iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Proper Sawyer's Breakfast?

Started by terrifictimbersllc, June 07, 2013, 05:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

Cfarm, I know you like to travel to PA Amish country, so the next time you are in the area, order scrapple for breakfast or you could stop by my place and we'll send you home with a brick. 
Say when

BBTom

If they took the corn that made the grits and make some mush with it, then fry it in a pan w/a dab of butter.  They would make me happy.  Maybe just let the grits solidify and fry them. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

thecfarm

I guess I missed that when I was there. But the brick part does not sound too good.  ???  I'm a real fussy type of guy when it comes to eating. And than some.

I thought Magicman posted pictures of fried grits?   ::)   I'd almost rather see the toes picture.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: thecfarm on June 13, 2013, 08:27:39 AM
Quote from: Delawhere Jack on June 12, 2013, 05:52:57 PM
It aint breakfast without a couple thick pieces of scrapple, grilled nice and crisp on the outside.... with ketchup.  digin1

Scrapple??????   What is that?? Some sort of meat??

Meat pudding. (The stuff that didn't become ham, pork or bacon).

bill m

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

Thanks Magicman!  What those instructions don't tell you is that you must put the slices in a frying pan on medium heat and cook for ten minutes on the first side before you flip it.  Then cook it another 10 minutes.  If you don't fry it properly, the whole thing falls apart. 

Say when

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Roxie on June 13, 2013, 11:41:35 AM
Thanks Magicman!  What those instructions don't tell you is that you must put the slices in a frying pan on medium heat and cook for ten minutes on the first side before you flip it.  Then cook it another 10 minutes.  If you don't fry it properly, the whole thing falls apart.

My dad was stationed down South before WWII. Somebody sent him a care package with scrapple. He took it to the mess hall and gave it to the cook and asked him to cook it. The cook put it in a pot, poured milk over it and mashed it up...... steve_smiley

bandmiller2

I like yellow grit bread with butter and maple syrup for breakfast. Looks like schrapnel is a Pensy version of hagus without the wrapper,tried it years ago a little too rich for me. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

From Wikepedia:

Scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other trimmings, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others are added.[2][3] The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.[4]

I did not realize it, but some scrapple has grits in it  :D.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bill m

WDH - T.M.I. Not that I was going to eat any scrapple anyway.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

beenthere

QuoteI did not realize it, but some scrapple has grits in it

Why not, it has everything else in there, so what can a little grits hurt. ??   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mudhog

SCRAPPLE, aka Sussex county steak--- breakfast of champions---everything but the squeal.
Doing the right thing might not be easy,but it's always right.

Ask, Seek, Knock

schakey

Once going from Carlisle,Pa to Buffalo,NY stopped at a small restaurant on Pa 11/15 and they had a special on a scrapple breakfast.
Ask what is scrapple and was told if I didn't have a taste for it not to try it so I didn't  ;D.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

thecfarm

Scrapple,kinda sounds like mincemeat,everything but the kitchen sink, And no grits either.  ::)  My Grandmother use to make mincemeat. A lot would rave about it. She would give them the recipe and they would make it. Than they would say it did not taste like hers. She used a few ingredients that had to be special brought. Most people would not have it on hand. She would ask them about the certain ingredients and they would say,Oh I did not have that and that ,so I just put something else in.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Delawhere Jack

Mudhog, welcome to the forum. It's good to have another forum member from the first state.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on June 07, 2013, 05:51:08 PM
Here is the suggested proper breakfast.  Clockwise from 3:00, we have grits with butter, cheesy grits with butter, 2 sausage patties, 2 biscuits, 2 strips of bacon over scrambled eggs, and (not shown) sweet tea and coffee.  Optional was gravy over the biscuits and everything else.  Your input is appreciated.

Not suggesting anyone has hijacked the thread, quite the opposite.  But we have gone from a proper breakfast, to something quite else altogether, with this talk about scrapple.   ::)  And to think sausage has a bad name.  Hog offal?  ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dave Shepard

Well, nobody else is saying it so I will. Oatmeal. There, it's been said. :D With maple syrup and brown sugar. Add eggs, toast and orange juice. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    mudhog.  Now how about an intro and telling us about your sawing/timber/woodworking interest.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redprospector

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 14, 2013, 07:52:20 PM
Well, nobody else is saying it so I will. Oatmeal. There, it's been said. :D With maple syrup and brown sugar. Add eggs, toast and orange juice. 8)

Ok, I'll go for that...if you'll add a nice ham steak, maybe a couple of hot sausage patty's, some gravy to cover up everything but the oatmeal and orange juice, and oh yeah coffee.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

sawguy21

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 13, 2013, 08:33:45 PM
Looks like schrapnel is a Pensy version of hagus without the wrapper,tried it years ago a little too rich for me. Frank C.
Now that is funny :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Piston

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 14, 2013, 07:52:20 PM

mmmmmmmmm. 
.....and maybe a little freshly sliced slab bacon to go along with it. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

5quarter

scrapple is tasty, but not quite as tasty as its close cousin...Head Cheese.  musteat_1
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!