iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Farmi vs. Uniforest 3pt Skidding Winches

Started by labradorguy, September 04, 2018, 02:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

labradorguy

Hi all. I'm looking at buying a skidding winch for one of my tractors. It's an 85hp, 10500lb, 4wd with an open station.

I've narrowed the selection down to Farmi and Uniforest.

I have tried to get a demo or at least see one in action, but it seems, according to the salesmen, there are none to be found anywhere in the Ozarks.

I'm going to try and see if I can pick one or the other and then go take a look at it.

I've never used one, but they look really handy.

I have been checking out the Farmi JL 61 and I also received a quote on the Uniforest 85H pro.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a consensus on paying the extra money for the hydraulic version?? Same with the remote and the unwinder. When you add in some of those options, it can up the price by over 4k...

I'm wondering about the remote too. I work by myself and can see it being a huge time saver while winching. Not sure if it is huge enough to pay the extra $$$. I can't get an answer from the importer either on if it is wired or wireless. Wired doesn't make much sense to me.

If anyone knows much about the two winches, or pros and cons on options or mechanical vs. hydraulic, I'd really like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks!

thecfarm

Hyd and remotes sound good to me. Yes,they cost money,but as I say my convenience is worth something. And it will last for years. I've had one since 1993,it's been used hard and often and keeps on going. Those was not much of an option all those years ago. I know the remote would save me alot of trips to the tractor and back.
Just so you know,don't pull at sharp angle. The log may stop and the winch is still going and the tractor is tipping over sideways.  :o  I had a small tree,maybe 6 inches across that laid the opposite way of the trail. I stopped the tractor and hooked up to this small tree. The small tree stopped on a root and I kept pulling on the rope as the tractor was up on 2 wheels. I knew better,but thought,it's only a small tree........, Don't think,next time.
I made up some small chains,4 foot ones. I use those more than the 8 foot ones. Not going to haul  4-5 logs at a time needing 8 foot chains. I also run 6 slides. Sometime all 6 are used and sometimes only one is used.
Watch out for the slash. With the remote you can really get away from the tractor. I run mine with a 6 foot rope.
You get snow? I put the winch down on a 6 inch dead fir covered with snow. The tractor started to slide backwards on me when I was winching. Than I saw why.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

I have 2 reasons not to go the long dollar route with the winch(hyd. and electrical remote).One is the cost and the other is electrical gremlins that would render the winch unusable at a bad time.At first glance it seems great.Oh their is a 3rd reason,my brain.I can understand my Tajfun winch,it's all mechanical,don't want to overload any circuits between my ears,it's getting a little fragile up there.
Good luck if you have the money and a modern tractor it would be a sweet set up.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

vasquat

Hi labradorguy,

I'm just curious if you found a skidding winch.  I also live in the Ozarks (northern half) and need to thin out 40 acres.  I've been looking for a skidding winch and I've been having a heck of a time.  Best wishes,

Vasquat

labradorguy

I did. I went with the Uniforest. It slots in nicely between the forestry mulcher and the skidder. Money well spent.

Thank You Sponsors!