iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DanG woodchucks

Started by bandmiller2, May 29, 2010, 08:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

What are you guys pet ways to eliminate the chuck problem around your diggins.I know the most satisfying way is to put the cross hairs on them.I also have a flex pipe I put on the lawn mower exhaust stuff that down the hole.I've used old signal flares and road fusees with decent results.Used to buy those chuck bombs at the local Agway farm store but they took the red phosforus out of the mix,now they just get the chuck high. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

chevytaHOE5674

A .22 LR is the best "cure" for a chuck problem IME.

SPIKER

"con=a-bear" traps work great!   i  got 5 in my back barn this year already...

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

jtmccallum

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on May 29, 2010, 08:20:07 PM
A .22 LR is the best "cure" for a chuck problem IME.

Any of the .22 Center fires work as well. 8)
We have gassed them with tractor also.
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

thecfarm

My little Boo-Boo does a good job,a terrier,golden retriever mix. He had one in a stone wall the other day. But the wood chuck was smarter than we was this time. He got under a rock about 4 feet across and I could not get to him. Lucky for him this time. I tore the wall apart to get to him,but the big rock slowed me down.  ;D  Have tore them apart before and came to a flat rock and picked it up and the wood chunk was under it. He's killed 2 so far.  I just have to dig them out for Boo-Boo,he does the rest. The wood chunks lives in the stone walls now. The wife mows so much,she has taken away their cover. Have not found a hole for years here. Did not know they took the good stuff out of the smoke bombs.At work they was having a hard time with them,could not really shot them there. They hired some guy at work to trap them. He just used a hav-a-heart trap with no bait. For some reason the wood chunks will go in to a trap like this with no bait. Sounds odd,but know it works. When to the future DIL college graduation and the students hand fed them things there. I saw one on the lawn and stopped the car and hollered at it and it never even picked up it's head. Boo-Boo would give them a education real quick.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

thecfarm has it. I had a dog that would root them beggars out of their hole if it took all day to dig. He'd snap their necks and that was that. Now I have a squirrel problem. I see two young squirrels got knocked off by a rival squirrel I assume, they was dead on the lawn yesterday. I need to set up my trap line again.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ohsoloco

Maya just killed one on Friday, second one this year  ;D  Little bugger did get her around the eyes pretty good though, before she could snap his neck.  Took a trip to the vet today for some antibiotic eye drops.

Sprucegum

A Dang woodchuck has dug a hole under my outhouse - I don't think I should set a bomb off in there  ???   ???

Dave Shepard

Capstick had a snake go down the outhouse on safari once. He burned that sucker to the ground. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

trapper

I use  blackies blend garden fresh  liquid on a lettuce leaf in a box trap.
blackies is a professional lure maker.  Several lure manufactures have lures for squirrels and woodchucks.  trapper and preditor caller on line should have adds
for lures.  In my own yard 17hmr is instant. conn e bears are good also if NO PETS arround. A peice of  rope with a loop on the end to stick your foot in and double looped through the spring eyes to compress the springs  to get your arm out one handed is handy to have at all times.   A 220 will make your arm numb in minutes.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

stonebroke

If you have a dairy farmer who has a liquid manure system , have him back up to the holes and put a hose down it. Fill it up with liquid manure and you solve the problem.

Stonebroke

gary

My neighbor said to put cat poop down the hole and that will get rid of them. Anyone ever try that?

bandmiller2

Shot a skunk in the garden and stuffed him down a chuck hole,chuck moved out.Frank C.

bandmiller2

True story,years ago we had a bad septic tank problem and a impending party,everything backed up.Spotted a chuck hole nearby pumped the whole tank into that massive hole complex, it felt good.A week later filled it again,chuckie moved out and started a new burrough but took a round before completing it.Frank C.

Ron Wenrich

We had a good groundhog dog, Buckwheat, a yellow lab.  We always knew when he had a groundhog, as he would circle it and bark.  The groundhog would follow him until it got dizzy.  That's when he would grab them behind the neck, and one shake would kill it.

We started to keep track of his kills.  One year he got 36.  I figured that probably took care of the resident breeding population.  Next year he got 32.  Every year he was in double digits.  Rarely got bit.  The only dog that I had that would hunt for groundhogs. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: bandmiller2 on May 31, 2010, 06:17:40 AM
Shot a skunk in the garden and stuffed him down a chuck hole,chuck moved out.Frank C.

:D

Coyotes take care of the problem around here. Haven't seen a 'chuck hole on the farm in 25 years.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

We used to catch em with a W-14 case loader and a log pile.  If you saw them enter a log pile somewhere within 6-10 feet from the end of the pile, you could generally drive up to the pile and start pushing. They don't take real well to compaction. ;D

We used to find them all the time hanging between logs on the log deck leading to the debarker after they got crushed then scooped up with a deck full of logs.  We used to grow some biguns around the mill yard.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bro. Noble

Well, Ron, did Buckwheat have a sister named Sal?

There's a banjo tune about Sal.

"Here comes Sal with a snigger and a grin, Here comes Sal with a snigger and a grin

Groundhog grease all over her chin,   g r o u n d h o g ;D ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

limbrat

Get some well known chief to serve it. It got real hard on the redfish for a while.
ben

SwampDonkey

Well got rid of 3 squirrels this week, two got cannibalized I think and I got one today in a rat trap that had peanut butter and a hazelnut on top.  ;D  One more to get I think.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bobus2003

Quote from: bandmiller2 on May 29, 2010, 08:15:22 PM
What are you guys pet ways to eliminate the chuck problem around your diggins.I know the most satisfying way is to put the cross hairs on them.I also have a flex pipe I put on the lawn mower exhaust stuff that down the hole.I've used old signal flares and road fusees with decent results.Used to buy those chuck bombs at the local Agway farm store but they took the red phosforus out of the mix,now they just get the chuck high. Frank C.

I tend to use the 7mm WSM or the 30-30.. quick end for them

I believe these still have the phosforous in them.. The smoke/fumes are horrid if you inhale them:
http://www.nationalfirefighter.com/product_info.php?products_id=599

thecfarm

Boo Boo got another one in the stone wall. Killed it and carried it all the way up to the house. Must of been this year wood chuck. It was a small one. Grandson hunter was here to catch all the action. He helped me tear apart the stone wall to get to it. Boo Boo was some proud of his catch.First one this year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Troublermaker

We been having good luck with gas and paper towers.  Take a big ball of paper towel and get it really wet with gas. Put it down the hole and cover up the hole. I use a stick to push it down as far as I can. A neighbor that truck farm told me about it. That is what he use to kill them.

SwampDonkey

I had to douse one with a bucket of rainwater last week on the lawn. He was a mean old bugger. If I'd have had a shovel handy, I would have brained him right there.

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!