iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brand New To Milling

Started by flattail, February 11, 2016, 09:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flattail

??? O.K. guys here go's I ve cut firewood for many years but have never cut one board.I have my mill ordered but won't get it till June.I'm starting with cedar since that's what I have the most of. I'm trying to learn all of the
"lingo"on the forum so if I ask a stupid question I'll pull the redneck card.
This is only starting out as a hobby but I hope it progresses,I don't want to work in a factory forever.
I hope to ask all of you a lot of "dumb questions in the future'

drobertson

Only lingo needed is whats biting and on what color down there,  that is if you fish ;D  hard to believe that you don't coming from that area.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

And there are no "stupid" questions, so have no fear. 

Hope you have been reading some of the posts and threads already in the archives.

Tell us more about your interests and decision to get a mill.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dgdrls

Welcome flattail,
lots to learn and no shortage of great "teachers"
here.

Best
Dan

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, flattail.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

flattail

drobertson,your right I live on the White River,so its either trout on the river or any other fish on the lake.
Thanks guys for the welcome.I do have a couple of ? I've printed the Doyle board foot scale but don't understand large quantites of logs total board feet.
I've read about a mill being hammered,no clue what that means.
Will my wood dry quicker here in the south due to high temps in the summer months?

beenthere

A mill circular saw blade is what is being hammered. But sounds like your mill will be a band mill.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. What kind of mill are you getting?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

flattail

I've invested in a Mister Sawmill,20hp Honda engine. We have a lot of sawmills around here bot most are circular mills that do big business hardwood.
Like I said I work in a factory and as soon as I mentioned I was getting a portable mill,everyone has a couple of logs to be sawn,another reason to know how much do you charge to saw.
The wife is buying the mill for US so she gets first dibs on all that's cut.

Cedarman

For cedar Doyle works for 17" and up.
Most people use cedar scale for ERC
x 8' lengths.
4"   4'
5"   7'
6"   11'
7"   14' some use 15'
8"   19'
9"   24'
10"  30'
11"   36'
12"   43'
13"   50'
14"   58'
15"   67'
16"    76'
Usually measure with tape measure inside bark to inside bark.
This doesn't mean the log will saw this footage, just that is an agreed on footage to be paid for in each size log. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Seavee

Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

Welcome to the Forestry Forum  :)
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum. Flattail
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

flattail

I hear folks talking about ties,is that railroad ties and if so how big and who buys them? I can't wait to get my mill and start cutting.You guys know I'll ask a million questions before the end of June.
Do you mill for someone else by the board foot or agreed upon fee? ???

beenthere

Yes to railroad ties.. search for a buyer in your area and get sizes and grade requirements from those buyers. Some might require a truck load, or so many ties at a time.

Saw by the bdft or by the hour... Then you get paid for what you do.. production or your time.

It will help keep your questions and on topic if the admins put this with your other thread, as long as the subject is along the same line.
south central Wisconsin

samandothers

flattail

Thanks for all the welcomes.I seen the pics of what are you cutting and was wondering how long of boards are most guys cutting?I seen one pic of cedar that looked 20 feet long.Is anyone cutting boards that long?

Cedarman

Longest ERC we have cut were 4x8x 34'.  Have made about 15 of them over the last few years.  10" x 34' straight logs are a little hard to come by.

Magicman

ERC normally has more taper than some species, so sawing long is generally an inefficient use of ERC logs.  The normal length that I saw is ~8'.  In Cedarman's example above, the customer pays.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

i cant saw over 20' with my mills but on the long stuff i saw the taper into 4/4 lumber down to about 6' long and run it through the edger that way you dont lose any lumber in sawing long timbers :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Cedarman

We take an outside slab and then slice lumber.  We cut the slabs and lumber to usable lengths. Nothing is wasted.  Best log was one we got 2 out of.  $800 not bad for a couple of boards and 45 minutes work for 3 people.  We can only cut 22' feet at a time.  We use a pallet jack and pallets on one end to help keep height right and move log back and forth.

never finished

Flattail welcome to the forum. My first suggestion is to find a few band mills to visit and maybe help a little while you learn. You'd be more than welcome here. There's a few on here a lot closer to you. Maybe they will catch this post and give you an invite. And read, read, read on this forum. And ask all the questions you want.     

codyleviere

Quote from: flattail on February 11, 2016, 09:57:32 PM
??? O.K. guys here go's I ve cut firewood for many years but have never cut one board.I have my mill ordered but won't get it till June.I'm starting with cedar since that's what I have the most of. I'm trying to learn all of the
"lingo"on the forum so if I ask a stupid question I'll pull the redneck card.
This is only starting out as a hobby but I hope it progresses,I don't want to work in a factory forever.
I hope to ask all of you a lot of "dumb questions in the future'

Welcome! Don't worry about "stupid questions". I just joined recently too and these guys give nothing but support!! I have experience in the industry but for going on my own, this forum is GREAT!!!

