iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

waste material storage

Started by Fabiola, September 03, 2003, 03:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabiola

Hello everyone, long time I have been just reading the post not posting anything. Now I am back and I have a question, or an request. I am writting a project about waste material storage (I hope that is the mane). The problem is that I will have to translate it to english soon and I have no idea about the vocabulary used for it. So, if any of you had any information, site, anything where I could read and get the vocabulary, I would be realy thankfull.
Fabíola
Fabíola Vieira
Forestry Engineer
Brasil

Tom

Hey Fab, :)
I don't know of a Vocabulary site where one could school yourself but by using the English version of "Word", assuming there might be other translations, you can have your English edited.  As you type, the program will underline words and phrases in which it detects spelling errors or cumbersome phrasing.

If it isn't too long of a work and you feel uncomfortable with it still, then send it to me and I'll do my best to do some editing.

It has to be your best effort at English first though.  My Portuguese is non-existent. :D

Fla._Deadheader

Wouldn't one of those language translater programs work??? That's what I use, when I head to Costa Rica for a couple of weeks. Type out several "key" questions AND answers, and then print the thing in both languages.  It gets REAL close. ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Fabiola

I had try all this. I am not confident about it. I need technical words. It is like if you had to write something in a medical way. You would need to know the vocabulary for it. What you would do? Read some papers about it. That is what I need. Papers to get familiarized with the vocaburary.
Thanks again and I will "use" you guys anyway!
Fabíola.
Fabíola Vieira
Forestry Engineer
Brasil

woodhaven

I know I sure can't help. I'm just a good old Southern Redneck and have a hard enough time with our own English.
Richard

beenthere

For starters, what is the waste material that you want to store? And why do you want to store it?  

I would then search on Google and try to find articles or sources of information which you can read. I suspect whatever it is you want to store, someone has written about it.   Also, search on the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) site, and see if there is a document that covers the subject you are specifically interested in learning more about.

Lastly, follow the advice about using " Microsoft Word" (or others) to get help on your English and sentence structure. You seem to have a good start with the English language, and probably can improve it using this software to fine tune your writing. (Don't try to pattern your writing after some of the things you read here, as we witness many distortions of the language  ;D ;D ;D  .  Some are even typo's, and some are even intentional - I think  ;D ??? ::))
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fabiola

Bennthere, it is not a real storage. It is a place to put it away. I do not know the name. That is my big problem. I even have no idea what I am looking for.
I will try the site you said. Tahnks.
Fabíola.
Fabíola Vieira
Forestry Engineer
Brasil

beenthere

Fabian
 What is the material that you are calling waste?    ???

Or is it a "secret"? ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fabiola

Any trash material.
Garbage!
Disposable material...
Fabíola Vieira
Forestry Engineer
Brasil

Rick Schmalzried

Fab,
I think the term you are looking for is "land fill".  Perhaps "sanitary land fill".

Hope this helps.
_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

Fabiola

:D :D :D :D :DYES!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
That is what I am looking for!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can some one gime ANY paper on that so I can build up a vocabulary!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fabíola.
Fabíola Vieira
Forestry Engineer
Brasil

Haytrader

Or I was thinking:

Diposal site
Haytrader

Fabiola

Yes. Also!
Now that I know waht I am looking for... Did someone has any information on landfill and/or disposal site so I could read and get some vocabulary? What ever it is. I just need vocabulary!!!!!
Thanks.
Fabíola.
Fabíola Vieira
Forestry Engineer
Brasil

Tom

Fabiola,
Put Sanitary Landfill or Design Sanitary Landfill in a Google search.  I did and found many cities describing their landfills.

Fabiola

Thanks Tom. I search at Altavista and I found lots of things. Thanks everybody!
Fabíola.
Fabíola Vieira
Forestry Engineer
Brasil

DouginUtah

Fabiola,

Just wondering if you have solved your translation problems.

Do you know that you can go to:
http://www.google.com/language_tools
and translate single words or whole web pages into English from Portuguese?

I used your link http://www.ilhagrande.com.br/ and was able to read it in English (text only).

Try it to see if it would help you find the right words.

Hope this helps.

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Frank_Pender

Well, Fab, I am sorry that I am so late in getttiing to read about what it was you were looking for.  I have a Master Degree in "Garbology".  I "picked it up" :D about 34 years ago while working on one of two teaching certifications, undergraduate and graduate degrees in education. :-/   You might want to check out the term "garbology" . Arizona State University , I believe, is the only university in the country that soneone can now earn a Masters in Garbology.  Worth a try. :P  I have also worked a number of summer years ago operating a garbage truck.  What a blast of fun. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Fabiola

Thanks guys...
Doug, I already put the the home page address at 'Favorities".
Tell me Frank, do you know any other tecnology beside burn to have steam to generate energy with garbage?
Fabíola.
Fabíola Vieira
Forestry Engineer
Brasil

Frank_Pender

If you mean like recycling that which is not burned, yes.  We have a number of centers here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon that do a great deal of composting of decomposing of materials as well as those that do not decompose easily, such as metals.  they too are taken and used over along weith plastics, glass, etc. We have a firm in the Portland area that recycles plastics into fence posts as well as mixing with wood fiber, if I am not mistaken.  You might want to try and contact the Oregon Department of Enviornmental Quality for mosre about what is happening in those areas.
Frank Pender

Furby

I think she wants to make steam to generate electricity with, useing waste material but without burning it.
Did I get that right Fab?

Frank_Pender

Yes.  There is a recovery process for retrieving the methane gasses produced at landfills. This in turn is used for energy production.  They are doing this same thing with animal waste at a 200+ cow dairy in my area.  PGE has installed a system whereby they are extracting the methan gases to turn turbins, in turn producing electicity.
Frank Pender

Tom

We have a couple of sanitary landfills here in Jacksonville that are producing electricity from methane to power the homes in close proximity to the "methane generator".

dan-l-b

Hi Fab,  A friend that works with me now used to build and maintain cells at a landfill in our area.  He had to take so many class hours per year to keep up state certification and was involved from the major excavation and lining to the actual filling of the area with trash.  He tells a story of a breach in a liner in an existing landfill..  I can't remember the exact term, but he said cleaning up the "landfill OZZ" was THE worst job he ever had.  He has some incredible stories and was amazed at what people threw away.   Dan

dan-l-b

Fabiola, the oozz is called "leach aid" and I don't mean lemon aid.  IT doesn't glow but it is pretty nasty stuff. :o :o :o

Fabiola

Hi guys, Furby is right.
I think she wants to make steam to generate electricity with, useing waste material but without burning it.
Did I get that right Fab?

I do know about Metan in landfill. I got the environmental licence for a landfill here in Rio state. They are building one huge landfill, environmentally friend and they will take the Metan from it. Nice deal.
I heard about a new technology that produce a fibre from the trash. And this fiber produce the steam. Did anyone know about that?
About leach-aid, this is the worse thing about landfill not controlled. It can get into the ground and contanined all the land. But, if you collected it, you can also "cook" and get stean out of it.
"Nothing can be lost, nothing can be created. Everyting is transformed."
Thanks,
Fabíola.
Fabíola Vieira
Forestry Engineer
Brasil

Thank You Sponsors!