iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Leaf Maple uses

Started by mclean, July 15, 2015, 12:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mclean

What to do with big leaf maple?

I took down some big leaf maple trees over the weekend as part of a job.  Figured Id send them through the mill.  Stems are 24-36"

Now its time to cut, and Im not sure what big leaf maple is good for?  You all think it would work well for rafters and trusses on a saw barn?

Big leaf mainly used for firewood?  Been looking around on craigslist and such trying to figure out how people prepare the wood, and it seems its all firewood, and a couple counter top slabs.

deadfall

Back when I was doing this as a business, it seemed that the furniture industry balked at big leaf, saying it was not machine friendly.  I heard that planers picked up the grain. 

Depending on the grain, tiger, curly, bird's eye, it can be very much in demand by luthiers.  Drying is essential to get the value added bump.  Anything you use it for, you'd need it dry and stable. 

I have watched the timber industry leave huge decks of old growth laying in the clearcuts around here, demanding a giant bond we couldn't afford to let us at it.  So much of those big old trees had fiddle tops in them. 
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

losttheplot

Hi, I have sawn a few big leaf Maple, I lost quite a lot to defects as I air dried it.
I find it hard to get good saw logs as most of the stuff I get has a pretty good sweep to it.
It splits real easy and a lot of the bigger slabs I cut ended up split down the middle.

Having said that the good stuff is nice to work with, I have built furniture and counter tops with it, also trimmed out windows (interior), hand rails and railings for staircases. You need sharp knives in your planer/jointer.  The figured wood is especially fussy, but well worth the effort.

The last few logs I milled into VG 1x4  as this seems to be the most stable.
I will glue it up into panels for my kitchen.
The stuff grows pretty fast and anything flat sawn seems to cup.
You could try advertising it for sale, milled to what the customer wants.

I would not use it for construction myself, I have access to plenty of Douglas-fir which makes very good building material.

Hope you find a use for it, if not it splits real easy and burns nicely  :'(

LTP.

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

WDH

Now that is how you use it  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kasba

Beautiful work Losttheplot, I love the countertop. Mclean I am an avid wood turner so whatever I don't sell to other wood turners I keep for myself. I love the figuring in some of the logs I mill. I also use it for cutting boards and other projects for the kitchen. Try putting it online to sell as I am sure you will have no problem selling it. Whereabouts are you located?
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

azmtnman

1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Magicman

That is some purdy stuff.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Left Coast Chris

Figured block wood is good for bowl turning also.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

MP_Wall

Beautiful figure in that wood lost. Turners like it when it is quilted so thicker blocks dipped in wax all the way around the edge might sell on ebay or at a turners club near you. If working the quilted or figured helix head jointers and planers work best followed by very sharp knives and thin passes. As is often said here, you have to cut it to find out what is in it. Good luck with it.  mpw

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That is Ug-lee.  :D
Wish I had some .  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

losttheplot

$300 plus shipping and handling :) :)

I got some that have started to rot but they are more expensive  ;) ;)
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: losttheplot on July 17, 2015, 04:24:31 PM
$300 plus shipping and handling :) :)

I got some that have started to rot but they are more expensive  ;) ;)

:D :D :D :D :D :D You're killing me!  :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

East ky logging

Nice looking tables glad that didn't go up the chimney as firewood
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Thank You Sponsors!