Magicman

The only dumb questions are unasked questions.   :)

jpm717

I am looking at an MSG Industries Model MM250 to purchase. Does anyone have info on this mill. I called MSG and the phones are disconnected

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum
Add your location to your profile and will help with answers.
south central Wisconsin

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, jpm717.  Disconnected phones may not be a good sign if you ever need support.   :-\

flattail

Just wondering does anyone plane their lumber before selling?

flattail

when sawing cedar does anyone shorten the length to cut wider boards.I know cedar can get smaller pretty fast as it goes up. ???

pineywoods

Quote from: flattail on February 27, 2016, 08:51:57 PM
when sawing cedar does anyone shorten the length to cut wider boards.I know cedar can get smaller pretty fast as it goes up. ???
I seldom saw any cedar longer than 8 ft. Got 50+ cedar logs in my yard, some make 1X12...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

never finished

I plane some erc when selling. Mostly V grove 4 or 6 inch.

never finished

I've got some of those too pineywoods. Problem is they will all have some rot in them. Not having much luck lately getting any clear erc of any size.

Cedarman

Some cedar trees have lots of taper, some not so much.  We buy most of our cedar tree length with about a 4" top.  Lots of 30 to 40 foot poles, some as long as 45'.  We can buck to the lengths our orders call for.  Lots of 10 to 16'.  Some 18', Some 20'.  We make container loads from 8' to 18' in 1' increments.  Gotta saw what customer wants and is happy to pay.

flattail

I still don't have my mill yet but what degree bands do you recommend? I will be cutting mostly cedar but some other hardwoods such as hickory and the oaks.

Magicman

10° on the Cedar and 4° on Hickory and White Oak.  I successfully saw Red Oak with 10° blades, but the 4° should be OK.  I have recently gotten some 7° turbo's but my use has been limited to Pine.

My advice is to not burden yourself with a huge variety of blades.  I sawed over 10 years with nothing but 10° blades.  (I have limited opportunities to saw Hickory and White Oak.)

flattail

The wife and I were looking at tractors today and learned they're not cheap.I'm not exactly sure how much h.p. I need or how much a log weighs like I said most will be 8 foot cedar but I will be cutting hardwood that I know weighs more.Any suggestions? I don't want too small and have to upgrade soon but I don't need to lift my house either.Thanks

thecfarm

Many on here do alot with a 30hp tractor. The wife's tractor is a 30hp. I have a 40hp,much better for the tasks I do. It's not really the hp,it's the size/weight of the tractors that matters. But I can get the wife's tractor through the woods easier than my tractor. Hers is smaller,not as wide or as long. With my tractor,I can pick up a 12 foot hemlock log more than a foot and a half across and carry it to the sawmill and not have to worry about tipping the tractor over.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

outpost22

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of new guys here (me included). Everyone seems to learn something new everyday, including the veterans from what I can tell. So, ask these guys-they know the answers.
As to tractors, there are a lot of considerations. What kind of ground are you working. Do you need a track loader? Is a rubber tired rig o.k.?  How large a log are you moving?
Is the mill manual or automated? How will you turn large logs? How much of a tractor can you afford? How large of a tractor is too large? Skid Steer loaders work well and there are a lot of used ones around.
"thecfarm" is right. A larger tractor may be too large to get where you need to get to. I had to compromise with this issue. Any larger tractor than my L3800 won't get through many of my groves of trees and a smaller tractor would be too small to move what's needed. If space is not an issue and you have a large yard to work in, bigger usually moves more and is more stable.
Are you an experienced operator? Always keep the weight (log) as low as possible while driving. If you're working hills, keep the tractor/loads as perpendicular to the slope as possible. If you are going up a steep slope, then back up it. If you get stuck going up, you can drive forward out of it. Make sure you have a counter weight or implement on the back of the tractor so you don't do the "front end hand stand".
Here is my Kubota L3800 with a cedar log that it handles quite easily. You might gauge what you're going to be sawing to size your tractor:

Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

DDW_OR

flattail, tractor

I have a Mahindra 5520 4x4, 51 HP, pallet forks with 2 additional forks to make a tractor pitch fork
on the 3-point i have a Farmi skidder winch rated for 11,000#, makes a good counter weight for moving logs.
additional 3-point attachments i can recommend: trailer hitch, grader blade, rake

"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!