iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Elk 2018/2019

Started by Magicman, June 05, 2018, 10:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK, so I said that last year would be my last Elk hunt and that I would never hunt Elk again.  My plan at the time was to accompany Marty on his hunt this year.  Well, he did not draw which leaves us with two options.  (1) Not going, or (2) Buying a 2nd season Over the Counter (OTC) Elk tag.  We enjoy our time together so much that option 1 just does not seem to compute.

Remembering back to 1993, when he was 25 years old and I was 50 we experienced a miserably cold snowed out hunt.  At that time we promised to hunt together again when he was 50 and I was 75.  We never realized then that we would make this many hunts together during these past 25 years.  So now it is 25 years later and with option 2 above being our only option, we are going to take it.

We have 4½ months to zero in on an OTC hunting unit and to get ready.  fudd-smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

Working together and the time hunting together is precious, go for it. We need to do this now when we can. One never knows what is ahead of us. fudd-smiley
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

WV Sawmiller

I guess that means getting the bike out and pedaling all over N. Mississippi again for the next few months. Good luck and I hope you two have a great time (and maybe even shoot an elk or two). ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I will have the only license, but killing a bull is not the object of the trip.  Spending a couple of weeks together will be our reward.  thumbs-up

Yup, dusting off the bicycle and airing the tires up.  bike_rider   Move over 'cause I am coming through.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Best of luck to you both but I agree the time spent together is priceless.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Autocar

The old saying we use around here is Old Loggers Never Retire They Just Die that goes for elk hunters also. Have a great time and plan for next year !
Bill

moosehunter

One year , hopefully many years from now you'll have to say I can't do it. So in the meantime go. Have a great hunt. 
Someday I would like to take my wife elk hunting. 

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Dave Shepard

There's a group of guys here that go to CO every year elk hunting. For at least a couple of them, actually shooting an elk would really spoil the trip. :D 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Marty and I have been steadily getting our legs ready.  On the cooler days I can ride the bicycle for 14 miles but hot ones like today I only made 8 miles.  I waited until it cooled off a bit but then dark caught me.

I just finished reading about last years Elk Hunt and that is reason enough to go back: Colorado Elk 2017

We only have ~one month before we leave.  

Magicman

I got the Magic Bucks food plots laid by yesterday so today it was time to get the the rifles out and squeeze off a few shots.  I felt like the 30-06 would be OK and it was.  My Elk cartridge is factory Nosler 165gr Accubond but I have found that Federal 165gr Fusion rounds print almost exactly the same.  I shot two Federals at 100 yards hitting 3½" high at 12:00, so I sent one down to my 250 yard target, (which is the furtherest that I can shoot on my property).  I checked it and it looked good so I then shot a Nosler at the 250 yard target.

Both of the holes are ~2½" above the center of my target (which are obsolete stickers) with the Federal on the left and the Nosler on the right.  With 4 shots going exactly where I wanted/expected them to go I called the '06 good to go.

The backup .280 was a slightly different story because I had to send it back to Browning to repair damage done by a blown primer.  After reinstalling the scope, I bore sighted and the first shot was on the paper.  Four shots later it was printing 3" high at 100 yards and 2" high at 250 yards shooting Federal 150gr Nosler Partitions.

The tricky thing is that at about 175 yards both rifles will be ~4" high so I will have to be sure of my range.  Marty and I both will have range finders, but in the "heat of the moment" I have to remember.  I didn't last year and my second shot went over the bull's back but thankfully my first shot had done him in.  Zeroing high is necessary but I gotta remember.  ::)

barbender

Those yardages get long quick out West, don't they, Magic? 
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Oh yes, especially when the furtherest that I can see on my property is less than 300 yards.  :o

The .280 will get re-zeroed and dropped down a bit before our deer season. 

Magicman

My season opens exactly two weeks from today.  I brought the ice chests home from the Cabin yesterday.  They contain/store all of the camping gear each year.  Next is unloading all of the sawmilling gear/tools from the truck and ready if for the truck camper.  The ATV and all of the gear goes into the enclosed trailer.

I have plenty of time but no time to waste.

goose63

Good luck on the hunt my friend  fudd-smiley fudd-smiley fudd-smiley
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

A few more steps have been taken. 

All of the sawmilling tools,  etc. have been removed from the truck.

