iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guess what I'm having for supper

Started by Ken, July 28, 2013, 06:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

My wife and I enjoy walking out to a beaver pond behind the house.  For the last year or two it has been obvious that the pond was home to a growing trout population.  Today we took the canoe out and paddled around for a bit while I tossed a spinner and worm.  fishin-smiley Lo and behold there are trout there.  Note the 8" leatherman for reference in the picture.  8) 

Lots of toys for working in the bush

clww

O MY!!! :o
I can taste them from here. digin_2
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Nice. My Father use to go brook fishing. I would meet him before he got in the house and check out his bag. I can still smell that bag and remember what it looked like. I really enjoyed seeing what he caught. And eating them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Corn meal mixed with ranch dressing fried or smoked, don't get much better,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Mooseherder

Trout fishing is one of my favorite things to do.
Can't wait to do it again.  Nice catch Ken. :)

WDH

Those look great.  Remove the skin on the fish and butterfly them by slicing alongside the back bone, but not all the way through so that you can open them like a book.  Take a cast iron skillet with a dash of oil and get it very hot.  Apply a liberal coating of cajun seasoning to both sides.  Place on pan and sear both side quickly.

Yum. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

We just clean them, take the head off and keep the skin on and dredge them in flour and pan fry in a cast iron skillet.
The bone peels out after its cooked. :)

WDH

You can snap the fish's head back at the gills and just pull off the skin down in one motion.  Have you tried that?  And yes, the bones peel right out after cooking leaving perfectly succulent meat if you do not over-cook the trout. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

No, I've never tried that method Danny.
I'll give it a try in a couple weeks. ;)

WDH

Take the head, snap it back toward the backbone, and pull the skin off in one fell swoop. 

Magicman

Actually after you snap the head off, I would describe the skinning as more pushing the fish up through the skin.  I do more pushing up than pulling down.  It is a slick way to clean trout.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Now that looks like a full creel, Ken.

Nice!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandhills

Glad to see you didn't have to go to bed hungry  :).  Nice catch!

Howdy

Took my grandsons to a fish hatchery with a very nicely developed visitor center today. Seeing the rearing ponds filled with trout was amazing.  They had many ponds for adult rainbows and the size of these fish ran up to three feet I'm sure.  They also had some sturgeon up to 11 feet in length. 

A pretty enjoyable visit.  However I sure do wish I had a pan full of fresh caught trout to enjoy.

Thank You Sponsors!