iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Seeking tips for debarking White Pine in Southern Ontario

Started by SoggyDonuts, February 04, 2016, 11:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoggyDonuts

So I'm just watching YouTube videos and reading posts, but I'm not sure how or what to believe.   I was hoping folks might have some tips for a beginner to debarking.   It seems that certain types of wood are easier to debark, depending on when you fell them.  Does anyone happen to know the best time of year (southern Ontario)?  I heard that if you soak them in water, the bark peels right off and no bugs?  I'm not sure about that one, but it would be possible.  Thanks in advance for any guidance.

beenthere

Best time of the year is at that moment when the new growth cells are forming in the cambial layer.
Usually when the buds start to break open, and in pine, when the candles spring forth at the tips of the branches.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, SoggyDonuts. What are you planning to build?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

Best time to peel almost anything up here is right at the time the black flies are out and wanting to eat you ......  ::) :o  Here it would be midle of May , I am north of Ottawa.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

SoggyDonuts,welcome to the forum.
I peel hemlock at just about mid may until about the first part of July. Will peel real easy,but start to stick in July. I ran my saw the full length of the log then get the spud to do the rest. Don't step on the bark,it's some slippery.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SoggyDonuts

I'm just looking to attempt a modest-sized hunting cabin.  There's a possibility I might make a new outhouse for starters.  Thank you all so much for taking some time to answer my inquiry, truly appreciated!

Thank You Sponsors!