iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT-40hd fire

Started by carhartted, May 15, 2018, 07:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carhartted

I was running my new to me LT-40HD for the first time over the weekend. Put close to 20 hours on it, the mill has 2000 hours. On the second day of sawing I saw smoke coming from the main frame rail on the hitch end. Started taking covers off and found a bunch of smoldering sawdust inside the tube. Dumped a bunch of water in there and cooled it down. Any idea what could of caused it?  Sawed two more days after that with no more issues.
Here's to making sawdust.

tacks Y

No ideas, but I use a leaf blower on mine to clean up. Try to keep it cleaned out after use.

SawyerTed

Could the sawdust have been greasy or damp?  Spontaneous combustion could have been the case if the sawdust was greasy or oily.  It's also possible if the sawdust was wet and was decomposing.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

Either that or electrical.  I would thoroughly wash/clean it out and do some serious investigation.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

carhartted

Electrical is what I thought but the only electrical that runs through is the trailer lights and I have never used them. Was thinking the power strip on the side or ground on the bottom got hot.

Magicman

Yup, one of those two.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sparks

The pin wasn't pulled on the electric brakes switch was it?
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Chuck White

I've been following this post with interest!

I hadn't thought about the possibility of the electric brake system being under load (with the pin pulled), but that makes more sense to me now!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

Hmmm, interesting and it also reminds me I need to order a new pin to replace the piece of wood I stuck in mine years ago.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

carhartted

The sawmill has surge brakes. Is there some electrical side to them as well? The only wiring I saw in the tube was for the trailer lights.

Chuck White

Shouldn't be any electrical wires going down through the tube other than your tail light wiring if you have surge brakes!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!