iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leasing a tractor trailer?

Started by Bridger, July 03, 2010, 12:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bridger

I have often wondered if there is a way to make money by simply leasing a tractor trailer rig to a logging company around here? Seems like it would make it possible to make a little money and not have to be present for it.

However, I don't really know how that normally works. I do know around here the trucks are frequently leased but then I believe that usually the owners are the ones driving them.

Can anybody here follow the question I am asking and clue me in?

And, btw, thanks for all the free information I have acquired from reading yall's posts. I have been thoroughly enjoying being a member here.

Woodhauler

Run forest run! Just think about a rental car and the mindset of the people that drive/rent them! They don't have a nickel in them so drive the heck out of them! It would be the same with a truck,the company would put there worst driver in it and put the truck in the crap holes that they wouldn't put there trucks in! It might work if you sent a driver with it ,but then you have the employee thing going and let me speak from experiance you will have to hire and fire 10 to get one good one!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

JayG

Woodhauler is 100% correct! In this case you can call me "BeenthereDonethat". The only days my small trucking company made money were the days I drove and everyone else was off! I started the company with nice equipment and a considerable amount of cash. I closed the company just short of Bankruptcy. I had very good contracts, plenty of loads and the customers paid very promptly. It's the employee thing. Everybody wants a job (paycheck), just not alot of people want to work and almost none of them will take care of the equipment.
Think of all the people you know! Are there any of them that you would want to give 50 or 60 thousand dollars of YOUR money to, ask them to take good care of it and if they don't, well, "shame on them"? As long as you have 100% control, that means: having your own "authority", drive your own truck, have your own contract with the customers, then you aren't putting "your eggs in somebody elses basket"!

J_T

I would say in these times just go out and find ten people you don't like and give them a hundred dollars each and you will be ahead  ::) Much cheaper and less expensive too  :D

On the other hand if you need a tax wright off  ;D
Jim Holloway

Dakota

I am a trucker.  Listen to Woodhauler and JayG times 2.
Dakota
Dave Rinker

Sawyerfortyish

I'll agree with everyone else. Run your own equipment. Now where is the head of this line for free hundred doller bills ;) ;D :D

Thank You Sponsors!