iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

American Chestnut

Started by celliott, September 16, 2009, 10:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celliott

While in my intro to forestry class recently, my teacher was talking about how a few native, natural american chestnut trees had been found in my home state of Vermont.  She could not remember w.hat towns or when this news came out.  I was looking for information, but could not find any.  She was saying how these very few trees were being religously protected.  Just wondering if anyone else had heard anything about this, or has any news.
Thanks.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

DR_Buck

Hit the search button at the top of the page and enter American chestnut.  There are lots of post about them.  It's not uncommom to come across them.  They just don't survive long or in large numbers.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

CJennings

I've seen them here, usually while off the trails. Most of them are small, clusters growing out of old stumps. There's a handful of big ones but not many. I've only heard about and seen pictures of the big ones though so I couldn't tell you how many big ones are still here. I've only seen the smaller ones in person. I know nuts have been collected here from some of them for the work in trying to create a resistant variety. I like the taste of the American chestnuts better than the bigger Chinese ones, I hope they make a real comeback in my lifetime...

chainspinrunner

Yeah I am at PSC also right now 3rd year. I did a research paper on The American Chestnut and it's regrowth/new strands that are resistant to the blight. One of my best resources was the American Chestnut Foundation. Look 'em up!

G. Rose
Grose

celliott

Quote from: DR_Buck on September 16, 2009, 10:17:16 PM
Hit the search button at the top of the page and enter American chestnut.  There are lots of post about them.  It's not uncommom to come across them.  They just don't survive long or in large numbers.
Hey, thanks, maybe next time I will look around before i post something up ::) ::)
Should of been thinking :D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

beenthere

Quote from: celliott on September 17, 2009, 01:12:09 PM
Hey, thanks, maybe next time I will look around before i post something up ::) ::)
Should of been thinking :D

Don't hesitate posting a question, regardless. It helps all the FF readers to get a reminder that there are things lurking in the archives.  ;D

If you don't post, and just search, only you will be helped.

Hope you found what you were looking for, and hope you let us know what you are going to pass on to the teach.  :) :)   She'll be helped too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

There are quite a few naturally resistant chestnuts in a lot of states.  The American Chestnut Foundation always has an eye out for them, and they use them as pollinators.

A number of years ago, the ACF was on a local talk show.  Someone called in and said they had a big one in their backyard.  Turned out to be an old American chestnut. 

So, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for there to be some older ones in Vermont. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

toploader Ford

Quote from: chainspinrunner on September 17, 2009, 10:59:08 AM
Yeah I am at PSC also right now 3rd year. I did a research paper on The American Chestnut and it's regrowth/new strands that are resistant to the blight. One of my best resources was the American Chestnut Foundation. Look 'em up!

G. Rose

Hello PSC student, I went to Paul Smith's class of 70. Dormed at White Pine Camp.
Still a few Chestnut trees here in the mountains of Northern Va. but don't get much bigger than a few inches in diameter before dying. I've resawn a lot, saws good.

chainspinrunner

Howdy smitty!,

Sorry to inform that White Pine camp is no longer a dorm! It is now a private camp I believe. I hope that someday we can see more Chestnuts in our forests. Maybe someday that will happen and we will have a new market again with a great tree! Are most of the Chestnuts near you stump sprouts or are they naturally regenerating. This is one thing that I would like to study and work on is Chestnuts and growing them successfully. It will be a tough task but anything is possible!

What was your major here and how are you doing in the forestry/ natural resource world today? I would love to hear your story.

I just finished my Associates as a Forest Technician and am starting on two more years for Indusrtial Forest Operations . I worked as a logger for a very reputable company in Western New York for about 3 years Pre-college and have been during the summers. I hope these next two years go smooth and I can make a good living in the forestry world doing what I love!
Grose

toploader Ford

Those Chestnuts come up from sprouts.
   I don't want to give my life's history here but I was hired by Osmose Wood Preserving Co. right out of college.  Nine years later I started my own forestry services business doing TSI work.  I love silviculture!  Got into timber cutting and logging but couldn't make a go of that. Now most of my business is custom sawmilling. Best part of that is, I have to walk all of 200 feet to work every day ;)

rickywashere

came across this. this is the type of mill  my gran pappy use to talk about working on when he was a young pup, found it on a search for chestnut trees seen lots of hollow stumps but never a tree till now  //// i miss our talks of his time with wm ritter lumber co

and a few other small mills

http://chestnut.cas.psu.edu/pictures/Miscellaneous/PA_blight_com/stave_mill.htm

Thank You Sponsors!