iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer blades vs. Cook's blades

Started by Secondchance, April 19, 2019, 05:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Secondchance

Which is the most preferred sawmill blades for the Wood-mizer LT15? Blades directly from Wood-mizer or Cook's Saw?
Jeff

Bruno of NH

The one that cuts best for you and stays sharp the longest.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

kelLOGg

I have used both and I find that they both cut equally well but the Wood-Mizer bands set better. I know that's pretty weird but here is what I have experienced in setting Cooks Excel: I put the band in the Cat Claw setter, back the anvil out so it does not make contact with a tooth and actuate the handle to press on the band. Ideally the dial indicator should not move if the band is perfectly flat. This is indeed the case on one side of the band but when I flip the band and repeat the process the dial indicator does move (0.005" and more). I have never understood this - if the band has curvature the dial indicator should move regardless of whether the band is flipped or not. I haven't observed this with WM bands.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

YellowHammer

When I had my WM LT15, my preferred band was the standard WM 7°, 045 thickness in hardwood.  They cut just fine and I got them resharpened at WM Resharp.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

petefrom bearswamp

Have used a lot of them.
WM Cooks Timber Wolf. Wood  maxx.
Just like lovin all are good just some better  than others
Now stick with WM for Re sharp
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Different species may saw differently, heck even different logs from the same species will occasionally saw differently.  I would not want to get into the game of chasing blades searching for some minuscule blade difference that may or may not exist. 

Yes, I have used many different blade profiles from several different suppliers especially early in my sawing career.  I even tried some different belts, but I went back to trusting the R&D that my sawmill's manufacturer had done.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

I too tried different belts, shorter Goodyear which were a bear to install and the orange ones which were hard to install too and were out of round causing bad vibration. got no satisfaction from the mfr.
Back to the b47s
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Secondchance

Thanks all for the information, it was very helpful.
Jeff

Secondchance

Trying to get an idea of bf per hr. on LT15 with power feed, one man.
Jeff

Southside

The volume of Mountain Dew and number of Whoopie Pies you have consumed will have a greater effect on BF production over who made the band. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Nomad

Quote from: Secondchance on April 20, 2019, 05:31:45 PM
Trying to get an idea of bf per hr. on LT15 with power feed, one man.
Jeff
You'd need to narrow that down some.  What kind of wood?  Size of the logs?  Are the logs clean?  Mill layout?  What are you cutting?  (Railroad ties, 1x10, etc.)  All those factors are going to make a much bigger difference than the brand of band you're using.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

YellowHammer

WM bands will keep the LT15 sawing straight.  

I seem to remember somewhere well under 200 bdft per hour for 4/4 boards with mine, and not unusual to get 100 bdft/hr at the end of the day as I wore down.  I edged on the mill, so that slowed things down a bit, also.  However, the mill cut extremely straight lumber. 

I remember many years ago they did a sawmill shootout and hit 1,150 bdft per hour, two guys, for one hour.  They were dead beat afterword, and needed some Dew.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!