iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questions about Woodmaster Planer

Started by woodman58, March 14, 2013, 09:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodman58

Good morning everyone,
I have a few questions about the 718 planer. I am getting one soon.

1) How many of you use the planer to add value to the wood you saw?
2) What is a good up charge for planning to 3/4"?
3) How many of you have molding capabillity?
4) Do you have any issues with the power or maintainance?

If any of you can help me with these questions it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

woodworker9

I used to charge $.75 per bf for both jointing flat and planing to thickness, S2S, as an added value.  Nobody around my parts was flattening the wood first on a jointer, and I could handle wide boards up to 24" with my 24" Yates American jointer. 

I had one guy drive 3 hours one way to get several 20" wide walnut slabs flattened and planed.

I also ran a Williams and Hussey moulder for years to make hardwood mouldings being sold to local builders.  That went very well until the new construction economy took a dump in 2007.  I think it's starting to come back around here, as there are a few new homes being built for the first time in a very long time.

I think offering the value added stuff can only help your business, but you've got to sell an market well in your area to afford the machinery and the custom knife grinding, etc, knife sharpening, etc.....

I was also using all this equipment for my woodworking business.

Jeff
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

JSNH

What are you using for planner blades in your yates? I have one with square heads and I am thinking of upgrading the head.

Thank You Sponsors!