iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please verify species

Started by doctorb, June 13, 2018, 01:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

I am starting an experiment on firewood seasoning.  The picture above is a round split into the six pieces for testing, and spray painted on the bark for identification later.  Please confirm the species of wood.  I believe it is either a red or black oak.

Thank you.  Once confirmed I will create a new thread in the firewood section discussing the experiment.  This was a live tree that was blown over in a storm a few months ago.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

cutterboy

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

btulloh

The bark looks like chestnut oak.  WDH will be along in while to clear it up for sure though.
HM126

doctorb

There is a fair amount of chestnut oak in the area.  But I also have white, red, and black.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

DelawhereJoe

Is thats the trees leaf on the ground next to the split round in the first pic ? Looks kinda like chestnut oak to me.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DelawhereJoe

WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Don P

Narrow rays, ski trails in the bark in the background, I'm guessing northern red.

doctorb

This tree came down before the spring leaf-out.  So I don't think that leaf on the ground is necessarily associated with these rounds.  But I agree, it kinda looks like a chestnut oak leaf, but pretty small.

thecfarm

Looks like you had to hit it a few times to split. Most times,as long as a limb is not close by,a red oak will pop right open because of the straight grain.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Weekend_Sawyer

I'd say it's chestnut oak. I have a lot of it.
It's in the white oak family.

That's all I got...
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Southside

You know what's funny about chestnut oak - I have had people get mad at me for selling it to them as a white oak claiming it was a red oak, and others claiming they wanted red and chestnut was too white.....all from the same log no less.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doctorb

The thread that started this discussion was on drying red oak.  I don't think the experiment will be greatly altered if this is a chestnut oak, as the charts I looked up did not have too much of a difference in BTU value for the different oaks.  Couldn't find one that mentioned chestnut oak, but I'm sure that info is out there.  Still need the guru of tree ID to weigh in.....calling Danny!

thecfarm-

Look!  I'm an old guy!  Yes, the round didn't pop open on the first swing.  The second swing was not precisely placed where the first had landed, so it took a third swing to divide the round into two.  After that.....pop, pop, pop.

You guys don't miss a trick, do you.

thecfarm

doctorb,not calling you an old guy. :D  But from the marks on that end,red oak SHOULD have popped open. Red oak splits easy,real easy. If no knots close by.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

I believe it to be chestnut as well.  The bark is exactly right.  The heartwood color is too.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!