iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of oak?

Started by D6c, December 05, 2017, 09:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

Showing my inexperience, but can you tell what kind of oak this is?...I thought it was a type of red oak but now I'm not sure. 
It's from a fallen tree that I salvaged that didn't have any leaves.  It's laid a little too long and the butt log isn't much good.  The end of the log is anchor sealed so that may make it look a little off.

ladylake

The bottom pic is ash.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WV Sawmiller

I'd take a wild guess as chestnut oak but I could be wrong (I was once before when I thought I'd made a mistake :D).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mburrow

tmbrcruiser

Were all guessing without leaves, so my guess is hickory or ash.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

D6c

It was a twin tree that one half had fallen.  The one or two leaves I could find looked like oak leaves with pointed tips but hard to tell because they were so far gone.

Not a great pick, but here are a couple of boards from another log out of the same tree.

What got me wondering was there was almost no figure in the boards that were quarter sawed.

D6c

Quote from: mburrow on December 05, 2017, 11:53:26 AM
looks like post oak to me

Don't think we have post oak in my area...at least I've never seen one with the "cross" type leaf.

On another note....I did run across a small Chinquapin oak in my pasture this fall.  Never seen one before.  I was going to collect a few acorns but waited too long and they were gone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_muehlenbergii

ladylake

You wont get any oak boards out of that ash log.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

xlogger

I agree with Steve, lumber and bark looks like ash
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

AdamT

The logs are hickory but the lumber is Ash. Are you sure the twin tree is of the same species?

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

D6c

Quote from: AdamT on December 05, 2017, 05:38:06 PM
The logs are hickory but the lumber is Ash. Are you sure the twin tree is of the same species?

Thought so but it's entirely possible they were different.  Looks like the consensus is ash.  Maybe I'll have to harvest a known ash tree and see how it compares.

Thanks for the responses. 

drobertson

never seen ash, plenty enough hickory, and all to say here from studies, is ash has similar bark to oak, as well as the grain,  it often appears in lumber form like hickory, my guess would be to listen to folks up your way, and the leaves are the tell tail problem solver,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ladylake

The log in the bottom pic is ash for sure, the 1st and 2nd look different maybe black walnut looking at the end with the dark center and white sapwood and bark looks kinda like walnut.  Steve

D6c

Quote from: ladylake on December 06, 2017, 04:55:45 AM
The log in the bottom pic is ash for sure, the 1st and 2nd look different maybe black walnut looking at the end with the dark center and white sapwood and bark looks kinda like walnut.  Steve

To be clear, all the logs and lumber in the pics are from the same tree.  Pictures don't always give a clear image. I just wasn't absolutely sure that the twin of this tree, which is still standing, was of the same species.  Sure looked like it was though.

Sawed the rest of the butt log yesterday but it was pretty poor.  I ended up cutting about half of it into 6 x 8 x 14 shop blocks and tossed the rest on the burn pile.

dustyhat

From were im setting your first two pics look like hickory and last pic is ash and lumber looks like ash. but like you say pics dont always tell the truth.

WDH

I am with Ladylake.  It is ash.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Did you notice any circular holes in the bark? Looks just like a .22 hole? Any worm trails just under the bark? I am thinking that evidence of EAB would help confirm it being Ash.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

D6c

Quote from: Southside logger on December 07, 2017, 06:52:14 AM
Did you notice any circular holes in the bark? Looks just like a .22 hole? Any worm trails just under the bark? I am thinking that evidence of EAB would help confirm it being Ash.

It did have a lot of small holes in the bark and worm trails so it may be ash.  I don't' know if any bugs do that to downed oak or not.  Funny thing is the EAB hasn't officially infested this area yet, and I haven't seen dead ash trees....although counties not far away have it.  A lot of folks are treating their yard trees, but it's pricey, so I think the 2 or 3 I have are on their own.

Southside

I tend to see black ants in oak typically.  As far as your ash goes, I lost a bunch this year, need to get it down, but the good thing is that some of it is already re-generating from the standing stick, so I am going to cut it above any new growth and paint the cuts with hope that it comes back. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!