And the camping gear is ready to be loaded into the cargo trailer which sounds like tomorrow's job.  Yes, those are snowshoes.  :o  The only time that we have ever needed them....we didn't have any.

Dan_Shade

Did you pack your nail clippers? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WV Sawmiller

Dan,

That falls under the category "TMI"  :D

Lynn,

Good luck to you and Marty. Be careful and have a great time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bags

Never can tell about the snowshoes--- its been snow'in up here in the rockies since last night and still come'in--- snow line is down to 9500'.

DelawhereJoe

Snow line down to 9500'....thats 9100' feet above Delaware's highest point, can't wait for the snow to start here.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

barbender

Magic, you must get some odd looks when folks see your snowshoes hanging up in the garage!😂

Magicman

Those military surplus ones get stored but my second pair are wood/rawhide bearpaws that also serve as decoration at the Cabin.  Both sets will be with us in case we need them. 

Storing most of our gear such as day packs, gaiters, etc. in those ice chest makes organizing and packing a much easier job.

Magicman

Quote from: Dan_Shade on October 09, 2018, 08:27:14 PM
Did you pack your nail clippers?
I clipped my toe nails this morning so hopefully there will be no toe pictures.  ;)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on October 11, 2018, 09:23:07 AM

I clipped my toe nails this morning so hopefully there will be no toe pictures.  ;)
Oh Lawd.....I hope KNOT.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Getting the meals into vacuum sealed bags and frozen:

Roast Beef, Shrimp Alfredo, BBQ Chicken, Hamburger Steak, Chicken Tenders, Brisket, Smoked Boston Butt, Ham, Eggs, Cereal, plus English Peas, Potatoes, Corn, Cut Beans, Rice, Peaches, Pears, Peanut Butter Cookies, & Pecan Cookies.  That plus the usual trail stuff.

maple flats

Yea, down there snowshoes must look far stranger than the 6 pair hanging in the sugarhouse do up here.
Enjoy your hunt!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

bags

Dang, MM--- that list seems like your head'in out on a major picknick  lol.

Magicman

Man can not live by Grits alone.  :D

Dark is coming much earlier so I was only able to ride 8 miles tonight.

Chuck White

Should have seen the look I got back in Feb 1974 when I was being reassigned from Keesler AFB, MS to Ellsworth AFB, SD!

I walked into the autoparts store and the guy behind the counter asked "can I help you sir", and I said I need two studded snow tires for my 1967 Impala!

His reply was what's a studded tire?

You can figure the rest of the story!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

Did the '67 Impala have the five person trunk, or the six person trunk?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

Don't remember!   I know the trunk was huge and when the driver/passenger door was opened, it was like half of the car swung out!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

maple flats

I'll take a wild guess, that clerk who didn't know what a studded tire was, was not in ND.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Chuck White

Nope, Mississippi.  ;D

goose63

And DanG few know what a sawdust tire is  ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

The "gathering" and packing is still proceeding nicely.  

The camper's freezing compartment is full of the cooked and frozen entrees for our evening meals.  Each vacuumed bag represents a meal for two people plus we will cook and add the starches & veggies.  We ain't gonna starve.   food6

Dave Shepard

MMREs? Magicman Meals Ready to Eat? :D

Magicman

I am glad that I qualified for that extra "M".  We tried the "one less M" once and only once.  We had them to freeze solid and that was before the chemical warmers.  The Gott water cask also froze so we had no water to boil for heating them up.  Not good. :-\

We have also spike camped and used Mountain House, etc freeze dried meals.  There again water is necessary to prepare them but they do very well.  We used a Katadyn Vario water filter plus a SteriPEN and sucked our water out of a seep.  Marty later found that cattle were also using it and there were several "deposits" upstream of our chosen water site but we didn't die nor even get sick.  :-X

GAB

Other than scoring an elk I wish you two an uneventful and safe trip.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

Everything is packed up and we are ready to pull out in the morning.

Now ain't that a pretty sight looking all ready to go.  :)

Now ain't that a pretty sight looking all ready to go.  :)

ronwood

Magicman,

Have a safe trip. My wife and I are heading out Thursday for Jacksonville Fl to visit some of her relatives. On our way back we will be going thru the upper part of Mississippi. Thought about stopping by but it looks like you will not be back by Oct 27th.

