iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How & were do you find timber that is for sale?

Started by Rod, September 06, 2003, 02:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod

I was wondering how does someone get into buying timber?

Tom

Whatever you do, don't make up some signs that say "We Buy Timber" and nail them to folk's trees on the side of the road. :D :D

The state of Florida has a Timberbuyers and land prep list.  The County Forester has access to it and may be the one who updates it.  See your county forester to see if your state has the same thing.  

Just calling the consulting Foresters in your area and showing interest may get you put on their bid lists.

A visit to your City Hall to find the contractors that are clearing land will give you some local individuals to contact.  That's assuming that they must permit land clearing in your county.

Now the Foresters will have a "real" answer.

jrdwyer

To see listings of timber for sale try www.timbersource.com. It is where I list my sales on the internet.

As far as buying timber, the rules vary by state. In Indiana, for example, timber buyers have to be licensed and bonded to legally buy timber from landowners. In Kentucky, no license or bond is required, but a Master Logger certification is required by at least one individual on the logging site. In Illinois, the state has a 4% timber harvest tax that is paid by either the logger or timber buyer to the state government.

So the rules do vary by state. Check with your state's forestry division for your area.

Ron Scott

Get your name placed on the bidders lists for available timber sales from the local USDA-Forest Service Offices, State DNR Offices, with local professional Consulting Foresters; watch the legal notices in the local newspapers, internet listings, as previously stated etc.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!