iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The First Ever Auction to support "The Greatest Forum"

Started by Paschale, November 02, 2005, 10:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Well, it doesn't take too long for people to figure out that this is The Greatest Forum on the web, as Deadwood's discovered himself in such a short period of time.   8)  We all love this place, and some of us have been brewing up a fun way to find a way to help support it and make sure it stays put on the web.  We have to thank the sponsors for all the help they provide for the forum.   8)  But...it takes more than that, and basically, this place is a labor of love of Jeff.  All of the rest of the support for this comes out of his pocket, and it ain't cheap!

So...this is what we're going to do.  We're going to have an auction starting on December 1, so mark your calendars!  Several of the members are either making or donating some items to be auctioned off on Ebay, and all of the proceeds will go directly to helping to defray the costs of running this place.  A few of the items will be auctioned off solely in the Forestry Forum, for items that we want to keep "in house," or perhaps items that might not fly on Ebay...such as some homemade maple syrup.   ;D  It should be A LOT of fun, since a lot of these items will be handmade by some of the members we chat with on a day to day basis here on the Forum.  And even one of our sponsors has thrown something really cool into the mix.

We'll unveil the items a little after Thanksgiving, and then on December 1, the gavel will drop!  It should be tons of fun, and it's a way we can do our part to help support the Forestry Forum, and get something cool in return!

In the meantime, any of you that are so inclined...have you noticed that little white button to the left of this very post, just below the list of sponsors?  Well, that's where you can become a sponsor too.  Click on the "Support Your Forestry Forum."  That's a way to give a little something with a Paypal donation, and a way we can share the load. 

Bring on the AUCTION!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

oakiemac

Good idea. I would be willing to donate some things like turning blocks if you need any more items.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

brdmkr

Sounds like fun.  I'll be thinking about items to contribute.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

sawwood

I have a few bowls i can add to the auction. Just add them to the list.
i will even pay for the shipping my self. Can't waite for the fun to begin.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

BW_Williams

Great idea,  I would like to donate a "guided" hunting trip in WA for 2006, with me as the guide, but not being a professional guide it wouldn't fly on Ebay.  The winner would choose the game and purchase the tags, any takers?  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Part_Timer

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Coon

So what time do the auctions start on  December 1/ 05?  At this point in time I do not have anything to donate as an auction item but I will be there to join in the fun and possibly do some bidding.

Is there going to be another date set for auctioning items off in the future?  Say a Christmas auction???
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Jeff

This auction is planned at this time so the timing should be good for Christmas. You will need an ebay account to bid and the bidding will be open several days for each item. THe idea is that they (auctions) close and there is time to make payments and have the doners ship to the winning bidder in time for Christmas.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Somebody better tell frank to get ready. I plan on putting up one of my two exploding splitting wedges for the auction. You may never ever find another unused splitting wedge like these available again.  ;D

Furby

Ya mean I gotta go up against Frank on that one ???
DanG !!! :-\

asy

I'd be happy to donate a couple of photos for the auction...  If anyone thinks they're worth donating.

'tis all I have.

Photos do sell on ebay.

Another thought is, on one of the other forums I hang out on (www.wetcanvas.com) which is an artist's forum, they have a voluntary donation thing, whereby people can paypal donations to them and get a little badge on their profile. $10 gets bronze, $25 gets silver, $50 gets gold, etc. That way people can donate IF they wish, or are able, and it makes it easy for them...   Just a thought...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Jeff

Quote from: asy on November 02, 2005, 10:38:43 PM

Another thought is, on one of the other forums I hang out on (www.wetcanvas.com) which is an artist's forum, they have a voluntary donation thing, whereby people can paypal donations to them and get a little badge on their profile. $10 gets bronze, $25 gets silver, $50 gets gold, etc. That way people can donate IF they wish, or are able, and it makes it easy for them...   Just a thought...

Asy, look to your left under the sponsors. ;)

Did you know I used to paint back in the day? I've got paintings as far away as England. In fact, the very first website I built was because of the paintings. There is still remnants of that site that I keep for a good chuckle now and then. the address is https://forestryforum.com/jeff  you have to have java to view much of it. the link right to some of the paintings is this:
https://forestryforum.com/jeff/photo.htm

I might throw a painting in the mix if Tammy will give me one. She took the unsold ones away from me to keep me from getting rid of them. :D

Frank_Pender

Frank Pender

Furby

I don't have deep pockets like you do Frank.......... but I do live closer and can head off the shipping guy if needed. ;) ;D

Jeff

Quote from: Frank_Pender on November 02, 2005, 11:17:30 PM
Furby, I hope your pouch is full. ;D

:D   Pouch, thats a good one.  So Furbies are in the Kangaroo family!

asy

Quote from: Jeff B on November 02, 2005, 10:58:04 PM

Did you know I used to paint back in the day? I've got paintings as far away as England.

Crikey!!  you are SERIOUSLY GOOD!

Get those brushes out!

Look forward to seeing some new work!

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Mike_P.

Rust Reaper will contribute.  Perhaps, a gallon with a sprayer, also some water base cleaner/degreaser?  What do you think?

Mike

Paschale

Quote from: Mike_P. on November 03, 2005, 08:24:01 AM
Rust Reaper will contribute.  Perhaps, a gallon with a sprayer, also some water base cleaner/degreaser?  What do you think?

Mike

Sounds great, Mike--whatever you'd like to give is more than welcome.  And thanks for your sponsorship of the forum too!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

crtreedude

I have a couple of ideas for auction.

1. I will scrounge some of the wierdest wood I can find down here is send it back with someone in sizeable box - exotic tropical wood sampler. It is sure to contain very interesting stuff for a wood worker. All labeled and identified. I'll handle the shipping to anywhere in the USA.

2. There is a really excellent book here on the Timber Trees of Costa Rica - I might donate one. FDH has two if I remember. It gives lots of information (and pretty pictures) about 55 of the trees most commonly used for timber here.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

beenthere

Do woods from CR have to go through any 'inspections' before shipping, or in customs, or upon 'arrival' ?

How does that work?  or doesn't it  ::)

Maybe we just 'fight fires' after the fact. EAB is one that comes to mind, as of recent. The Dutch and the Asians get credit for others.
I'm just curious.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

crtreedude

Usually the whole thing is fumagated - but you don't generally have much concern. Tropical pest don't do too well up there.

They lack long underwear...  :D

beenthere

Do the FDH get 'fumgated' when he wants to come home?  :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

crtreedude

Deadwood

How can I say what I did the other day and not donate something? Well my personal beliefs and business ethics say I can't. I build custom wooden models of such things as skidders, tractors, trucks and the like, I will leave the link here to some of the stuff I build, but not as an advertisement, but to let you guys be thinking about what you want for a model. I will gladly donate a custom wooden model of whatever the winning bidder wants, or of an Old Steam Driven Lombard Log Hauler, complete with case and everything.

That is the least I can do. If this donation is not adequate, please let me know. I certainly do not want to donate something nobody is interested in.

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/Wood_Models.html

Jeff

Travis, no one should feel that they need to donate. No one. Its not required in anyway by anyone and I would not want anyone of our members to feel that way.

Thank You Sponsors!