iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

christmas shopping

Started by Woodhauler, December 15, 2014, 01:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Guess i will make a stab at it this afternoon! Won't take many run ins with people in the big city before i tuck tail and run! :o
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

coxy

im with you on that  i hate shopping  this time of year   but im to cheap to do it sooner  :D

Dave Shepard

Good luck! I don't care for crowded places at all.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thurlow

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Skidder Kev

I'm with you on that Dave I hate crowded places.   I was able to get out this morning a get a few things before it got to busy. 

Nichols

Quote from: thurlow on December 15, 2014, 06:36:36 PM
Amazon............

^X2 At times like this Google is your friend!   :new_year:
If Balein' wire and Duck tape ever quit, my whole place is gonna fall apart!

red oaks lumber

x3 amazon and google with the debit card thats my style of shopping :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

LeeB

I bought Lindy a 2005 1 ton Dodge ram w/ 5.9 Cummins and 89,000 miles on it. (she really did want one to go with the other two we already have) That will be about the extent of my Christmas shopping this year. I really hate the whole gift buying thing anyway. I'm very much a Bah Humbug.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WmFritz

Quote from: LeeB on December 16, 2014, 06:32:34 AM
I bought Lindy a 2005 1 ton Dodge ram w/ 5.9 Cummins and 89,000 miles

Lindy must've been good this year.  :D

I do 90% of my shopping from my recliner.  ;D
I have a couple garage door openers to pick up this week and I'm DONE.

Vicki had one item on her Christmas list; she wants one bay in the garage that she could park her car in this winter.
It would've been easier to fight the shopping crowds then to make room out there for her car, my old car, 4 snowmobiles, two motorcycles, two tablesaw and the rest of my shop tools

Come to think of it, maybe I should've gotten her one of those tent garages, instead of jamming up all my stuff.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

When Pat got home last night I had already installed her a Christmas present.  One of these: Kwikset 

We have one at the Cabin so it was time to upgrade our entrance.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 17, 2014, 09:11:03 AM
When Pat got home last night I had already installed her a Christmas present.  One of these: Kwikset 

Way to go Magic. We got one last year for the door coming in throughout the garage. Best thing we've got in a while. Just punch the numbers in and BAM.....turn the lock. I really like it when all you have to do is push any button at night and the pad lights up so you can see the numbers. PatD will like this and you too.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

goose63

Ba humbug I ain't going to town till the 5th of January ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on December 17, 2014, 09:11:03 AM

Do you have to change the battery often?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Holmes

They have always made a good product.  If you are a drinker I do not recommend this style lock.  Combinations are easily forgotten when the head is in a fog. :o
Think like a farmer.

Magicman

QuoteDo you have to change the battery often?
I do not know yet but reviews that I read seemed to agree on about 6 months.  Of course the key works.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

Shopping ESPECIALLY at Christmas is HER job, I won't go near the stores. She knows better than I what to buy for pre teen grand daughters, they don't seem to appreciate tools.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chuck White

Could be very handy!

Works like the locks on the new gun safes!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

I recon buying the truck for Lindy wasn't such a bad idea. She's gone down to visit the kids and freinds in Texas and will be bringing back my Christmas present. It's a Texas style pit with reverse flow for the smoking chamber. I'm tickled to death with it. Can't wait to get off the rig and break it in.

My Nephew welded this up for me.

Note the personal ID number.  8)

The fire box can be used for grilling for small orders.

A flat surface on top of the fire box for pots and pans. ( Thanks for the idea Quinton)
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

timberlinetree

Christmas shopping, yikes! I'll be going the 24th. Nice barbacueer!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

Wowser LeeB.  That is a honking nice grillin' machine.   :o  Da truck was worth it.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

Busy Beaver Lumber

Here is where I am a very lucky man. We have 5 girls, 4 son in laws, 5 grand kids, my mom, and about two dozen close friends and business associates to shop for.

By far the hardest to buy for are our daughters and Mrs. Beaver takes care of them and the grand kids on line. All I supply is the credit card.

I take care of the Son in Laws by getting them tools on line. We get the friends gifts on line as well or by a simple trip to the local winery. Some of the times we even make their gifts in our shop.

