iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Information on a "GAME"

Started by LaneC, April 13, 2015, 08:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

I know it is not just me, but I feel that a lot of people have never heard of this game and people are not being rude when they say it. I guess I am just hearing of it and it is something that a lot of folks may find offensive if they have never heard of it. The game is called corn hole. It is similar to horse shoes and you throw a bag(should be full of corn, hence the name) like a bean bag and try to make it into a hole on a board 27 feet away. I am just telling this because I almost smacked someone for saying "have you ever played corn hole?" in front of myself and wife. I know it may sound funny, but I am trying to let people know that if someone says anything like that to you, DO NOT hit them ;D. It is a legitimate game and quite popular with the younger generation. When I was coming up, if I would have said something like that, I would have been picking myself up off of the deck. Just a little FYI for those who have never heard of, It is nothing vulgar so be forewarned.
Man makes plans and God smiles

WV Sawmiller

I've heard of it and a vendor sells them at a local flea market I frequent. I think it is a legitimate game and may have been played with ears of corn lobbed through holes of different sizes and difficulty. I'd think they could have come up with a better name but it has a following.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Yea,kinda like saying,do you want grits with that,up here in Maine.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

I've heard the name of the game is Corn-holeo. It is a good yard game played with cloth bags of corn.

Best not let the mind slip into the gutter here.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LaneC

I agree about the gutter part. I think the holeo part would be more appropriate. Anywho, I am just trying to prepare folks if they have never heard of it, and let them know it is a simple clean game. They have official rules and tournaments are played as well. Down here it is called corn hole ;)

Ron Wenrich

You could put beans in the bag instead of corn.  Then change the name.  We always called those bean bags when I was a kid. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Corley5

Cornholio is a "Beevis and Butthead" character http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beavis
Corn hole is a bean bag toss game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole  It is a real game http://www.cornhole.com/   ;) ;D :D :) 8) 8)  I've never played  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SawyerBrown

It is extremely popular around here.  In the summertime, they'll have tournaments with nice prizes, and some of the folks are amazingly good.  Many of the boards are painted with various themes ... school colors, John Deere green and yellow, etc

I've heard it called bean bag toss or just bag toss, as well as corn hole.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

sandsawmill14

Quote from: LaneC on April 13, 2015, 08:23:43 PM
I know it is not just me, but I feel that a lot of people have never heard of this game and people are not being rude when they say it. I guess I am just hearing of it and it is something that a lot of folks may find offensive if they have never heard of it. The game is called corn hole. It is similar to horse shoes and you throw a bag(should be full of corn, hence the name) like a bean bag and try to make it into a hole on a board 27 feet away. I am just telling this because I almost smacked someone for saying "have you ever played corn hole?" in front of myself and wife. I know it may sound funny, but I am trying to let people know that if someone says anything like that to you, DO NOT hit them ;D. It is a legitimate game and quite popular with the younger generation. When I was coming up, if I would have said something like that, I would have been picking myself up off of the deck. Just a little FYI for those who have never heard of, It is nothing vulgar so be forewarned.

I had  the same reaction first time i heard of it  :-[ :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

r.man

This is why it is always good to suppress the first and subsequent urges to punch someone. Personally I grew up with the original lawn darts, sharp metal projectiles flung through the air long distances by people with limited motor skills. Funny how things are, I don't ever recall anyone getting hurt by a lawn dart and we played a lot. When scooters and trampolines became popular there were lots of emergency room visits all over the place.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Roger2561

Growing up we pitched a lot of horse-shoes mainly to kill time on a Sunday afternoon.  Dad was adamant that Sunday was a day of rest, playing games, etc... regardless of what the work load looked like.  The work was done Monday through Saturday.  We would have competitions between us every time we played.  One of my siblings purchased the dart game and we held competitions with those too.  No one got hurt.  We knew to pay attention and we knew better (common sense) than to walk in the path of one that's air-born.  I haven't seen the darts game in years.  Are they sold anymore or have they been removed from production?  Roger
Roger

LaneC

They still sell them. They have tournaments at various places. I do not think it is as popular as it used to be.

John Mc

Corn Hole is big with the RV crowd around here. A lot of folks travel with the game in their campers, and set up when they get to the camp ground.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

kwendt

It's a huge deal down in Florida. I never heard of it before... and I was similar to others: "what?????? " kinda stupid really. It's just like a bean bag toss game, but they've invented all these "official rules"...proper distance, points, stance, etc. Really Just toss the dang little baggies of beans or corn or pellets or whatever... try to get them to the target, through the holes cut there in. And try to keep the dog from playing fetch with the bags while you're at it... !

I stand back and watch the 20's and 30's something... rave about it like they are playing an upscale lacrosse combined with 'back to nature'. lol. I scratch my head and think.... I've got to attend to that back 8 acre field... so I can get me some eating corn.. not tossing corn...  ;D [fun game though...]
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

kwendt

Quote from: John Mc on April 14, 2015, 01:21:35 PM
Corn Hole is big with the RV crowd around here. A lot of folks travel with the game in their campers, and set up when they get to the camp ground.
Could it be because corn hole bags are smaller and lighter than Bocci (sp?) or bowling balls? Just askin!  :P
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

Thank You Sponsors!