Good Luck
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Southside

Keep your powder dry there Magicman!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ellmoe

Safe travels and Good Hunting!
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Jeff

I sent the hat picture to Wildflower. She is in bed already, leaves at 4 am tomorrow and wont be back until after her trip tomorrow evening about 10pm. When she gets a break to look at her phone she will smile I GAR AN TEE

New Orleans Cajun, Justin Wilson - Boys First Hunt - YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

A legend.  Justin cooked at my uncle's deer camp when I was about 10-12 years old.  I would rather stay and listen to him tell stories than to go hunting.

rjwoelk

Lynn you look like the guy from the Red Green Show. Not sure you get it down there but us canadians love it.  Love the hats.  :D :D :D :D :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Magicman

There is a story behind those hats.  ;D

Runningalucas

Good hunting, and safe travels! 

My wife, and I were up at our land in North Idaho, and in an open field off the road, she said, 'look, it's an elk'.  It was big ole' bull; my only response is, 'someone had better let him know to hide....' lol
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Magicman

Thanks guys for the well wishes.....we are on our way!!   move_it

WDH

Watch yore topknot. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Drove 18 hours yesterday, most all through rain.

Did stop at The Big Texan for a Pime Rib.  Leaving Dalhart now.

Magicman

Elk camp is set up.

Runningalucas

Quote from: Magicman on October 17, 2018, 07:36:10 AM
Drove 18 hours yesterday, most all through rain.

Did stop at The Big Texan for a Pime Rib.  Leaving Dalhart now.
Gotta love a good cut of meat with a Jalapeno side 8)
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

petefrom bearswamp

May all the elk be standing broadside at 40 yards and close to the road.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Southside

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on October 18, 2018, 10:24:02 AMclose to the road

When it comes to shot placement I was always told that is the second best place to shoot a moose!!  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

A little trail ride.

We have one more day to look before the season opens Saturday.

DPatton

Keep hydrated you flatlander.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

Got into a bit of snow today.

Southside

Proof that Sasquatch does exist!!!   :D  What elevation are you at?
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

KirkD

A little trivia on Colorado elevation.

At a mean elevation of 6,800 feet above seal level, Colorado has the highest mean altitude of the 50 states. Colorado's low point, 3,315 feet above sea level at the Arikaree River in Yuma County, is the highest low point in the nation and is higher than 18 state high points.

Mount Elbert is the tallest mountain in Colorado, coming in at 14,440 feet

The Mount Evans Scenic Byway (Colorado Highways 103/5) is the highest paved passenger route in North America — including Alaska, Hawaii and California. It ends at 14,130 feet above sea level, or 20 feet higher than the much more famous and popular Pikes Peak Highway — still a gravel road in its upper reaches.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Magicman

We got up to 10,600 today.  Saw nothing, talked with the Wildlife Officer and he said that it was nothing doing everywhere.  We are sitting and glassing now hoping to see something for tomorrow.

If you slip and fall on packed snow it will hurt your butt log.....even worse the second time!!!   

barbender

Even though you're not seeing anything and literally busting your butt, I'm still jealous😊 No trip out west this year for me👎

Magicman

Shrimp Alfredo is on tonight's menu.

WV Sawmiller

Now that's roughing it! :D Glad you are having a good time. Continue to be careful and enjoy the time together with your son.
Howard Green

Magicman

Yes "roughing it" !

samandothers

Who has to do the dishes?  ;D

Good luck and be safe, be sure of your footings! 

Magicman

We put some "heavy" miles in today but no sightings.

Our meal was chicken tenders e/w gravy, sliced potato, & English peas.

And yes we do have to wash dishes.

AlpineCutter

Hey MM, elk season has been strange here too where you were last year. Seems like the elk moved out of the high country way to early and are on the winter grounds already. For you flat landers our wintering range is around 9000 feet to 10,000 feet elevation

Magicman

We saw nothing but our campground neighbor got a very nice 5X5.  The forecast is for precipitation tomorrow.  Probably rain here and snow up high.  

Ty, this bull was low and had just crossed into the NF.  Right place at the right time.  About 1/4 mile from us.

Magicman

These old legs are tired tonight.

Magicman

With possible snow coming in last night and today where we were hunting, I made the decision to move to a different area. 

We are now set up where my late Brother and I made his last hunt in 1983, so there are some memories here.  

Magicman

We have enjoyed seeing some beautiful sights.

Time out for rest.

And a sammich.

