iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Up and down mill idea

Started by moodnacreek, March 07, 2017, 08:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

Does anyone have knowledge of building an up and down sawmill from steel and junk and running it off a tractor p.t.o.  Maybe a side arm sash along side off a conventional carriage. The reason for this machine would be to cut oversize logs. Of coarse there nails to saw through so we will need a custom made blade with insert teeth. Compared to a circle or band it will only ruin a few teeth at a time.  Thanks for reading.

longtime lurker

If I'm understanding you right you're looking at a big single sash with insert teeth?

I've seen one, minus the insert teeth but it would have been suitable to convert to them from memory.  That one could take a 9' log through the throat, had standard sized 3/8 bits braised on, might have even been bigger. Looked huge standing in the pit looking up it anyway. It had a straight carriage: no head blocks etc and was used solely to break logs down in front of a 5' Canadian twin with a linebar setup.
Its decommissioned now but I know where it is and could probably scare up some pictures if required.

Main issue would be getting the carriage speed synched right to the saw. When your logs get to that size everything has to be over engineered to a fare thee well, and nothing happens fast.

Two ripping cuts with a chainsaw and half a plug of dynamite sounds a lot faster. Funner too!!!
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

moodnacreek

L.L.  Thanks for the post. Here in new York we are lucky to still get matches. Anyhow it would be to split big logs and have some kind of rachet  feed and automatic stop. I've been told you could milk 2 cows while an up and made 1 cut.  Photos would be great but don't go to much trouble, I may never build it.

TKehl

By no means do I want to discourage you from this project.  I'd definitely subscribe.  But, have you looked at swing mills at all?  They do a good job on oversize. 

Are you wanting wide slabs or dimensional lumber from these trees?
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

moodnacreek

Tkehl,  It would be only for oversized 8' long logs. I operate a circle mill and would saw quarters from the monsters if no metal.  I really don't want logs to big for my mill but they sneak in.

bandmiller2

Creeker, why not, only problem with sash saws is their slower than hired help. I think anything with  inserted teeth would be too course and tend to grab. Probably 2" bands cut to lengths and stretched tight in a strong steel frame would do the deed. A ratchet assembly kinda like what was used on an old ground driven manure spreader would work. Sash saw don't require much horse power. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

TKehl

Several people on the forum semi-routinely halve and quarter large logs by freehand ripping with a chainsaw the length of the log (one side or both) and split the rest of the way.  Heavy equipment seems to make the splitting easier, but not required.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Dave Shepard

That sounds like an interesting project, but from a practical standpoint, pretty low on feasibility. A wide chainsaw mill would be much easier to build, operate and maintain. But if you have your heart set on it, then we need pics. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

longtime lurker

The real issue as I see it is getting enough big logs to justify the beast.

Single sashes are pretty simple: two lengths of track, a "split" carriage to sit the log on, sash frame, the saw itself which is a length of 12" band with bolts welded either end, two big old wheels to get the up and down stroke, and a ratchet and pawl feed mechanism. Nothing complex about it from an engineering perspective.

But for a log a month I'd be thinking chainsaw, and for a log a week I'd be thinking swingmill. I've done some real big logs with a Lucas - stuff no sash I've ever seen could tackle - dig a hole beside the log with a machine, roll the log in, and attack. Once you get down to ground level, pull the log out the hole set up over it and go at it again. Its as easy a way to handle the real big stuff as anything. Tough on the tailers though, good logs that size mean they never get a rest, boards just keep on coming at them all day.

Thing with big logs is people don't realise just what they weigh. Just getting them on a truck is an adventure, then you got to get it onto a carriage. If you can get enough of them though its a no brainer to set up for them properly.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

moodnacreek

Thanks to those who responded; Yes I have an 075 / 46'' skip.  Done all that years ago.  Hardwood  logs say 36'' and better will have metal here. Some of it too deep for my detector. The idea of an up and down is that it's the only saw that only a few teeth will contact the metal. I never thought of a section of band.  All  ideas welcome.

JB Griffin

At work we get a few big logs and I usually get the privilege of splitting them. I use a ms880 with a 25in bar and full chisel chain and can have a 40in log quartered in about an hour and a tank of saw gas.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

JB Griffin

The most I have done in a day was 6. And by that 5th tank all the fun is long gone.;)
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

reedco

A small pump jack from the oil patch would balance up real nice for the up and down. Could run it will the wind for the last month here!
Not many trees

Thank You Sponsors!