iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eating bark

Started by finnthered, September 24, 2017, 10:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnthered

Is there any tree that grows edible bark? Tried peach tree, wasn't any good.

LeeB

Pray tell, why do you want to eat tree bark?  ???
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

low_48

I wouldn't suggest that you go around sampling without doing some more research. Horse people are the most concerned, so do your research in that direction. Willow bark is supposed to duplicate the effects of aspirin.

Cherry relatives include apricot, plum, peach, chokecherry and other cherry types. Like apples, these trees produce chemicals that metabolize into cyanide. With cherries, the chemical occurs throughout the plant and is most concentrated in wilted or fallen leaves.

For small children and most pets, a stomachache results from eating a leaf or two. But if a large volume of leaves is consumed in relation to a small body, cyanide poisoning can occur. Symptoms include darkened gums and urine, breathing difficulties, weak pulse and seizures.

Kbeitz

Chewed on Sassafras and birch already...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Runningalucas

From what I've read inner bark was a 'settler' staple.  It's been a long time, but found through an internet search a site that listed out good, and not so good inner bark.  I think White Pine was one that had inner bark used for making flour.   I know a lot of folks actually ingest pine pollen to boost testosterone. 
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Don P

i don't know, the running nose and weepy eyes kind of ruin the effect  :D

coxy

black birch bark from small saplings is good but better in the spring time much sweeter  ;D

petefrom bearswamp

I seem to remember a reference to a tribe of Indians called bark eaters.
Must have been lousy hunters.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

TKehl

Inner bark of Slippery Elm is edible.  Can make an oatmeal type thing from it. 

Not something I would grow just for that.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Roxie

Welcome to the forum Finnthered and Runningalucas.   :)
Say when

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

I have a placard saying "Vegetarian - Old Indian word for poor hunter."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

finnthered

Alright, thanks guys, bit of an odd question I know but one that's been bugging me.

Ox

I remembered reading about the "tree eaters" indian tribe in NY state somewhere.  Apparently all the trees around them were stripped bare as far up as they could go.  It's the inner bark that's edible in many, if not most, trees.

I tried this this past spring with some fresh red pine that the bark slipped off easily.  I peeled off the inner layer and popped some in my mouth and chewed on it a bit.  It was slightly sweet, believe it or not.  I even had the kids and wife try a little and they agreed.  I guess you can fry it in a pan for a crispy chip-like texture.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

LeeB

I think some oriental cultures are bark eaters. Not sure if the eat meow or not.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Gearbox

In the northwest Cascara is used for laxative . Beaver eat Aspen not that I would .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

BradMarks

LeeB:   Talk about the cat's meow!

SwampDonkey

Well, I'm wondering if bark is confused with fungal growths on the trunk, like chaga. They harvest it here for tea, off birch trees that are in serious decline. I think I would rather make pemmican: smoked meat, with dried berries and lard. Much more sustaining. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ppine

Natives in the West used ponderosa pine cambium in the winter as a staple food.  It is possible to visit some old growth ppines that show the marks of repeated bark gathering.  Horses were often fed cottonwood bark in the winter.
Forester

SwampDonkey

I've seen horses here strip the bark off aspen trees during the winter. These were 12-16" diameter trees in the yard.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!