iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black spots on Oak

Started by D._Frederick, March 26, 2010, 06:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

While gluing up oak, I end up with black spots from the reaction with the glue and the iron clamps. On sold wood I just sand them out, but with veneer that is only 1/32 inch thick that don't work.

Does bleaching work and what kind of bleach?

beenthere

Maybe best is don't let the steel touch the oak.

Use some thin pieces of plastic, or scrap veneer, or other material under the steel of the clamps.

You also can try some samples of black stain from the clamps, and see if bleach will work. I don't believe it will be effective enough.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ohsoloco

I usually use wax paper in between the clamps and wood to prevent staining.  Don't know how you would remove the stain though  :-\

CHARLIE

Buy a can of that plastic that you can dip handles and stuff in to give them a rubber type coating. Then dip the tips of your clamps in it.   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

LeeB

Somebody correct me, but I think oxalic acid will take the stains out.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

I believe your right LeeB. I've never heard of it before, but did a quick Google and seems like a lot of hits about stain removal. I know a natural source of oxalic acid is wood sorrel, but never heard of it's use on stain. I also know that it can cause your speech some trouble if enough is ingested from those sorrel garnished salads. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

okie

does Galvanized metal still cause the black stain?
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

ohsoloco

Quote from: CHARLIE on March 27, 2010, 01:52:27 AM
Buy a can of that plastic that you can dip handles and stuff in to give them a rubber type coating. Then dip the tips of your clamps in it.   

Charlie, it's not so much the tips of the clamps that cause the problems (at least in my experience, anyway), but the actual iron pipe.  The glue from the joint seeps out and then comes in contact with the pipe...this is where the black/blue staining occurs. 

LeeB

Galvinized will help but the clamps don't bite as good and tend to slide on the galvinized.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dodgy Loner

Oxalic acid will work from what I've read. I use galvanized pipe clamps and have had no problems with slipping. If your clamps slip, it's the clamps' fault, not the pipes! :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

isawlogs

It is the tannin in the oak that , when in contact with steel/iron will oxydise and cause the blue stain. Stainless steel will prevent/solve this . Any of you that have a sawmill will have noticed when sawing oak, helmlock, butternut also, that any part of that wood that comes in contact with bunks or clamps that are not covered with stainless steel will get this reaction.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Butternut will stain quick for sure.  But it sands off a lot quicker than oak.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fiddle1

oxalic acid works -----its like a salt ----sometimes called wood bleach-----water it down first.
little bit goes along way its best to use dust mask when you use it

woodsteach

Yep use the oxy acid.  Daub a little on a swab and wipe it on the stain and usually it goes away!
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

JimTwoSticks

Iron-Tannic stain can be a pain (how poetic) ::)

This document is a good summary of what it is and how to fix it/prevent it
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/finlines/willi02c.pdf

Thank You Sponsors!