iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

are these cull trees?

Started by MILL BRANCH FARMS, January 25, 2013, 08:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MILL BRANCH FARMS

what's the opinion on trees like these? cull them or let them grow? the first pic i call the bottle neck. it's 20" at the base and 10" dbh. do trees like these grow slower? next is the "double double" they are all about 10" dbh. then the " small double", about 6" dbh. and the "double", 10" dbh. they are all oak. what other trees should be culled?
DIGGER

Ed_K

I would cut them IF they are blocking better trees up in the crown/canapy
Ed K

thecfarm

Depends what you growing for grade. Have you been following this thread,
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,63273.0.html

Many of the trees in that thread I have sent up in smoke for firewood. Sorry guys.   :-\   Just another way to look at a tree that does not look good in my eyes for a saw log.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

I agree with Ed.  I would remove all the multiple trunk trees in the next scheduled harvest.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

g_man

Quote from: WDH on January 25, 2013, 09:04:36 AM
I agree with Ed.  I would remove all the multiple trunk trees in the next scheduled harvest.

What would happen if he cut all but the best stem on the multible stemmed trees ?

Ed_K

Could do that,but I'd still look at what else is close and weigh the options.
Ed K

VT_Forestry

Quote from: g_man on January 25, 2013, 11:45:05 AM
What would happen if he cut all but the best stem on the multible stemmed trees ?

Often times when you cut all but one stem, you create a vector for a pathogen or disease to impact that remaining tree.  There is also the possibility that because of the way the multiple stems grew (out at an angle due to originating from a stump sprout) that the remaining tree is "unbalanced" if you will, and more susceptible to windthrow or falling down in general.  This has just been my personal experience, anyone else feel free to chime in with something different :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Ianab

When you look at the crowns of those multiple leader trees you will see that all the branches are on one side. So the tree is badly balanced, the pith will be off centre in the log, and it react badly when you saw it. (Tension etc)

Personally I'd take them out, even if it's just firewood, and allow something better to grow, or at least give better nearby trees the space to grow.

You may be able to salvage multiple leader trees in the sapling stage, where the shoots you remove are small enough to heal over quickly and the main leader can grow reasonably straight and balanced. But in those early stages there is probably better tree 6 ft away that that can be left, and the poorly formed ones removed.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

g_man

MILL BRANCH FARMS

what about the "bottle necks" ?
DIGGER

stavebuyer

Locally we refer to the deformity in the 1st picture as "muscle" in white oaks. Veneer buyers tend to frown on it but other markets don't. Maybe one of the foresters can explain its cause. Seems to be fairly common in some areas/soils. I wouldn't cull it.

saxon0364

I agree with VT Forester and Stavebuyer.   Best to take all the stems at once, open your canopy for better growth of better trees.  A stem left with its root system and weight not balanced is likely to blow down.     I'd leave the other one like Stave suggested, it will make a grade log.
Nothing wrong with quiet.

treefarmer87

I agree too, you should cut all of them, except maybe the one in the 1st pic
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Ron Scott

Good advice given for the tree removals. Also consider what is in the rest of the stand. If mast trees are lacking for wildlife, one or two of the oaks may be retained for wildlife.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!