iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loggers protest in Salem, Oregon 2019

Started by Riwaka, June 12, 2019, 05:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riwaka

Loggers protest in Salem, Oregon 12th June, 2019, the proposal to introduce CARB type rules for Oregon.

Timber families protest climate bills at Oregon Capitol | Timber | capitalpress.com

Timber industry protests climate bills at Oregon Capitol | Timber | capitalpress.com

Does the EPA rules that allowed glider trucks to continue with old engines over-rule the state rules that might ban the old engines?

Have to leave the logs on the landing, if the Forest Owners/ Companies do not wish to up the logging rate to a level that would allow new emissions compliant logging trucks to be purchased.

Southside

Rural Oregon and the I-5 corridor are two different worlds, sadly it's the corridor that runs ramshot over the rest of the state.  Take away ranching, farming, and logging from Oregon and there is not much left for about 85% of the state.  Fools they are.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Skeans1

This state is getting to be a pretty grim future, the valley looks at the rest of it as their nature park. The only thing this state wants is tourism and tech jobs it's getting to be pretty sad to live in such a beautiful part of the country, but it's starting to make a lot of us look at selling out and leaving. Heck one of the mills we deliver to is about an hour or so out of Portland been there forever announced last week they laid of 60% of their work force with no intention of restoring it or any of their other mills plus they are working on selling all their tree farms. One other thing that wasn't talked about in the bills that has been brought up this effects equipment as well kiss all the little guys goodbye unless Aunt Kate hands us all a big check to replace everything like California did to their industry.

Southside

Maine did the same "tourism" thing in the '90s. Call centers were going to be the new "good paying job". Well, those all left a few years later and tourism works for what, three months a year?  They keep complaining the population of the state is aging, I wonder why. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

bushmechanic

Hang tough guy's, the future looks very bright the forestry industry...when they ban all the plastics they will need to switch to something else to package everything in. Oh wait then the tree huggers will chime in and grumble about all the overcutting and not enough trees to clean the air! Never mind I guess we are all going to be on the welfare :o

tule peak timber

Watching........for quite a while. Can't comment as we are trying to figure out what to do...... >:(
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Skeans1

It's too bad this state isn't an electoral system there's 4 or 5 counties in the whole state that control everything.

tule peak timber

A good job this year is real estate broker in Idaho or Montana. Second best job is real estate agent Idaho, Montana. That's a fact...

barbender

I don't want to get this moved to the restricted topics area, so I'm trying to not be political. MN is a lot the same as other states, we have several counties with high populations that lean hard left that control the rest of the state. 
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

Same here in Virginia.  Looking at the last election by county it's a sea of red with dots of blue, but those dots have more population.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

reride82

Quote from: tule peak timber on June 13, 2019, 09:01:07 PM
A good job this year is real estate broker in Idaho or Montana. Second best job is real estate agent Idaho, Montana. That's a fact...
Ugh, I know this dilemma all to well. I live in one of the last areas in SW Montana to be bombarded by the influx of out-of-state money, but if the last year is any indicator then our real estate market is about to explode >:( As an engineer/Surveyor it is good news, but as a woodsman and guy that likes the small town it is less than desirable.
Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Autocar

I am a down to earth kind of guy and our whole problem in our country is most people don't have any common sense. My feelings are big city's yes I agree there's a air issue so most of the  big company's all ready have newer equipment that haul into New York or L.A. So get some common sense my 1987 Autocar with a 300 Cummin's is probably the oldest truck I see every day on the road. In my area it is hard to find a manual trasmission in a class eight truck most young folks can.t shift gears so manual transmission's set on the lot. so I do contribute to the greenhouse gases but my dad years ago remarked the sky's just as blue as it was when he was a young man and he was 90 at the time so here I am at 71 and looks blue to me also. When the E.P.A. got there noses into chainsaw pollution I knew then we were up a creek without a paddle.Like I said at the top of my post Common sense will we ever find it back ? 
Bill

