iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old 50:1 mix in truck

Started by Thehardway, November 06, 2013, 10:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

I have ran mixtures in my gas pickups for many years now. I used to run a gas/ diesel mix in my 90 model chevy 6cyl. I would get it from the mechanic in town for free... if the mix was more gas I would just run it in my truck, if the mix was more diesel I would add 5 gals. at a time to the truck tank. never had any problems at all. the mechanic thought I was crazy.
I was cheep, some weeks I got 50 gals of fuel mixture. I sold that truck at 350,000 miles, the guy put a new engine in it and brought the old engine to me.
now I have a 81 gmc  1 ton to burn all the trash thru.

7sleeper

Quote from: Thehardway on November 25, 2013, 09:46:37 AM
Well, my old ranger p'up is rolling over 300k this week with the original fuel pump so if it craps out, I won't feel too terrible.  Gas gauge quit working about 2 years ago.  I beleive the easiest way to replace both is to pull the bed rather than trying to drop the tank.  When the fuel pump goes I'll replace both.

I think my biggest concern about the pre-mix would be the chance it might plug up the catalytic convertor?

I've been reading some articles about how newer oils have lower zinc content (ZDDP additive) as it was causing some issues with 02 sensors and cat convertors so they have reformulated.

As such the lack of ZDDP is leading to cam/lifter failures in some of the older engines that used flat tappet solid lifters as opposed to hyd./roller.

Not sure if the put ZDDP in pre-mix oil or not.  I think all of my o2 sensors are screwed up anyways.  Has idled rough for 5 yrs or more.
Careful!!! Your mixing up engine oil and 2 stroke mix oil. No zinc in 2 stroke.

Andyshine77

Quote from: 7sleeper on November 25, 2013, 01:46:07 PM
Quote from: Thehardway on November 25, 2013, 09:46:37 AM
Well, my old ranger p'up is rolling over 300k this week with the original fuel pump so if it craps out, I won't feel too terrible.  Gas gauge quit working about 2 years ago.  I beleive the easiest way to replace both is to pull the bed rather than trying to drop the tank.  When the fuel pump goes I'll replace both.

I think my biggest concern about the pre-mix would be the chance it might plug up the catalytic convertor?

I've been reading some articles about how newer oils have lower zinc content (ZDDP additive) as it was causing some issues with 02 sensors and cat convertors so they have reformulated.

As such the lack of ZDDP is leading to cam/lifter failures in some of the older engines that used flat tappet solid lifters as opposed to hyd./roller.

Not sure if the put ZDDP in pre-mix oil or not.  I think all of my o2 sensors are screwed up anyways.  Has idled rough for 5 yrs or more.
Careful!!! Your mixing up engine oil and 2 stroke mix oil. No zinc in 2 stroke.

Correct! that would leave ash, and lots of it. 2T oils rely more on polymer additives and ester base stocks.
Andre.

bandmiller2

My 2 cyl. Deeres think saw mix is ice cream and love it.When ever I buy small engine gas I mix a little 2 cyc. oil,blue stabul,and a shot of seafoam in the can before filling.All small aircooled engines benefit from the lube in the fuel as they tend to run dry in the head. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!