iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much will a log house settle?

Started by Possum Creek, August 23, 2013, 11:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possum Creek

Hello to everyone, I have a cedar log house with 6" D shaped logs, stacked 17 high, held together with 8" log screws. The roof is just a simple gable metal roof with 2"X6" trusses.  It made a pretty good house for us so far but someday I would like to add on each end. I was just wondering how much  settlement I could expect if I used 2"X4" framing for the additions. I understand logs will settle gradually over many years but I am sure they have to stop sometime. Any advise on how to successfully join these types of building together would be appreciated.     PC 

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

How much settlement have you had in your logs so far?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Possum Creek

The house is 4 years old and I can't see any noticeable changes.

Furu

Some of the D shaped logs are kiln dried and thus have little to no shrinking. 
Who was the supplier of the original logs? From that you can determine if they were kiln dried. 
If after 4 years there is no significant settling then likely they were kiln dried.

Axe Handle Hound

From what I've seen the settling factor is less on "D" log homes than on full round logs. I think my grandfather allowed 6" between his headers and the doors/windows back in 1986 on his D log lome and there's still a good 4" space in some of those locations.   

pineywoods

I built a cabin out of fresh sawn (not dried in any way) pine logs. Never thought about shrinkage. After things dried I had to remove the door and window headers and cut off about an inch...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

jander3

Fresh cut round logs put right on the building settle about 3/4" per foot of wall height.  In this case you need keyways to account for shrinkage.  Almost all settling is done after about 3 years.   

Mark the wall and measure it.  Check it in a couple of months. That will tell you if have any settling going on.

Possum Creek

These logs were very dry when I got them and by the time I get around to building settlement will probably not be an  issue. Thanks for your comments.                      PC

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Those bolts sound kind of short to me. I put up 8" D logs with 14" long bolts on our cabin.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!