iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 066

Started by Kevin, July 25, 2001, 08:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

For those of you running a 066 what drive rim sprocket are you using, the 7 or 8?
Thanks.

Jake

Depends on how long of bar and what type of chain.On 28" bar with full skip chiesel I prefer 8 tooth ,with full comp. a 7 would be better.Shorter bar and chain combo's should pull 8 tooth just fine,longer would take a 7.Check out Madsens1.com for more on sprocket tuning.Jake

Kevin

Jake;
How many drivers on your 28" bar chain loop with the 8 tooth rim sprocket, 91 ?

CharlieJ

Kevin,

I use a  7" sprocket for my 24" bar. I haven't tried an 8 but everyone tells me it will break chains
when used for ripping.

Charlie

Kevin

Charlie,
Do you know if it`s the low pro that`s breaking?

Jake

Kevin,
  My 28" loops are 91 drivers w/8 tooth ,never broke a chain,but I have never tried it with a mill to do any ripping.Jake

Kevin

I`ve used the 8 for ripping on a 28" bar with Oregon RD and it worked fine but the Carlton low pro on a 30" bar looked like it wanted to derail using the same 8.
The Carlton loop has 97 drivers for the 30" bar.
Reducing the drivers might help with the low pro but I`m not sure if that`s possible with the GB bar I was using.

Timber_Tramp

Hi There, the nice thing about the smaller 7T sprocket is that it conforms more uniformly with the tail of the bar, thus reducing chain throw and bar chipping in that area. Plus, you get more torque, but I dont believe the stock 066 has the jam to drive an 8 tooth with anything more than a 16" bar, efficiently speaking. I find that chain throw can  be reduced by getting  the heel of the  bar as close to the sprocket as possible, without blocking the oil outlet.
    John

Frank_Pender

I run an 066 stock with a 36" bar a #7 sprocket.   I have used it to fall  a 7' Sequoia as well as ripping  9' sections into 1/4s to run through the mill.  I did not have a ripping chain, so I used my regular skip tooth chisel bit for the job.  I was unable the reach through from both sides, and had to use the forks on the tractor to finish the job as splitting weges. :D :D :D
Frank Pender

Kevin

Frank, you`re a loose cannon!  :D

I`m now using a 7 rim with a 28" bar and full skip for ripping.
I just tuned up a large white pine on the weekend and milled a whack of lumber to compliment my back yard.

Eggsander

Kevin,
Does that full skip mill fairly smooth for you? I tried grinding a milling chain using a full skip I had, and really cut poorly. I might have just loused the chain up when I was taking the top plates off or something. Just wondering.
You wouldn't want to roll a few of them big white pine down this way would you? I'm trying to find some for wall planking for the house. ;)
Steve

Kevin

Egg,
The smooth cut comes from the angle on the top plate.
10o will give you a finish similar to a bandsaw.
Oregon RA has a 15o factory angle on the top plate with .025" on the rakers.
When they need tuning I file them at 10o and put .030" clearance on the rakers.
73 and 72 RA is hard to come by but I`ve managed to get my mitts on some up here
and will continue to use it until Oregons special agents discover I have it.
You can check their RD, it`s similar but the top plate angle was either 30 or 35o on the batch I saw at my dealers but their book has it at 10-15o.
They might have modified it, I`m not sure but I`ll find out.
RD is semi chisel and RA has some type of micro grind but the two are very similar.

Frank_Pender

Kevin, that is why I lasted 30 years as a 7th grade teacher. :D :D :D :D
Frank Pender

Kevin

Egg,
My dealer tells me Oregon RD has a 25o top plate angle, at least in Canada it does.

Eggsander

Kevin, thanks for that info I'll try to look up that chain around here. So far I've always ground my own milling chain. The first ones were full comp and I just ground them straight across with about a 50d hook, and they worked pretty well but cut slow. Then I tried a skip chain on which I trimmed off pairs of top plates to make rakers, and ground the remaining teeth as before. That thing cut so bad it was basically unusable. I thought maybe the problem was using skip chain, that it got too unstable with so few teeth. Guess that weren't it.  :P
Steve

Kevin

Check with your local Oregon dealer, my dealer said it has a 25o top plate but when I checked the back side on one of my boxes it describes RD with a 10-15o top plate, the 25o she quoted me is the raker clearance and it`s .025".
The problem with grinding your own chains to 10o is the chance of taking the hardness out of cutter thus destroying the chain.
I prefer buying the chain factory ground to 15o then slowly file grind it to 10o over time with normal sharpening.
Full skip is a wildcat and should only be used in a milling frame (in my opinion) because of the extremely high kick back potential.
It sounds like you are using a 50o inside top plate angle, the side plate hook I mention is for the side plate on chisel and semi chisel cutters.

Thank You Sponsors!