iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut timber frame?

Started by GearDrive, September 18, 2013, 10:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GearDrive

Hello,

New to the forum, and have many questions.

I just paid off my 40 acres of land and would like to build a house. I have been looking at log and timber frame designs. On the land, there are a few Black Walnut trees that are straight and tall, enough to build a small timber frame house. One option I'm considering is to buy a sawmill and saw the trees. I have an Amish neighbor, that has timberframing experience, that can help me.

Would Walnut be good for a timber frame?  I have done alot of web searching and can't seem to find anything on a walnut frame. So I joined FF to ask the experts.

Thanks,

Neil

Jim_Rogers

Welcome to the Forestry forum.

I'll do a little research on that and get back to you.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jueston

I've never heard of a walnut timber frame, but if you figure out the strength of the wood, and design with that in mind, I don't see a reason you can't do it.

however if they are tall and straight, you might be better off milling them into lumber for flooring, trim, and cabinets.

or you might even be able to mill them and sell the lumber for enough money for pine timbers and some money left over...

but soon someone who knows much more about timber framing will be here with some wise advice on the topic....  :)

after writing that I did a little research.

here is a picture of some trusses made from black walnut
http://jeffjohnsontimberframes.com/new/timber-frame-construction/timber-frame-trusses/

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

How large are the walnut trees (in diameter) ?

Sure you can build with walnut as far as the wood goes. Size and quality requirements as a timber and for the trees will need to match. And if you really want to cut down your walnut for this purpose would be a decision you would have to make.

But sounds like you have some interesting goals in mind and hope we get to sit in on your progress.
We like pics too...   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

grweldon

Again, as the others have said, it CAN be done.  My first instinct when you mentioned the idea of timber framing with walnut was that of Jueston.  I would think that you could mill the trees into lumber and sell it for quite a bit more than what timbers in Southern Yellow Pine or White Pine would cost you.

It would seem a shame if you used black walnut not to plane them and finish them like the pictures of the trusses that Jueston pointed you too.  In my opinion, it's just too beautiful of a wood to leave rough sawn.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

GearDrive

I thought about selling the walnut and buying a log kit, but I like to be different. Walnut is my favorite wood, I think its beautiful. Plus being able to build a house from trees that are on the property has some appeal to me. Yes, I would like to finish it like the trusses.

bigshow

maybe use it for kneebraces.  put some cool contrast in there.  that much monolithic walnut might be wasted in one mostly uniform colored frame.  Kneebraces or splines would set off a pine, dougfir, or SYP frame.

I never try anything, I just do it.

mesquite buckeye

If you leave the walnut exposed, with a fine finish, you would end up with a one of a kind house, for sure.  ;D  Any frames not exposed, I also would consider using something cheaper for those areas.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

piller

In Jack Sobon's first timber frame book he says this about walnut:
"This is a beautiful, dark brown wood.  Of medium weight and shrinkage, and resistant to decay, it is probably our most sought-after native wood.  The cost, then, of this timber is prohibitive unless you own a stand of it.  A timber frame of walnut would indeed be unique."

Jim_Rogers

I have completed my research and yes, you can make a timber frame out of black walnut.

And it is extremely rot resistant, stable, strong, but of course very dark in color.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

thecfarm

There you have it!!! I would do it. Maybe put some of your other wood in for contrast? If you buy a WM,enter it in one of thier contests.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GearDrive

Thanks guys,

I will move forward on the planning process.

witterbound

We used walnut for some of our braces.  Good looking stuff, but I'd think it would be hard to get the size of timbers you need.

isawlogs

Quote from: witterbound on September 19, 2013, 05:47:47 PM
We used walnut for some of our braces.  Good looking stuff, but I'd think it would be hard to get the size of timbers you need.

How can you say this with out knowing the size of trees he has or can get  ??? 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

witterbound

I am no tree expert.  It just seems to me that in my neck of the woods we just don't see tall straight walnut trees like pines or even oaks -- which are more often used for frames around here. 

beenthere

QuoteIt just seems to me that in my neck of the woods

Where is "my neck of the woods" ??

Nothing in your bio. Nice if you would update it.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

witterbound

Troy Schon

I've seen a 30x40 barn frame all out of walmut. mostly 6x6 up to 16'. It's now a tasting room for whiskey run creek winery in Brownville, NE

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

VictorH

I did not realize that Troy - I'll have to pop over to Brownville and check that out.
Victor

D L Bahler

If you leave some sapwood intact, you could have a spectacular frame. The sapwood is and will remain a creamy white, but is susceptible to insect attacks. The contrast of dark and light in the timbers could be used to create a wonderful effect.

I imagine your walnuts are similar as our in Central Indiana, they can get very tall and wide here. We see 2 footers, not that unusual.

Also the value of this frame, if done well, would be incredible. It is, in my opinion, a better way to invest your walnut than to mill and sell it into the current repressed market.

GearDrive

Just milled my first walnut timber!

Texas Ranger

Back in the '60's I had a college room mate that came from south central Missouri, they had an old barn on their place timber framed and floored in walnut, built in the 1800's.  They sold the wood from the barn, paid for his college, bought him a house, etc.  Sold the timbers to the Warsaw Gun Stock Company. 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DPatton

Quote from: VictorH on September 21, 2013, 07:00:23 PM
I did not realize that Troy - I'll have to pop over to Brownville and check that out.
Victor
Ditto Victor, I had no idea either. Might have to make a side trip to see this. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Weekend_Sawyer

That timber looks great!!!
Thanks for bringing back your post, I'll be following with interest.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!