Bruno of NH

States can't live on tourism alone.
Can't do it NH , Vt or Maine
They are all trying to its not going to happen.
We have the biggest and best liquor stores in Nh
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

snowstorm

Quote from: Southside on June 13, 2019, 08:22:03 AM
Maine did the same "tourism" thing in the '90s. Call centers were going to be the new "good paying job". Well, those all left a few years later and tourism works for what, three months a year?  They keep complaining the population of the state is aging, I wonder why.
not all the call centers closed. on process in belfast has 400 working there. the flash in the pan as i called it was mbna. they built huge office buildings. for around here. there big retreat with cabins and all. he spent a lot of money and made a lot of enemies with some of his land grabs. and then they closed everything. mbna the credit card co 

Wudman

In the long run, Rural America holds one trump card.  We feed those urbanites.  When the food truck doesn't roll into the suburban grocery stores every 48 hours, those folks are going to figure out that maybe they should have had a little more respect for those "deplorables". When they reach for something to wipe their butt and there is nothing there......they may get the picture. 

I'm headed out to finish cultivating the tomatoes.  May run to town and grab another case of ammo.  We can hold our corner of the world for a little while and I won't starve in the next six months anyway. 

Wudman 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

thecfarm

I am stocking up on 22 shells. They are cheap.The first one might not kill them,but it will slow them down enough so the next one will.   :D  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tule peak timber

reride 82,,, I have tried multiple times to PM you. Thanks  Rob

reride82

Quote from: tule peak timber on June 19, 2019, 09:07:19 PM
reride 82,,, I have tried multiple times to PM you. Thanks  Rob
Sorry Rob,
I've been away from the computer for a few days. I left you a voicemail this morning.
Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

tule peak timber

gdaddy01

looks like it made national news , if that means anything .

Southside

Yup, Auntie Kate is so desperate to destroy everyone she will intentionally violate the 4th Amendment of the US Constitution. I hope it backfires hard on them and complete cahos ensues in her world. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

DMcCoy

This isn't entirely about carbon, it's about the money.  This is a bill to raise taxes all wrapped up in environmental protection. Ever since the Dem's got complete control on the legislature they have been raising taxes everywhere, and they are not going to stop because....
It's the public employee retirement system, the proverbial 900 lb. elephant in the room.  26.6 BILLION underfunded.  New hires are not getting good enough pay and the benefits are not good.  It's the Tier 1 people who made out like bandits and continue to do so.  Some will admit it but don't really care.  This isn't over by a long shot.  It is setting up a generational divide that I think is dangerous.  Fix PERS - hahaha.  It's becoming talked about on TV news (finally) as schools are trying to balance budgets. No they will raise taxes until it explodes, you should expect more and more bills like this.  Buckle up!

PERS’ unfunded liability grew by .3 billion in 2018. And the situation may be worse than it appears. - oregonlive.com

A lot of people are a couple of pay checks away from financial ruin.  There will be a full on assault on actual wealth to balance budgets.  

nativewolf

So why is the pension system underfunded?  What did the previous 40 years of govt do?  If they are raising tax's to make up for pith poor past financial management I don't see that it is 100% the blame of the current govt, if anything it seems that they are being fiscally responsible.

Our current national budget deficit is out of control, like crazy bad.  Nobody is talking about it but the last few years of growth has come about with a corresponding sickening amount of debt.  

Personally forestry is just so few few machines that I don't get why it is regulated at all.  I mean there are what, a few hundred logging trucks in the state of OR?  Maybe 1000?  That's such a drop in the bucket with serious negative business impacts to so so many people that it seems very shortsighted to a state with large budget deficits.  If the issue is about budget's being blown then the right way to fight this would be to show that this particular rule would, in fact, increase the problem rather than decrease the problem.

Liking Walnut

quilbilly

Oregon has over 1k logging trucks guaranteed. Probably over 5k pieces of machinery in the woods part of the timber industry in Oregon, maybe 10k. Oregon is a big state with tons of timber.
a man is strongest on his knees

Thank You Sponsors!