iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cronic Wasting Disease in White tailed deer

Started by Woodpecker52, December 15, 2018, 05:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodpecker52

Just noticed that chronic wasting disease is now showing up in Tennessee.  It has showed up in Mississippi from the delta to north Ms. and hunters in the effected areas are to get the deer harvested tested to show the extent of the problem also they are to cease all feeding of deer.  It is my understanding that the infected deer slobber infected fluids from mouth and nose and that the prions (#$@% uped proteins) can stay viable in the soil and infect for decades.  They say the meat is ok to eat, but I know of one older person who had symptoms of cwd and died, his wife said he started getting ill after eating elk she said was infected, she would not eat the meat.  I would certainly want to cook the meat well done if I did not know about the deer. It is ironic that one of the ways to stop the spread is to ban feeding deer in the cwd zones which they have done, but the Ms. legislature passed a law to allow feeding and hunting over feeders everywhere else, so I will not be surprised to see the infected zones increase in number.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

goose63

We have it out in western N.D. in unit 3F2 the only you will get sick from it is by eating the brain or spinel cord. The head is sent to Michagin for testing.

All the deer meat i have ate from out there I should of been dead a long time agao
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Jeff

I'm under the opinion that it has always existed and the only reason they are finding it now is because they are looking for it.  They have found 50 some cases in Michigan, and it sure looks like their solution is going to be to try and irradiate the herd. How much sense does it make to kill hundreds of thousands of extra deer for a disease that effects so few. our dnr sucks.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

We've got it in a few of our northern counties and there are special restrictions on hunting and checking the deer up there. As mentioned the brain and spinal cords are the problem areas. I think it becomes an issue when someone in the affected counties wants to take a nice deer head to the taxidermist.

Like Jeff suggested it may have been in our deer herd all along but our larger deer herds in many states help it spread. More predators probably means less CWD but that is not popular with a lot of folks either. Smaller herds mean healthier and bigger deer but also less chance of a hunter to harvest one so it is an unpopular trade off either way.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bags

Gotta agree with Jeff. All the new tech we have now just makes it easier to detect in a critter--- its been here all along. A few years ago the bunny cops found it here in northern Colorado--- two years later they seem to have found it spread the entire length of the front range. Its been here, and its gonna stay here. Kill'in off a major part of game animals wont cure a thing.

If folks see an animal stager'in around like it has some kind of turn'in fever--- I'd bet that's one ya might not wanta eat.

E fan

Arkansas has been dealing with it publicly for a couple three four years now , where they placed the elk in northwestern  Arkansas. There's a guy by the name of Gene Banks that has a feed mill and makes this deer 365 and he's been trying to ask state biolgists about what they think ( no one knows ) what causes this, he's got some interesting theories like a lot of others do but his make scense, check him out he's on FB 

Bandmill Bandit

For what it is worth!

I dont know how much truth or scientific reality there is to this "old time theory" but many of the old timers say mad cow disease and the chronic wasting disease are the same thing and arise from "preons" that exist in the soil world wide. Some say it is marginally different in warmer/colder climates and amongst the various species but it rises out of the same preons and has been here as long as there have been ruminating animals on the planet. In rodents and K9 it presents as rabies and distemper.  I don't know much about the probability of this as a true reason but it does make some sense.    
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!