The Quaking Aspens where we are now are in full color.  Very few leaves are on the ground.

Magicman

We met FF member "bags" while we were in Westcliffe.  Thank You my Friend for taking the time to show us around your country.  

I wish that we could have spent more time visiting.

WDH

Is that a pasty that you are eating?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Flat bread ham sammich.  We use flat bread because it doesn't squish.

Tonight it was hamburger steak, mashed potatoes & gravy, corn, and sliced canned pears & Pecan cookies.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'd like to go just to eat. :D
Everything always taste better at camp.  food6
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

samandothers

Lynn,
I like your hat in the picture!  Lumberjack plaid

WDH

Magicman

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on October 24, 2018, 09:24:46 PM
I'd like to go just to eat. :D
Everything always taste better at camp.  food6
Looks like that is all that I can report on.

Roast beef, rice & gravy, and green beans.  Of course there are always cookies and peaches or pears.

barbender

Gosh I love it out west. One of these times I'm out there, I'm just going to stay put! Looks like you two are having a good time, as it should be MM!👍

Jeff

I can assure you that going hunting with the Magicman and just eating is well worth the ticket. Anything more is more than gravy, because of course, there's going to be gravy anyhow. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

barbender

The gravy is a given😁

Magicman

All good things must end so according to our plan we made a short hunt this morning and then loaded up for our trip home.  Marty does still have a real job.

Every one of our expectations were met.  No, no Elk but that was never an expectation.  We have spent nearly two weeks together, driving, riding, climbing, laughing, cooking, eating, and sometimes just lost in our own thoughts.  I showed him where my late Brother and I camped in 1983 and enjoyed time together.  Yes and we are making plans for our next trip.  

Thank You Marty for making this trip the success that it was.

bags

Glad you fellas had a good time run'in around the west Lynn--- I think you probably wore Marty out--- ya gotta take care of them young'in's. lol.

rjwoelk

Good to hear you had quality  time together.

Bruno of NH

Im glad you and Marty spent quality time together ☺
It's priceless 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Lko67

thecfarm

I have heard of very few bad hunting trips. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

We got home safely last night.  I still have a few pictures to post and then there is that video.   :o   :D

samandothers

Glad to hear it was a safe round trip!

Texas Ranger

Magic, successful trip may not bring home game, I remember most of the trips I took with my dad and granddad, fishing and hunting,  we may not have killed or caught the big one, but there will never be another time like those, long gone and the land has changed.  We used to hunt up around Silverton, went back 25 years later and it was all condos. 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

A few more pictures:

An early morning picture showing the full color Quakies plus the full moon that is the very opposite of what hunters want to see.  :-\

We were at about 9500' here and the mountain in the background is in New Mexico.

Full color Quakies along the roadside.

I obviously need to take my sawmill instead of a rifle because this trophy needed sawing instead of being shot.  I am leaning against it so it's size is no illusion.

One of several fill ups while traveling.

This bowl of Shrimp Gumbo was waiting for me when I got home but I had eaten half of it before I took a picture.  food6

Disclaimer:  No animals were injured during the making of this video.  The camera stays relatively level but notice how much the 4-Wheeler rocks on the rocks.  (Turn your volume up to max.)

DKCC6899 - YouTube

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

If the G2's on the buck on the left had forked in proportion he would have been near B&C.

Marty's 2019 Elk application has been submitted.  If he draws I will start an Elk 2019 topic to detail our activities.  :)

petefrom bearswamp

Hope it works out for you and Marty, Magicman
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on March 28, 2019, 07:03:54 PMMarty's 2019 Elk application has been submitted. If he draws I will start an Elk 2019 topic to detail our activities.

Marty was unsuccessful with his Elk draw this year (Preference Point only) so it looks like this will be a "stay home" year for us.

He may opt for another Unit 1st season hunt next year and get out of the PP chase as I have done. We probably can alternate years and hunt 1st season each year.

petefrom bearswamp

Hope he is successful next year.
Look forward to Thread Elk 2020
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Ron Scott

Son Todd harvested this elk last Thursday west of Bosman, Montana. 300 yard shot, hunting by himself.

~Ron

Magicman

Congrats to Todd on a very nice 6X6 Bull.  8) Those bez points are very unusual, probably genetics.  

Gotta get this knee fixed because Marty and I most certainly will be in Colorado next October.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!