iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Completely Stumped

Started by Ishvp1979, February 08, 2019, 09:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ishvp1979

This one has me completely stumped. I've shown it to a lot of people, who also don't know what it is. If it's not one thing it's another that's throwing people off. There is a sticky sap coming from under the bark.  

Ishvp1979

Two things I should add.  It's not an evergreen (it's leaves had shed) and it's harder than white oak.  Can't be scratched on the end fibers with my knife.  

TKehl

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Ishvp1979

Mid/South Louisiana.  Deridder

WDH

Can you get a close up bark pic?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

Kinda resembles red maple with a lot more mineral than normal... or whatever youd call the stain streak.  
Praise The Lord

hacknchop

I'm with Mike on this one have a lot of red mpl on our place we call them all soft mpl as opposed to hard mpl but that's what I  thought.  
Often wrong never indoubt

WDH

That is what I think that it is, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ljohnsaw

I would just call it spectacular! 8)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

moodnacreek

I just cut sweet gum and that what it looks like to me.

WDH

Our sweetgum is more brown and red with blue and gray streaks. 

Magicman

Sawed Sweetgum last week. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mike_belben

I think the wood in question is too straight grained to be a gum.  Note the feathers and flames in lynns second post where the grain spirals.
Praise The Lord

WDH

I am confident that it is red maple. 

Magicman

I am just as confident that it ain't Sweetgum. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

two tired

Do you have a picture of  the bark or the  tree standing, was the tree a yard  tree 
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

moodnacreek

The sweet gum I sawed was a first for Me. Very uncommon up here, in fact it came from N.J. However I sure have sawed red, silver, Norway and hard maple and never saw sticky sap. The sap on soft maple is like water.

mike_belben

Yeah and if you leave two or more sap filled boards stacked together with no air space for a few days youll actually start to smell the sugars in them ferment a little.  It smells like rotten fruit or cider starting to turn. Flies, gnats, ants and yellow jackets all over it. 
Praise The Lord

trim4u2nv

Looks like chinese elm.  Splits very stringy?, breaks off branches in ice storms?

moodnacreek

Quote from: trim4u2nv on February 18, 2019, 07:27:39 PM
Looks like chinese elm.  Splits very stringy?, breaks off branches in ice storms?
Well, a non native species. Can't expect the average local to know about trees that don't belong. Dawn redwood is about the only one for me. 

EOTE

I would probably bank on the red maple versus sweetgum (redgum).  The bark in the photos looks similar to sweetgum but the wood grain in sweetgum seems more variable than what I see presented by Ishvp1979.   I thought about red elm but the bark and wood is completely different, plus it has a very distinct and really unpleasant odor when cut.

Here are some additional sweetgum photos of logs I have cut.  

Here is red elm...

Thoughts?
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Thank You Sponsors!