iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Know a source? Shop heater kit.

Started by fencerowphil (Phil L.), October 01, 2006, 05:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I recently saw an example of what I am looking for at  a radiator shop.
They were available mail order back in the seventies.  This one was in use at the shop last winter and had been assembled by a previous owner years before.

The kit was a set of fittings and a door  which made use of two steel barrels to form a very
efficient shop heater.  I think the kit included legs, too.  The lower barrel was the fire box, while the upper barrel served as a large heat exchanger.  They would crank out some extreme heat.

Anybody know of such a kit for sale now?

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Radar67

Phil, check out northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company and Harbor Freight. I know Northern has the kits.  Bottom Barrel Kit The first extra on this page is the top kit.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Thanks, Stew.

That is very similar, just for one barrel, instead of two.

As cheap as these kits are (gotta be made in China), you could just buy two kits and adapt.
;)
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Radar67

Phil, on the page I sent the link for, the bottom barrel kit is listed. The top barrel kit is item #16161. They may be made in China, but they are cast iron.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

logwalker

My neighbor has one behind the house in the weeds. I used one for years. They are a bit more dangerous than a modern stove because the new ones are double walled. But if used with common sense and a bit of caution they work well. LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

LogWalker,
I guess a curtain of hardware cloth might be in order, if you want to be safer.  I notice that they are not for sale to Washington or to California.

Stew,
I looked back and saw the Top Barrel kit.  Thanks.  One of their stores is about
fifty miles from me. May pick one up next weekend.

Phil L.

WH_Conley

Take the top barrell and cut a hole in both ends and insert a piece of pipe and weld it off. Put a fan blowing through the hole, or holes depending on size and number of pipes. Serious heat.
Bill

Burlkraft

Common sense and caution...  ??? ??? ???:D :D :D Logwalker  :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

pappy

We heated our house with one of those units for 20 + - years... We used 4 truck rims for the bottom "barrel" with 3/8" plate steel for the front and back... Used a propane gas hot water tank for the top "barrel" welded a 6" long section of well casing for a pipe between the top and bottom barrels,,, all good steel  8)  Only needed the door and top thimble, the front and back plates where large enough to support the unit, no need for the legs... Didn't need the top barrel kit this way...

Man o man did that sucker ever heat... changed it for a better air tight stove... Will set it up in the new garage when ever that gets built  :D

Quote from: WH_Conley on October 01, 2006, 10:15:47 PM
Take the top barrell and cut a hole in both ends and insert a piece of pipe and weld it off. Put a fan blowing through the hole, or holes depending on size and number of pipes. Serious heat.

Very good idea  smiley_thumbsup you could point it towards the cold corner of the garage... use another piece of well casing...
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Thank You Sponsors!