iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roadbuilding

Started by Scott, November 13, 2002, 03:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

Hello
    In my area i've seen both excavators and bulldozers used to build roads. Both machines have their advatages and disadvatages. I'm just looking for some other people's opinions on roadbuilding techniques.
 Thanks

Tillaway

As far as I can tell excavators have replaced dozers for nearly all new road road construction.  They excel at clearing and grubbing, culvert placement, and are essential for full bench road construction.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Gordon

In my area both are used.

Here is a cool listing of a great link on forest road building.
COOL FOREST ROADBUILDING LINK

Gordon

Paul_H

Welcome Scott,
Good to have another Canadian aboard 8)

All road building in our district is done primarily with excavators,for all the reasons mentioned by Tillaway.But nearly all companies have a bulldozer working with the excavator,for spreading,pulling trucks,etc.

It is getting harder to find a catskinner these days.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Scott

Thanks for replying. Like I said, around here both machines get used. In my opinion both machines have thier stong points and are capable of making some nice roads. For some reason i find it a little sad to see the old dozers giving way to the excavators. I still think that a when a dozer is equiped and used right it can make some nice roads. I'd like to see any roadbuilding pictures you guys have.

Gordon

Here is another link to some pretty interesting reading about roadbuilding. It's the Army field manual.

Earthmoving Operations

Gordon

Ron Scott

Road construction, reconstruction, maintenance, and closure is often an issue or concern on any timber harvest area. Thus, another important reason for having a timber sale contract spelling out the the terms of whats expected for the roads.

Many of the environmental issues often result from the logging roads and not the logging method itself. A reason why road closures and roadless areas are advocated.

~Ron

Scott

That military manual was pretty interesting, thanks.

dan-l-b

Hey Scott, As a small operator I use a compact excavator.  The dozer blade cuts great and except for size, my CE has the same capablities as the big boys.  One exception though, I set mine up to tow my forwarding trailer into the woods and with the help of a self-latching hitch, I can couple and uncouple without leaving the seat of my excavator.  Alll I have to do is load logs 8) 8) 8)

Norm

We would like to (actually me the wife isn't so sure) get a small excavator to use here for our farm, new lanes in fields, land clearing, ditch digging and such. I was wondering what size to get that won't break the bank yet still do the job. Any suggestions to make and model?

dan-l-b, which one are you using?

Phil

dan-I-b,

How big of a log can your mini-ex tote?  

Norm,

There are also some mini-loaders on the market that have backhoe attachments that might be good for on-the-farm use (and I think they're probably cheaper than the dedicated mini-excavators).  Kanga ( www.kanga-loader.com ), the Toro Dingo ( www.toro.com ) and the Power-Trac ( www.power-trac.com ) are three of those.

Phil

Norm

Thanks Phil, I appreciate the links. These units would be too small for what I want to use them for. I should have been a little clearer in my original post, sorry. I'm thinking more in the size of a small to mid-size commercial excavator. Right now I have a Woods 1050 backhoe for my JD7210 and even it is too slow and not strong enough.

L. Wakefield

one of the sticking points for me on this debate is the utility of the 6-way blade on a dozer. i hadn't encountered any mini-excavators with anything but a straight blade. Have you-all (all y'all) seen any size excavator with a tilt blade- or is this less of a necessity than I think?   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Scott

Kobelco has their ED180 bladerunner excavators that have six way blades on them. These are fairly large machines and are only a couple years old. They are in the 18 Tonne class and are about 100 hp as far as i know. They are quite expensive. The machine below is listed at 239,000 Candian dollars. For that price you could buy a used dozer and a excavator and have plenty left over.

Scott

Anyone have any expirience with outside mounted hydraulic angle blades like this one?

dan-l-b

Norm F.  I'm in the excavating business and use my TB145 for logging as well.  It is a 10,000# class machine with a fifteen foot reach. These machines (any make) are as handy as a pocket once you get the feel. I have owned Kubota, rented Bobcat and now own my second Takeuchi.  I have a 12" thumb and can pick 2500#s.  I have done some modifying on this machine to make logging safe, fast, effecient and fun.  My next goal is to add a rotatory grapple.  That will require an additional valve out on the dipper stick, (besides the third valve already there) but I'm working on it.  Used machines can be found for $10,000, new machines are about $50,000 in that class.  For all purpose utilization a compact excavator is the ticket.

Norm

Thanks for the info dan-l-b, sounds exactly what I'm looking for, I have not heard of the brand you are using but will do a little investigating at work today (I own the company so the boss doesn't care), sounds like you have done some nice mods to your machine, if you get a chance I would like to hear more about them. A friend of mine runs a link-belt do you have an opinion of their equipment? Thanks for your help.

Bro. Noble

How big of an excavator would it take to handle a feller-buncher head?  How hard is it to change heads?

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

dan-l-b

Norm_F, have seen the link-belt at trade shows, I was impressed.  Some of it is about having a dealer to support you (as you probably know).  Takeuchi has a strong dealer network but also offers strong factory support.  I get organized enough I would like to start a thread about compact equipment logging.  Another plus of a compact excavator--- Low ground pressure, less forest floor damage and the ability to limit damage even in wet times if you run out of logs.   ;D ;D

Norm

Thanks for the info dan-l-b, I got a chance to look at Takeuchi's web site, they make a very nice machine. Yes I couldn't agree more about a good dealer, I sent out for more info from them. What we have spent on hiring out in the last ten years would have made a nice down payment on an excavator.

dan-l-b

Wow, keep me informed Norm.  Sounds like this is something that is going to happen ;D ;D ;D

JimMartin9999

Well, I have a related problem.  We put in some roads in a  heavy viburnum/ sapling woods and want to maintain it with the minimum effort.  We want to be able to drive tractors , pickups, and maybe ATV´s without getting the tires punctured.  And we expect a certain amount of foot traffic.
We have already brush cut and chainsawed  roads and have stump ground most of the spikes left from the viburnum.
What is the easiest way of keeping the vegitation from growing back in without using herbicides?
Jim

beenthere

Jim Martin9999
Once-a-year brush hogging the road will keep you in good shape until the side brush grows and the limbs drop into the road. Then you need to decide if an offset brush hog machine is the answer or if walking a hand-held brush tool is the better way to go. Any stubs will likely soon rot and disappear. Building in drainage so the water will not erode the roads, and planting a cover to maintain the soil will provide wildlife cover as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JimMartin9999

What is an offset brush hog machine?
Jim

beenthere

Offset brush hog machine to me is one that will run off to the side, and not trail behind the tractor or ATV.  There are pull types that have their own engine power that can be run to the side, or there are PTO types that are used for road maintenance that are side mounted.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!