iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New from Florida

Started by Barney67, March 27, 2018, 12:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney67

Hello from the Florida panhandle. My situation is probably like many others that come here, I have projects (barn, house remodel, etc) and plenty of pine to turn into lumber. Beyond the building projects, I like woodworking and have some oak, pecan and sweet gum on my property that I'd like to mill as well. Still deciding on which mill to go with, but not in a rush. I'm sure I'll have questions, but right now just trying to soak up as much info as I can from the forum and want to say thanks to all that contribute their knowledge here. smiley_thumbsup
EZ Boardwalk 40 Mahindra 5570

WV Sawmiller

Barney,

Welcome to the Forum. Where in the panhandle are you located? Update your profile so we all know. It helps.

I grew up in Escambia County Fla just about 5 miles below the Alabama line and 40 miles north of Pensacola. Little community of Bluff Springs, went to school at Century.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Barney67

Thanks WV,
I'm in north Okaloosa county, went to Baker, I remember them Century Blackcats.

SawyerTed

Welcome to the forum!  The fun of the search for just the right mill is just a prelude to lots of hard satisfying work....eeeerr fun!  I meant fun!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

ladylake

With all that work to do you might want to hire a mill for a couple of days and end up with 5000 to 6000 bf if you have nice logs. You don't want to let pine logs lay too long in hot weather.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

firefighter ontheside

Welcome aboard.  I joined years ago, but just got a second hand LT15 last year.  I have received much help here on many things and I'm sure you will too.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

slider

Welcome Barney67, you may want to check out customsawyers project coming up in April . You will not be disappointed . Lots of sawyers and a great way to meet like minded folks like your self. 
al glenn

Florida boy

Welcome to the forum! Glad you made it!

I live in Jackson county a few counties east of you. I'm in Oklahoma now for work but will be home next week . If your interested in seeing what a manual mill is all about send me a pm. More than happy to let feel it out.
The one I have is an cooks mp32. Very solid mill. Milling is a contactable disease be warned😁 . The forum is an incredible culture of great people with a plethora of knowledge on all kinds of things. , again welcome.

Barney67

Thanks for the warm welcome and info everyone! I'll see if I can find the info on customsaywers project.

Florida boy, awesome offer! Cooks MP32 is one of the mills I'm considering, I'll send you a PM in a couple weeks.

Nomad

Welcome aboard, Barney!  The advice about not letting the pine logs lay too long is good advice.  At the least, get them up off the ground.  Here's a link to CustomSawyer's shindig.
Georgia Sawing project 2018 in Sawmills and Milling
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Barney67!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

Letting pine lay can be beneficial if your doing church work. If you let it lay for some time you will have some holey wood. 
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Barney67

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 28, 2018, 08:38:10 AM
Letting pine lay can be beneficial if your doing church work. If you let it lay for some time you will have some holey wood.
lol
My trees are still standing, good to know though.

petefrom bearswamp

Welcome to the best forum on the net
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Barney,

When I was in school and we occasionally played Baker I think the McTeer brothers were there and they were unstoppable. Houston McTeer was one, I forget the other. 

Century school has been closed many years and now consolidated with what used to be Walnut Hill.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Barney67

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 28, 2018, 06:13:47 PM
Barney,

When I was in school and we occasionally played Baker I think the McTeer brothers were there and they were unstoppable. Houston McTeer was one, I forget the other.

Century school has been closed many years and now consolidated with what used to be Walnut Hill.
The McTears, George was the probably other one, I went to school with their younger brother. Houston held or was tied for the world record in the 100 yard dash at one point if I remember correctly. He was kind of a joker and would hobble around on crutches sometimes before track meets, then smoke everybody. Shame he wasted all that talent.

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Barney67.  Do try to come up to Jake's Georgia sawing project this April.  if you have not bought a mill by October, you can attend the SE Ag Expo in Moultrie GA this Fall.  Sawmill dealers will demo several brands and models.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!