iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dehumidifier

Started by Faron, May 11, 2006, 11:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faron

I have to store some kd hickory in my open , gravel floored sawmill building for a while.  (No room in the shop)  I have raised it off the ground and put plastic under it.  I then covered it with plastic, and placed a home dehumidifier under the tent.  Will this maintain the lumber at about the right moisture, and what humidity should I keep the dehumidifier set at? 
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

beenthere

It will depend on the temperature, I believe, and what moisture content you are going to try to maintain.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scsmith42

Faron, the short answer is that it depends upon what you want to do with the lumber (framing, furniture, or flooring).  Framing lumber is usually kept around 16%MC, interior lumber around 6%.

If you'll provide me with an average temperature, species, and targeted use, I'll look up the recommended RH that will maintain the MC%.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

woodhaven

Faron.
What you have done is created a kiln and all precautions that apply one also apply to you. There are many charts on the forum about MC versus humidity and are easy to read. Bottom line is it will work.
Richard

BBTom

Generally speaking 35% humidity if I am not mistaken.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Faron

Hi, guys,  This is hickory dried down to 6%. I'll be making flooring out of it just as soon as I can get it in the shop-at least by the last of the month.  The dehumidifier reads temp and humidity, and you can set the target humidity.  Essentiallly I am just trying to keep the humidity around the stack at about the same as it will be when it gets in the house.  Daytime temp lately has been in the 60's, hopefully getting into the seventys sometime next week.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

scsmith42

Faron, here is the breakdown.  At 70 degrees F and 35% RH, your EMC will be 6.2%.  At 70 degrees F and 35% RH, your EMC will be 6.9%.  Regards,  Scott

EMC % chart   

Temp (F)   30% RH   35% RH
50   6.3   7.1
70   6.2   6.9
90   5.9   6.7
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Don_Lewis

You will have to keep it quite warm to maintain 35% RH. The coil would freeze up if you try it at 70F. It is easier and cheaper to simply run a heater on a humidistat and keep the air warm enough to have the humidity stay at 35%. This isn't a good application for a dehumidifier.

Faron

OK. Thanks, guys.

Faron

iain

Dead stack it off the ground and wrap it tight with plastic (damp proof membrane is good)
it will not move in a month like that, it will move more in your shop as you machine it

Iain

Thank You Sponsors!