental flash back today about a show I saw on beyond 2000 a LONG time ago (15 plus years). A company was growing trees in a upright plastic tunnel. From what I remember it caused the trees to grow tall very fast with few branches on the trunk. After it reaches a certain height  they allow the tree trunk to widen by not increasing the height of the tunnel.

Can someone tell me what this is called so I can look up more information about it?

Thanks
remember man that thy are dust.

bitternut

This is a link to the type that I have used. They work pretty good but will require some attention from time to time. If you have deer you will need at least 5' tubes. I started out with wooden white oak stakes but gave up on them and went to 1/2" heavy wall emt tubing cut into 5' lengths. You have to cover the tops with netting to keep birds out but some get blown off and cavity nesting birds will get in them and die. The dead bird decaying will usually kill the seedling if it is not close to exiting the top of the tube. You should go around in early fall and raise the tubes up an inch or so to harden the seedlings before winter. In the spring you will have to reset the tube into the ground and maybe replace the ties and top netting. During the summer you will have to be very careful checking the seedling in the tube. Wasps like to construct nests in the tubes. Don't ask me how I know. Once the seedlings exit the tubes you will also have to keep an eye out for Gypsy Moths. They like to hide in them during the day and climb up the tree at night to defoliate your small tree. I have purchased several hundred of them and have spent many hours keeping them in shape. They are a lot of work but necessary  if you have any deer or rabbits.

http://www.treessentials.com/products/tubex_shelters.htm

Modat22

remember man that thy are dust.

Murf

For what it's worth, up here they don't plant any trees in parks or on road-sides without them. They do a great job at stopping mice & rabbits from girdling the young trees.

I don't know if they are the same or not, but these ones here fall apart after a few years, when the tree gets to the size of the tube the tube merely splits and falls off.

They also make it really easy to spot the small trees so they don't get run over when they mow the road-sides.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Thank You Sponsors!