iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

COOKS AC36 use or New woodmizer lt35

Started by Hayseed, January 06, 2019, 07:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

Ronwood raised a valid point about volume you want to produce in an hour on average.

I bought the LT40 hydraulic with the intent of hobby sawing for me BUT have upgraded it to be pretty much a Super to get the productivity I am satisfied with for the custom sawing that has become my lot.

IF you are going to be doing a LOT of milling by yourself the trapezoid bed and single mast head design outperform the 4 post design to the extent that the mills are not even in the same class.

I can consistently cut 300+BF per hour all alone but I have to bust my butt. You will be hard pressed with LT35 & LT40 hydraulic to do that. I don't think the Cooks will reach 300BF an hour average without a good helper.

The over all ergonomics and quality of a Woodmizer is without rival based on hands on experience of working with 5 different mills before I bought my mill AND just shy of 2000 hours sawing time on my mill with no major repairs outside of normal wear on belts, the blade guide bearings and brushes for the electric motors, and that has been minimal at the worst. 

FYI
To be in the same class as the AC 36 you would need to be comparing it to the Woodmizer LT40 Super or the LT50. This factor alone should tell you the value factor for your dollar.           
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Hayseed

Speed is a big factor to me. I just sold my Timberking B16. Because I'd didn't have the patience for the electric head lift. 

Southside

If you are after speed, then look at a Super 70, but don't blink or you will miss something.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Hayseed

:D :D  What is your location. Southside ?

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Bandmill Bandit

After thorough review of the AC36 specs on the Cooks web site, you would need to be comparing that mill with a LT50 at the very least to get an idea of comparative value.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Hayseed

Thanks Bandmill Bandit. I can get the Cooks for less than the price of a new lt35. It is used but A friend of mine bought it new and it has been well kept. The down side is it is 13 years old with 700 hours. 

tylerltr450

I would look at features of both mills to value. A diesel motor in my mind is better than as gas one and I believe most people will agree.

WM and Cooks are both very good machines, if your not handy around equipment I would suggest get the WM since there is a lot more dealers around to help support you. If you are mechanically inclined I think the Cooks is a better option for you.

From my option the Cooks is a solid heavy built machine that is good for portable and stationary work. WM is a good light weight machine that has a great support system. I prefer the Cooks hydraulics over electric motors of WM. I also prefer the 4 post design over the cantilever design of the WM, 4 post just seems better for longevity. I also think you can get more board feet per hour out of the Cooks than a WM because you stand that the back of the machine the whole time and pull the boards back to you, unlike some WM machines. please note this is my option and I haven't run a WM machine or Cooks machine.
Timber Harvester 36HTD25 fully loaded
2006 Dodge 2500 first Auto to NV5600 swap, EFI Live Tune by me
John Deere Tractor
Massey Ferguson 711B SkidSteer

Banjo picker

Board drag back is pretty important when you work alone.  The board foot per hour depends on how nice, and how long the logs are.  My mill can cut 24' logs...but the standard for an AC36 is 21 feet, so lets say you are cutting 20 footers.  To get the 300 board feet you only need to cut 15.   Piece of cake.  Banjo 
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

ladylake

I'd get the mill that is the most reliable, hardly ever hear of any problems with Cooks mill.  Service that isn't needed is  the best.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Stephen1

700 hrs is not very many hours for a sawmill. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

Quote from: Hayseed on January 09, 2019, 02:35:57 PMThe down side is it is 13 years old with 700 hours.
I fail to see the "down side".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

The only real potential down side on a 13 year old 700 ish hour machine would be dryed out seals and some possible upper cylinder/valve train rust/corrosion. Could be a factor on the roller guides too. Neither are deal breakers for me.

And this would have more to do with how long it has been sitting since it last ran and has it been under cover out of the weather?  This would not scare me at all cause Id just pull the top end apart and make sure there are no sticking lifters/rocker arms/valves and make sure the valve seals are all good. Id probably just change those seals cause I had it open and I have to tools to do it. 

I would purge the fuel system and install new fuel filters BEFORE I started it, IF it has been sitting for more than year? Just some preventive maintenance.   

I think I'd lean to the Cooks as well over the LT 35 in this situation BUT if it was a 40 Super in the race it wouldn't even be a contest for me.    

