iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Sharpener for rip chain

Started by Snag, September 08, 2005, 09:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snag

I am looking for a little help.  I puchased a Tecomec Baby Jolly because it advertised that it could grind a chain all the way down to zero, and I had read a post on another forum in which a person said he also used this grinder on his rip chains.  I bought it and cannot figure out how to get it to grind small angles (cant even get 15 to work).  The directions are terrible and the company will not respond to my inquiries.  Can anyone out there give me a hand?  Anyone use or have used this grinder for rip chains?  Thanks.

jokers

You cannot tilt the head on this grinder, it is fixed at 60°. Profiling the stone asymetrically will get you the desired sidplate angle and profile.

Why can`t you pivot the base which holds the chain vise? There is a wingnut underneath it to lock it in place.

Russ

Snag

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately I'm not following what you are saying.  The entire grinder clamps onto the bar, and then there is a knob on the back you loosen and set to the desired angle.  Then you rotate the head so the wheel will come into contact with the chain.  When it is set to say 35 degrees, for example, the head rotates nicely into the chain.  When the angle setting is close to zero or ten or something small, the head that needs to be rotated is in line with the bar clamp.  Rotating the head just makes the grinding wheel rotate from the near center of the bar to either side, never touching the chain.  What did you mean by profiling the stone asymetrically? Thanks for your help and bearing with me, these rip chains are fairly new to me, and I dont want to mess up the new chains I bought.  Thanks again....

jokers

Hi SNAG96,

I have to apologize. I know that you posted that you had purchased a Baby Jolly but my feeble mind processed that as a Mini Jolly and I replied in that context.

You can effectively change the head angle from 60° by putting a larger radius on the edge of the wheel that contacts the cutter, ie; a portion of a 1/4" radius on a 3/16" wheel(asymmetric) vs. a 3/32" radius(symmetric) which would form a circle 3/16" if completed.

After looking at a Baby Jolly I understand where your problem lies, I don`t think I can offer you a complete solution.

If you adjust the centering screws on the bar clamp, it appears that you could offset the head relative to the chain enough to grind a 10° topplate angle, probably nothing less. You would have to recenter for each side. How low an angle do you want here?

Russ

Snag

I was looking for about 7 but I think 10 would do it.  I could tip the grinder forward on the bar (rotate the grinder towards the tip of the bar), set the angle so that it is 10 degrees while in this "neutral" position and the depth of the grind.  I could then tilt the head out of the way, adjust the chain to the right position and let the wheel go back to the original position, thus grinding the top plate.  However, I will end up loosing the 60 degrees.  I wouldnt mind that but I believe the the angle would end up being smaller which from what I have read is not desirable.  Any other ideas?  Thanks......

Thank You Sponsors!