iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How you all holding up?

Started by Drew62, March 12, 2019, 12:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Pain is relative.  Yes that could mean your sister in law is a pain, but also it is what you are used to.  The pain scale is a way to communicate your pain, but is still the pt. perception of their pain.  It is stated that a 0 is no pain and a 10 is the worst pain of your life.  by definition being born would be a 10/10.  An 18 y/o boy betting numbed for a stitches will sometimes scream for their mom to hold their right hand and for their girlfriend to hold their left hand, and kick their feet as their mom tells me they have a "high pain threshold".  In the 1980s the healthcare system started accusing docs of not taking pain seriously and to listen to the patients.  Now we have a opioid crisis and everyone blames the docs and pharmacies.  The 80 y/o ladies during the same procedures or worse ask, "so how many children do you have doctor".  if you hurt every day getting out of bed, you just stop complaining!   :)  My hats off to the 80 y/o ladies.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on March 29, 2019, 09:16:12 AMMy hats off to the 80 y/o ladies.
OH boy Doc, ain't that the truth! I think it's universal. I haven't had the pleasure of assisting with a birth, so I will just take the ladies word as to the pain level and believe them. On the male side, the worst I have ever had in my ambulance that was conscious was a fella with bad kidney stones. His pain was so acute and vivid that I felt it myself. I felt so bad for the guy. Most trauma patients seemed temper the pain with fear, except for the ped cases. Peds could be very cool, until Mom showed up.
 By far, the highest tolerance of pain I would see routinely was in 'older' women. I had one that fell and kept insisting she was fine, just needed help to the chair. The FD was going to do that when I stopped them to do a proper exam. My working diagnosis was that either she had a fractured hip or the top of the femur fractured. Told her she needed to go to the hospital for some repair work, she insisted she just need a chair. SO we very gently started the lift until she felt the true nature of her pain. Put her on a scoop stretcher, transfer to the ambulance and off she went. To this day, I cannot imagine how she tolerated that pain, and she was not unique, I saw more than a few of those. Them gals are tough ones, I'll give you that.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

Yes OG, I agree.  The 10/10 pain during birth was from the babies point of view, since it is the very beginning of life outside the womb, and therefore by definition the worst pain they have ever had!!  We as adults are happy when they cry, as that is a normal response to realizing you are wet and cold and naked in a room full of strangers... I suppose OG has a story about that as well :D :D :D :D :D  Ask you wife before you post your personal stories OG!!!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

I think it's best for all concerned if we just leave my wife out of it. ;D ;D Both our kids were c-section and they wouldn't let me be present. I had a rule that there were no babies allowed to be born in my ambulance, and stuck to it through my 'career'. A messy trauma is easier to clean up and decon than child birth. Messy traumas usually had less screaming too.
 I have been wet and cold and naked in a room, but always made it a policy of not being with strangers when it happened. ;D :D :D No real need to share those stories here either.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Logger RK

A older Logger I know told me he remembers the day he was born. But he was so traumatized by it he couldn't talk till he was 2 or 3 years old

Texas Ranger

Bad knees and hips from  making my living on my hind legs, hearing loss due to loud bangs 55 years ago, VA hearing aides help, but not the tinnitus.  Dislocated shoulder in College, makes it burn with repetitive action. A variety of scars, knitted bones, aches and pains, but hey, I am still here and kicking but no one  around my house listens to my complaints.  8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

lxskllr

Quote from: Logger RK on March 29, 2019, 03:54:07 PM
A older Logger I know told me he remembers the day he was born. But he was so traumatized by it he couldn't talk till he was 2 or 3 years old

realzed

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 29, 2019, 10:20:14 AM

On the male side, the worst I have ever had in my ambulance that was conscious was a fella with bad kidney stones. His pain was so acute and vivid that I felt it myself. I felt so bad for the guy. 
I can relate to the 'stones' deal.. I had attacks every morning at 4AM for a month solid before they finally got me to a Southern Ontario clinic for a Lithotripsy session.  
When loading me up with Morphine for the flight home 24 hours after the procedure - one particularly nice ER nurse leaned over to me and said - "I've had 4 kids - a pair of them fairly large twins and I've also had a kidney stone.. and if I had to - I'd gladly take 4 more before I'd ever take another stone again"..
I didn't make it all of the flight home before the Morphine finally wore off and the pile of bits started to move around that was a true Hell - in and of itself..
From what little I do recall of my flight, I remember the stewardess remarking to me that she had never seen anyone's skin tone turn so grey in color before..    

doc henderson

Yes, I have had 2 kidney stones. The first in med school and the second a few years ago.  Your body does not know what to do, so you vomit, then pee, then feel like you need to have a BM.  The nerves involved are close to those involved with uterine pain in child birth but no break between contractions.  
the only advantage is when I show up at 2 am, they tell me "the Doc wants to know what you want".  I say a liter of saline, a CT, 8 mg of zofran and 1 mg of dilaudid please.  

gspren

I'm in good shape for the shape that I'm in! My only injury in Viet Nam was a broken heart and I later found a good woman that healed it up. A bum ankle from playing with a Bultaco Matador motorcycle but I'm still having fun.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

doc henderson

My grandma always said she was "sick and tired of being sick and tired"!
she also said "the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys" and "he who dies with the most toys wins!"

realzed

Quote from: doc henderson on March 30, 2019, 10:53:42 AM
Yes, I have had 2 kidney stones. The first in med school and the second a few years ago.  Your body does not know what to do, so you vomit, then pee, then feel like you need to have a BM.  The nerves involved are close to those involved with uterine pain in child birth but no break between contractions.  
the only advantage is when I show up at 2 am, they tell me "the Doc wants to know what you want".  I say a liter of saline, a CT, 8 mg of zofran and 1 mg of dilaudid please.  
Yup - and even after the meds - (they dull it slightly but even then you feel like you gut is ready to explode at any moment) and after hopefully you can pass something, the resulting deep ache for weeks felt like somebody had taken a baseball bat to my lower back with a vengeance.. 
I did manage to pass one or two smaller ones - biggest of which occurred when I was lying on a gurney in the hallway of the local ER and the doctors were amazed that it measured a full 1/4" in diameter apparently and they all ran around the ER showing it off like it was some kind of prized record catch at a local bass tourney! 
They all promised me that I would get it back since it was mine originally and I deserved it fully, for my efforts - but when I finally succumbed to the drugs and fell asleep and hour or so later - it disappeared off to some doctors office, for display purposes I guess.. 
The larger couple I had in subsequent episodes were estimated to be 3/4 of an inch in diameter from the X-ray estimates, and you can only imagine all of the fun they brought when they were blasted into the many smaller bits which still needed to work 'through the system' later on!
Haven't had any more of that in over 25 years and certainly have no wish at any point to return there..
My kidney has never felt quite the same even to this day!   

mredden

Discouraged.

Milled some 7 ft x 43" x 9/4 green pecan today. Couldn't move them on to my sticker stack. Losing muscle at 64.

doc henderson

those are some big heavy planks!!!keep on keepin on mredden

Thank You Sponsors!