Southside

I would also look closely at the setworks, assuming it has one. Check to see if the system is still supported and if not what is involved in an upgrade. Computers don't last forever, especially in a sawmill environment. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Been watching this and interesting views. I'm impressed with the 24' cut on the Cooks mill. That would be real nice if you are cutting some long headers for barns and other outbuildings. I've cut 20+' headers on my mill and it pretty much maxed out the normal capabilities. If you plan to saw stationary the drag back might be an attractive feature in how you set up your operation. If you plan to saw mobile the WM has some advantages.

For my mobile milling I love the cantilever design of my mill as I feel it gives me more flexibility to offbear off either side or either end. The twin rail, including WM new ones, do not jump out at me when offbearing comes to mind.

I sawed head to head with one of WM (Hereby unnamed) major competitors who criticize the cantilever head and it was a good looking mill and sawed good lumber but we shared a loader/helper on a big tractor and the other sawyer told him to put the biggest 17' long hemlock log on my mill as his hydraulics might not handle it. My loading arms never batted an eye when I hit the lifting toggle switch.

I think both mills you describe are first rate so just compare the features and support features and I am sure you will be happy with your choice which ever one you pick.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

That is a very good point concerning the computer/setworks Southside.  A call to Cooks with the sawmill Serial Number in hand would be appropriate.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Speaking of lifting capasity.  This is Chris aka @Meadows Miller with the first tree he cut in the USA.  We got 2 24' logs out of this tree that he cut off my place.  He cut these on the Cooks into 2 x 6 boards that were used for rafters on my cousins house that they bought and remodled.  Don't rember exactly how big the tree was, but you can see by comparing it to Chris's body it was a very nice pine.  If there were any limbs up to 48' they were very small.  Point being the Cooks did not have any trouble lifting them.  I have never had a log that the mill would not lift.  I have had to use my backhoe to get them to the mill as the tractor would not move them, but if you get them on the arms, they are going on the mill.  I drilled holes in the concrete and put dowels in them to keep the mill from moving when loading big stuff.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Quote from: Banjo picker on January 10, 2019, 09:02:16 PMThis is Chris aka @Meadows Miller with the first tree he cut in the USA.
And then you sent him to me......  

And he ate all of my hamburgers.  musteat_1  

Pictured on the left is our late Friend and FF Member, Willie Steel. (wwsjr)  :'(

Banjo picker

Willie was a good guy.  He was the first forestry forum menber that I personaly talked to after I got started in this line of work.  He called me one sunday afternoon.  

When Chris  was here, my mom was having a bad spell and I didn't get to spend the quality time with him I would have liked.  He and I did drive down an visit with Willie one enening though.  

If Chris came back now, he would love this high speed internet I have now :laugh: :laugh:...think I had dial up back then.  Maybe he'll see this post and chime in.  :) :) :) :) :)    :D :D :D :D  .

Lynn, you are probably the only one still on here that knows why I did that.  Banjo

Magicman

Oh yes Tim, I am following you.  Matter of fact, you and I had some conversations during that time.  ;D

Hayseed

8) looks like I am good to be the proud owner of a new to me Cooks mill. Thanks for all the insight. Their is wealth on knowledge on the form. I am going to start a new tread on hope to get some pointers on makin the mill ean it's keep. Thanks again. 

Banjo picker

When you get that new to you mill home, post up some pictures.  Congragulations .... Banjo

tylerltr450

Timber Harvester 36HTD25 fully loaded
2006 Dodge 2500 first Auto to NV5600 swap, EFI Live Tune by me
John Deere Tractor
Massey Ferguson 711B SkidSteer

Bandmill Bandit

Congrats on the Mill purchase!

We obviously did not confuse you too much BUT you now have succumbed to the terminal addiction that ALL of us on this forum have.

SAWDUST.

It will ultimately be the demise of us all!

I want to be incinerated on a huge pile of cedar and pine flichs and slabs But that isnt legal I am told!  

SawyerTed

Good going!  If a day of productive hard work is a good thing to you, I hope you have many many good days of milling!  I'm afraid that I enjoy the hard work but the beautiful product is worth it, most days.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!