iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

seriously heavy duty truck

Started by thedeeredude, October 24, 2007, 06:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

I just saw an advertisement for a new truck that might hit the spot for hauling logs and lumber.
Sterling Bullet  Man oh man.  6.7 cummins with an allison or 6 sp manual tranny. 

isawlogs

That a nice truck , dual cab 4x4 dually with guts and a strong back .  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dave Shepard

Is it really the Allison, or the Aisin? The Dodges (which is what the Bullet is) use the Aisin. The Aisin is supposed to be a really great transmission, on par with Allison. It works in conjunction with the "Jake" brake that is built into the turbo, is supposed to be 40% stronger than the old style exhaust brake, which would be impressive.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thedeeredude

I thought it was the allison but could easily be wrong.  Never heard of aisin.  Either way, awesome truck 8)

Gary_C

How about this one: International RXT

Navistar just released the new XT series pickups if you want to call them pickups. They also have Allison automatic transmissions.      :o :o

Those are serious pickups.  8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Quartlow

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 24, 2007, 07:46:29 PM
It works in conjunction with the "Jake" brake that is built into the turbo, is supposed to be 40% stronger than the old style exhaust brake, which would be impressive.
Dave

It's not a "Jake" brake, it's an engine exhaust brake. An engine brake Like a Jake opens the exhaust valve at the top of the compression stroke relieving the energy out the exhaust. when you lose your explosive force it then creates drag which slows you down,  ;)

so it's a glorified Dodge interesting, Given Sterling used to be ford I would have thought it would have been a ford

I hate to see what it costs. I bet it's the same tranny thats in the Dodge trucks.
I looked at the IH RXT  at the fair this year, it's got the Internationals version of the power stroke
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Dave Shepard

I put the "Jake" in parenthesis because it isn't a Jacobs engine brake. However, the exhaust brake on my pickup is made by Jacobs, they even gave me a little sticker that says "Jake Brake" on it. ;) Do you know where the Jake was invented, and why it is called a Jake brake, when the Jacobs drill company had nothing to do with its invention?

The former Daimler-Chrysler owns/owned Freightliner/Sterling, hence the Sterling being a rebadged Dodge.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Quartlow

either or, It's one of my pet peeves, theres exhaust brakes and theres engine brakes. it's one or the other no matter who made it.
Jake brake has just become a universal term for an engine brake. You say Jake brake to me and I think engine brake not exhaust brake.  ;)

And the answer is Cummins sometime in the mid to late 50's they marketed it to the Jacobs company.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Warbird

That's a nice truck.  Might even be my new dream truck, as it appears to have a solid front axle.  Which means it would do well with a large snow plow hanging off the front.  ;D

Dave Shepard

Cummins, yes, but not the Cummins Engine Co. It was invented by Clessie and Lyle Cummins in Clessie's basement. It was completed in '59, and was first available in '61. All Cummins patents were offered to the Engine Co for first refusal, they refused. The nephew of Clessie's financial supporter, W.G. Irwin, married into the Jacobs family. They had the manufacturing capacity to make the Jake brake. 8) I understand your pet peeve, a Jake brake to me is also an engine brake, not an exhaust brake, however, I was refering to a Jacobs Exhaust Brake, so there lies the conundrum.

Dave

thedeeredude

Yeah they were out testing a Cummins engine and lost the brakes on a hill and almost died.  So they invented the engine brake.

Haytrader

My trucks have "jakes" and I am glad.
I usually don't have to touch the brake pedal much. Now if I could just get my son to do the same.  ;)
Same son just got a new Dodge 2500 and it has the engine brake.
I may just have to get me one now.
;D
Haytrader

Dave Shepard

I went 125k on the front brakes, have 163k on the rears, and have never even adjusted them. ;) Front brakes didn't wear out, the pads rotted off. ::) Average trailer weight is 12k. Couldn't be happier.

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!