Shopping on line is the way to go.  8)  No crowds. No waiting in lines or searching for parking spots. Just simply go to the front door and bring the items in the house.

Plus, you just cant beat the on line deals. I like to support the local merchants, but not at the expense of paying a lot more for the same items I can buy on line. If a local merchant is willing to meet or beat an online price on a big ticket item, or at least come close, I will buy it locally, but my experience is that the local merchants will seldom meet the prices and keep the sale locally, so might as well not waste the time and just go to the internet to begin with. Case in point, I just bought a 1/2 Makita drill. Stopped a local store and he wanted $199 for it, which is full up list price. He would not budge on price. Went on line and got the exact same drill at CPO, free shipping and on my door step for $134.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

LeeB

We do a lot of online shopping too, simply because we are so far from town and it's a mighty small town when you get there. There just is not the variety we want. We do go local (mom and pop) when we can even though sometimes it does cost a little more. Lindy went down to Austin to see family and freinds and I think she is more exited about being able to go to a real grocery store and Costco than anything else.  :D

pineywoods

A wife taking a truck to go to costco and the mall sounds EXPENSIVE  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sawguy21

Yeah. It is. It also means a lot of bags to carry in when I get home.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

LeeB

Not worried about her. It's me that has to be watched. As I said, we live in a very rural community, so when we do go to the big city we stock up. Costco can't be beat for price and quality on a lot of the dry goods we use and there is no grocery store in Arkansas that comes even close to comparing with HEB in Texas. It will be expensive, but not extravagant.

Buckshot00

Wife does all of ours online.  I hate shopping. ;D

thecfarm

@LeeB,I have heard,well read online,the proper way to season a new grill is to put it into a freezer to cool it off,than do a "burn" in it and let it cool off and than do a grill. Since you can't get that into a walk in freezer you will have to bring it up to the glaciated North,my place, for a proper seasoning. See you soon.   ;D   I think I have some grits for ya too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

My wife generally gets all the Christmas gifts for our friends and relatives purchased throughout the year, so no mad rush these past few weeks. I'll go shopping for her at the second-hand/antique mall near our house here at The Beach tomorrow. With such a variety of old stuff, it's always easy to find her that "just right" gift. :christmas:
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

LeeB

Well, looks like I'll be going to get the pit when I get off and get back home. Lindy just wasn't comfortable hauling it back. When she went to the nephew and asked about building a pit, she told him it would be nice if it had some wheels on it so it could be moved around with the 4 wheeler. She did not imagine that he would be true to the Benitz name and over build it. She imagined about half the pit she got. Oh well. I guess I wanted to take a road trip.

oros35

Quote from: LeeB on December 16, 2014, 06:32:34 AMI really hate the whole gift buying thing anyway. I'm very much a Bah Humbug.
Same here

Did most of my shopping online, cause I had to buy something. 

I hate gifts just to give a gift. 
And I know it's hard to find a gift for me, if I can afford it I buy it.  If I can't afford it I don't expect you to buy it for me cause it probably cost too much. 
For the wife it the same, she want's it, and we can afford it, I buy it.  No need to wait for a certain day of the year.  It's like Christmas year round.

sandhills

Starting time 8am today, finish time 11am today, priceless  ;D.

LeeB

Does priceless mean you didn't buy anything?

sandhills

Nah, I wish, just meant it only took 3 hours and not any crowds to speak of.  I hate shopping.

pineywoods

Finished shopping for the wife today. We have a family tradition that I sneak out with either my daughter or daughter-in-law and go shopping. Goes back to when they both were teenagers. Went with daughter today as we are spending christmas with her family. Next year will be with the daughter-in-law. I hate shopping, the girls make it easy and I honestly look forward to it each christmas.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

rbhunter

I have always hated Christmas shopping. When we first got married I made a deal with my wife. If she would do the shopping I would wrap the gifts. I had the better end of the deal until the last few years. Now she buys online and I am still stuck with the wrapping.

By the way I like Leeb smoker. I want one. I smoked three turkeys today and did not have room for the cheese.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

LeeB

I don' know. I think I actually hate wrapping worse than shopping. I made a compromise with myself. I don't do either.  ::)

sandhills

That's more than a fair deal Lee, or at least I'd say so.    :D

Thank You Sponsors!