iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price of White Pine Logs? (Ontario)

Started by dbnair, February 05, 2010, 04:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbnair

Hello,
I am looking to buy white pine logs to mill on my LT40hd to build my barn.

Is there a place I can find the going rate $ for Eastern White Pine logs?

Looking for logs ~16' long and 20"-32".

Also, tried contacting local logging companies. Any other suggestions?

Thank you,
Grant

nas

Welcome to the forum

Have you tried contacting some local foresters?  Some times they will know who is cutting pine.
Depending on quality, prices can range from $400-800/1000.
Where in Ontario are you?

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

SwampDonkey

I have a NB price list with pine on it, but it might not apply up there.

http://www.ysc.nb.ca/PRICELIST.html

You have to go near the bottom of the list. White pine price has dropped a lot in price since a couple years. Now around $400/1000 for a perfect log and laughable for a grade three. When I see those prices, I say to myself they don't need pine. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

I sold around 110K bd ft of pine logs last year, pallet grade at $120 and select at $370/thousand.  too bad you weren't closer I could hook you up.  While the prices aren't great, I get so much pine from my tree service companies that I am happy the concentration yard takes it.  After delivering a few loads of mostly pallet and number 2's it is a real eye opener when I get a check that is from a load that had a few #1 or selects in it. A nice 16 foot 20 inch select can pay as much as the rest of the pallet logs in the load 8)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

Kinda like gas prices eh? When the price drops $0.05 a gallon when it's $4.00, tickled pink. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dbnair

Thank you to everyone for your advice and response.

I live on a farm near Peterborough on 200 acres. 100 of it is mixed bushlot. Years ago I milled the lumber for my horse stalls by hand with an Alaskan chainsaw mill with a Stihl 066. That was slow and a huge amount of work. Last summer I picked up a Woodmizer LT40HD28 with 250 hours. It is amazing how fast, accurate and efficient it is. I work during the day as a computer consultant and at night and weekends as a farmer. So I don't have the time to harvest my own wood, so I thought I would buy the logs for this next big project a 100x180' riding arena and mill them on the weekends in prep for doing the building this summer.

Tanks again.
Take care,
Grant

wdncno

Hi-I too live around Peterborough-  Logs  like you are looking for should be around $400 to $500 per 1000 bd ft.  Good luck-  If you can't find anything pm me and maybe I can put you onto someone- Michael

pep

dbnair

Here in Northern Ontario (Temiskaming Forest) the going rate for EWP is around 80 dollars /tonne or around 3500 - 4000 per load average of 45 ton.  I bought 2 loads of oversize a few years ago, paid 80/ton for 1 load and 58/ton for the other.  Hope this helps.

Cheers

Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Thank You Sponsors!